PDA

View Full Version : Computer Pro's....I need help please.

Straight Shooter
09-12-12, 01:07
Having a very frustrating problem. I keep losing internet connection.
Itll be on just fine for days...then all of a sudden go out.
Im running a splitter that is also hooked to my bigscreen.
When I hook the wall cable up directly to the modem, as it is right now, everything is fine as long as it stays that way.
But, to watch tv, Ive got to unhook/hook up everything, then I loose internet, cant be on tv and internet at the same time.
Now, Ive been thru about 5 splitters in 6 months, the one here now isnt 2 months old.
Whats going on here? Aint the modem, it works fine when directly hooked up to the cable. If its the splitter, why is it going thru so many of them?
Ideas & suggestions welcomed!:confused:

SMETNA
09-12-12, 01:39
Make an appointment with the provider. (hopefully its free?)

The last time I had some issues with intermittent service, the Time Warner technician said that cable modems are finicky in that they don't like too much OR too little signal.

They'll have diagnostic gear that'll figure out your issue.

Straight Shooter
09-12-12, 01:52
Thanks SMETNA-
I been stood up 7 times now by ComCast. Cant get them out here.
Im in an apartment complex and they are the only ones who can provide service here, or I would have already switched! Boy have I raised hell with them, and I was hoping someone here would have an answer so I dont have to fool with these idiots again.

SMETNA
09-12-12, 03:34
That's all I've got. Call for help.

Damn I'm good. :rolleyes: :D

tb-av
09-12-12, 07:19
Yes, it sounds like you are at the end of the line. Your signal is probably strong enough to run the modem but when you split it you drop several dB's which is apparently just enough to loose signal.

Connect your modem directly to your PC. go to your browser adn type...

http://192.168.0.1 that -may- take you to a diags page.

Look for some number in dB.
You are looking for a set that says something like -15dB to 15 dB.

If they are lower like -10 to 10 or -6 to 6 that's good. Over 15 is no good.

Then there will be another number between 50 and 30. If it's outside that range it's no good. Lower is better.

Tell Comcast you want it elevated to a technician and that you have reason to believe your signal strength is out of spec. It could be the modem is bad as well.

Straight Shooter
09-12-12, 07:56
THANKS tb-av,
I will tell them that. And...being IGNORENT about computers, how do I connect the modem to the pc?
And..IF the modem is bad, why does it work fine when hooked up directly?
Again sir..thank you for the help.

Littlelebowski
09-12-12, 08:00
I'd look at cutting the connectors off and adding new ones or a different splitter or just new premanufactured cables all around. I doubt it's a connection speed problem - most likely physical. Ask yourself "what physically changes when the connection goes down?" Answer: the splitter and the cables.

tb-av
09-12-12, 08:22
I don't know what kind of splitter he has but I doubt he happened to get 5 or 6 bad ones. Plus he's in an apartment. No telling how many splits and run lengths before it gets to his outlet.

"I doubt it's a connection speed problem - most likely physical. Ask yourself "what physically changes when the connection goes down?" Answer: the splitter and the cables."

Not "speed" but "signal strength".

-------------------

SS - Your modem has an RJ45 ( big phone plug ) that connects to your router or PC. Just a regular internet cable ( Cat5 or Cat6 )( not the coax with the round silver plugs ).

If you have a router your chain looks like....

Coax from wall to modem --- modem RJ45 to router --- router via another RJ45 to PC.

Just remove the router from that scenario... Connect the modem into the PC via the RJ45 Jacks and cable.

Otherwise when you type 192.168.0.1 it's going to look for something in the router(most likely).

If you have good quality cables, short runs, quality 2 way splitter ( not a 4 or 6 or larger ) , then Comcast should fix the rest. They can install amplifiers if needed, or replace any defective cables or equipment.

tb-av
09-12-12, 08:30
-----double

Belmont31R
09-12-12, 21:38
So you're running a coax out of the wall, into a splitter, and then out of the splitter you're running one coax to the tv and one to the modem?

I could see issues with that. Not all splitters are created equal.

I think your issues would be solved if you had a proper splitter at the junction box and then had each device on its own coax out of the wall. You generally have one cable to the JB, a splitter, and then you have a coax wall outlet in each room.

Belmont31R
09-12-12, 22:23
I should also add you need to be getting comped for the down time. A couple years ago we were having a lot of trouble with our cable box were the signal was dropping off constantly. You need to be firm dealing with these people.

When we moved into the apartment earlier this year I wasn't getting the channels that I was supposed to be getting, and finally dialed the right person who comped our internet $20 a month for a year. We have standard cable through our apartment but pay extra for the HD box and internet.

We have 3 tv's going, modem with desktop pc, a laptop, and 2 smart phones running. Theres no way you should have to run one or the other with just an internet connection and a single TV. Make them comp your bill.

You do have options living in an apartment. Its against Federal law to block people from getting satellite TV, and if you live in good cell coverage you can get internet via a dedicated hotspot.