PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning gear

narco23
09-12-12, 10:36
Just received my first AR and was looking at getting some cleaning and lube products. I was leaning towards Slip stuff. I searched and found that there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on what to use. Seems like there are just as many using Slip, CLP or others. IS there a difference in performance or does it basically come down to cost/availability for most?

I know that froglube seems pretty well regarded but so does EWL.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Hmac
09-12-12, 11:25
Very possible to overthink this. Any good solvent like Hoppe's or maybe just plain old Stoddard solvent will work fine. Lubrication - Slip is fine, Frog lube is fine, Mobil 1 is fine, maybe Mobil 1 mixed with some ATF.

gesundheit
09-12-12, 18:33
Just received my first AR and was looking at getting some cleaning and lube products. I was leaning towards Slip stuff. I searched and found that there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on what to use. Seems like there are just as many using Slip, CLP or others. IS there a difference in performance or does it basically come down to cost/availability for most?

I know that froglube seems pretty well regarded but so does EWL.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Cleaning is both science and art. Most people stay with what they know works. Hence you have folks singing praise of Hoppes, CLP, Slip2000, Militec, Froglube, Dewey etc etc etc.

I would suggest that you start small withl what you think is the best for you and if that doesn't work switch to another brand.

currahee
09-12-12, 19:17
I've never really had a cleaner or lube hat didn't work. I used CLP for years but I would have to put some on (if I remembered) after a gun had been sitting in the safe for a while... I have switched to Hoppe's for cleaning (or CLP if it' handy) and Mobile 1 for lube and it works well.

I'm a cheap bastard.

zimm17
09-13-12, 19:50
I'm old school and still like CLP. I recently found hoppes bore snakes. Best invention ever. Use a coated Dewey rod with bore brush, then run a CLP soaked bore snake through 2-3 times and done with barrel! Still need to clean action and bolt though. Get some cut up rags, q tips and old toothbrush. Also a chamber brush.