PDA

View Full Version : Current State of Colt? -- update: GOT ONE ! ! !

blackscot
09-13-12, 11:12
Back during the 90's I shot mostly from a collection of 1911's, and most of them were Colts. Most of my past decade though has been behind various "Plastic-Fantastics". With recent resurrection of my reloading operation (closed down for several years while I shot entirely factory 9mm) I am once again able to economically shoot .45 ACP, so accordingly have been thinking of getting back into 1911's.

Even though there are now maaany makers of 1911's, still nothing has quite the same appeal to me looking around the local shops than the Colts. Call me stuck-in-my-ways, but none of the others seem to have the same personality or character.

I've heard different things about Colt in recent years though: ownership changes, quality ups and downs, and now maybe some parts not US made? :blink: Although I never had such doubts back in the day, I'd now like to first know what I'm getting if I choose Colt over any of the others.

So can anyone get an old fart up-to-modern-day on Colt's current generation of products? I'd like to get a 1911 I can "believe in", if that is still even possible given the wholly global world in which we now live.

Thanks.

RyanB
09-13-12, 12:09
They are better now than in the 70s and 80s.

C4IGrant
09-13-12, 12:10
They are better now than in the 70s and 80s.

True.

C4

blackscot
09-13-12, 12:57
That sounds encouraging. My very first was actually an '89 stainless Commander. Several more followed during the 90's, both in full-sized and Commander models and mostly from the "factory enhanced" line, and which I thought were better made than that first Commander.

Is it true about some foreign parts being currently used though?

charmcitycop
09-13-12, 17:42

blackscot
09-17-12, 08:16
I believe it was Larry Vickers who said that Colt is currently putting out the best 1911s they have ever produced (paraphrased)

Wow! I'll have to follow-up on that.

C4IGrant
09-17-12, 08:21
I believe it was Larry Vickers who said that Colt is currently putting out the best 1911s they have ever produced (paraphrased)

Correct.

C4

samuse
09-17-12, 08:46
You can believe whatever, but I'll throw this out there.

I've had four Colt 1911s made from '09-'11 and three of 'em were complete junk, even after going back to Colt.

fixit69
09-17-12, 17:56
OP, the colts are fine. I have shot many different 1911 models and the colts always rank high with me. I'll never sale my series 70 though. The factory must have gotten it right the first time...

rushca01
09-17-12, 18:09

I've had four Colt 1911s made from '09-'11 and three of 'em were complete junk, even after going back to Colt.

Can you give some details? I know you are a 1911 guy as I believe you own a SA custom carry.

What issues did you see /experience and what couldn't/wouldn't colt fix/get right?

Reason I ask is that many smiffs including LAV state the current production colts are the best they have seen. Hilton Yam stated on his Facebook page at a recent 1911 class 4 colts passed the extractor test out of the box.

Just curious is all.

R1J1D
09-17-12, 18:43
Can you give some details? I know you are a 1911 guy as I believe you own a SA custom carry.

What issues did you see /experience and what couldn't/wouldn't colt fix/get right?

Reason I ask is that many smiffs including LAV state the current production colts are the best they have seen. Hilton Yam stated on his Facebook page at a recent 1911 class 4 colts passed the extractor test out of the box.

Just curious is all.

sounds like colt is doing a little word of mouth promoting through their dealers. "better than evar!!!" I dont buy it personally

I am no expert on 1911 I just know marketing and I think colt is just trying to rebuild their Rep. with a new catchphrase.

rushca01
09-17-12, 19:18
sounds like colt is doing a little word of mouth promoting through their dealers. "better than evar!!!" I dont buy it personally

I am no expert on 1911 I just know marketing and I think colt is just trying to rebuild their Rep. with a new catchphrase.

Respectfully disagree. The people putting their names behind the brand don't just do it because they are paid or asked to.....they do because they are the very best of the best when it comes to 1911s.

AJD
09-17-12, 19:21
I have owned near a dozen Colt 1911's over the last 7 years and would say that the last few years have seen a real improvement over Colt's circa 2005-2008 in the area of fit and finish and consistency. Of the ones that were shooters I never had any real issues from a reliablity standpoint.

R1J1D
09-17-12, 19:28
Respectfully disagree. The people putting their names behind the brand don't just do it because they are paid or asked to.....they do because they are the very best of the best when it comes to 1911s.

I would like to believe that but what exactly are they doing differently now from back then. I am no expert like i said but I think there are better 1911 out there than colt.
I dont know when colt had problems with their 1911 quality it just seems now they decided to advertise Via word of mouth that their quality has improved.

the quoted post below changes my mind a bit. there are so many 1911's out there it was too hard to choose one so I never bought one I guess having my great uncles issued 1911 spoiled me and now thats all I want.

I have owned near a dozen Colt 1911's over the last 7 years and would say that the last few years have seen a real improvement over Colt's circa 2005-2008 in the area of fit and finish and consistency. Of the ones that were shooters I never had any real issues from a reliablity standpoint.

blackscot
09-18-12, 13:45
So far I am counting 6 yea and 2 nay. (Maybe I should have made this a poll?)

Anyway, sounds overall like a good choice if none of the other makes better suit my fancy.

samuse
09-18-12, 15:23

What issues did you see /experience and what couldn't/wouldn't colt fix/get right? .

Yeah I went through a 1911 kick for a few years, but I'm over that now. (I gave that Custom Carry to my little cousin.)

Colt #1: Series 80. Within 100 rounds the plunger tube got loose, extractor out of tune. Occasional failure to feed that Colt, Springfield Armory and Benny Hill could not fix. Slide was extremely loose.

Colt #2: O1918. Bought online, dealer promised it was a good one. Slide was all ****ed up. Hammer hit the slide, dustcover thin on one side, slide flats lopsided. Colt replaced the slide (it took 5 months) with one that had not been de burred, every edge on it was razor sharp and the cocking serrations were cut backward, hammer still hit slide.

Colt #3): Another O1918. Again bought online, dealer promised it looked good. End of slide cut crooked, big gap between the slide and bushing, just had piss poor machining all around. Looked to have been cut on a loose fixture or with an extremely dull tool.

The Series 80 could've been welded up and possibly fixed but #s 2&3 were scrap iron.

rushca01
09-18-12, 16:44
Yeah I went through a 1911 kick for a few years, but I'm over that now. (I gave that Custom Carry to my little cousin.)

Colt #1: Series 80. Within 100 rounds the plunger tube got loose, extractor out of tune. Occasional failure to feed that Colt, Springfield Armory and Benny Hill could not fix. Slide was extremely loose.

Colt #2: O1918. Bought online, dealer promised it was a good one. Slide was all ****ed up. Hammer hit the slide, dustcover thin on one side, slide flats lopsided. Colt replaced the slide (it took 5 months) with one that had not been de burred, every edge on it was razor sharp and the cocking serrations were cut backward, hammer still hit slide.

Colt #3): Another O1918. Again bought online, dealer promised it looked good. End of slide cut crooked, big gap between the slide and bushing, just had piss poor machining all around. Looked to have been cut on a loose fixture or with an extremely dull tool.

The Series 80 could've been welded up and possibly fixed but #s 2&3 were scrap iron.

Thanks for the reply, any other guns you want to donate?!

I would be curious to find out the production date on O1918's. Colt invested big money into new CNC machines a few years ago as they were still using machines that made guns during the last world war up until a few years back. I am by no way making excuses for Colt as the o1918s you describe sound terrible and I would have not excepted that either.

samuse
09-18-12, 20:08
Thanks for the reply, any other guns you want to donate?!

Nah, I'm done givin' away guns! I gave my little cousin a 6920 w/ Aimpoint, SOPMOD, KAC RAS, SF 962, 5 mags and a Vickers sling. He uses it to shoot hogs at night on my families farms since I'm not around anymore.

He got the Springfield just because I knew he'd beat the shit out it.

I do still have one O1918 that I bought from a pawn shop in Alaska that is just about perfect. It's loose, fairly sharp-edged and the rollmarks ain't real purdy, but it's a great shooter and everything appears to be in spec.

grendelbane
09-18-12, 20:17
I bought my first Colt in 1979, and another new one in 1983. I have owned a M1911 mixmaster, with a 1913 frame and a WWII slide. I have owned an early 1950s Commander.

I bought a New Agent in 2010. Yes, today's Colts are good. Better than the old ones, though not as pretty, of course.

I still regret not buying a 2011 anniversary Colt last year.:(

rushca01
09-18-12, 21:29
I bought my first Colt in 1979, and another new one in 1983. I have owned a M1911 mixmaster, with a 1913 frame and a WWII slide. I have owned an early 1950s Commander.

I bought a New Agent in 2010. Yes, today's Colts are good. Better than the old ones, though not as pretty, of course.

I still regret not buying a 2011 anniversary Colt last year.:(

Not sure if you were looking for the 1911-2011 roll mark or the 100 years of service roll mark but you can still find those for sale online and they generally command a "lessor" premium then ones made before the roll marks.

SteveS
09-21-12, 16:35
I would buy a Dan Wesson 1911. No better 1911 for the $$$$$

HackerF15E
09-22-12, 06:51
what exactly are they doing differently now from back then.

I think they took a tremendous beating for their "loose act" in the early '00s, especially the off-center recoil spring tunnel issues that were pretty widespread.

I've you've laid eyes on many of those era pistols, and compare them to current production ones, I personally notice a difference.

What have they changed? Only someone who works at the factory can tell you what is different there, but the end result getting shipped out the door is clearly better.

Nytcrawler93
09-22-12, 17:29
I just shot my new Colt 1911 today and it was very accurate and had zero fails. I used factory Colt Mags and went through a couple hundred rounds. 5 shot groups at 25 yds covered a 2x2 inch area free hand.

beltfed
09-29-12, 17:48
My Colts were all 90's era Enhanced models. They all sucked, if I can get over my experience with Yolanda from their customer service during that period I will own a new Combat Elite.

Everyone Ive looked at has been extremely well put together.

CAR
09-30-12, 08:02
I have a Series 70 Gold Cup, a Series 70 Government Model, a mid 1990's M1991A1 and a new 21st Century Commander.

I think the 21st Century Commander has the best over all fit and finish of them all, the slide edges are not beveled like on the older guns though.

B-Rad
09-30-12, 17:43
I like them, my custom shop gun should be here in a few more months

Denali
09-30-12, 20:31

Boy, that's really bad luck, really really bad luck! I'd like to see some documentation on that?

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/marines-tap-colt-45-sw-springfield.html

Those guy's would seem to be in complete disagreement with you, as am I!

OP, the Colt 1911's in current production, are better then any other offering on the market, period! Here's one of mine...

blackscot
11-07-12, 10:21
I had not been seeing a huge selection of Colts around my area, but eventually found a new mil-spec in stainless at one of my local shops, so picked it up -- Woohoo ! ! !

This will be the base for a "deja-vu" project gun like I built several of back in the 90's. I will fit it out with Ed Brown grip and thumb safeties and hammer, Smith and Alexander mag-well/mainspring-housing and black micarta grips, and some kind of guide rod and aftermarket trigger. Shall post before-and-after pics on a separate thread.

Of course shall also need new leather (no kydex for this pony) and more mags!

After nearly a decade of almost entirely plastic-fantastics, it feels great to once again own a "real" gun -- Woohoo ! ! ! :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

samuse
11-07-12, 10:48
Boy, that's really bad luck, really really bad luck! I'd like to see some documentation on that?

Those guy's would seem to be in complete disagreement with you, as am I!

OP, the Colt 1911's in current production, are better then any other offering on the market, period! Here's one of mine...

Documentation? It's a 1911, a hobby gun, I didn't document it, I sold 'em off and quit dicking around with toy guns.

newyork
11-07-12, 10:58
Why don't they use the Series 70 system in anything but the Retro line? Don't most 1911 guys want S70? Is the the Series 80 nitpicking a thing of the past?

BBossman
11-09-12, 20:10
Documentation? It's a 1911, a hobby gun, I didn't document it, I sold 'em off and quit dicking around with toy guns.

Serious question... Then why post in a 1911 sub forum? I used to own 3 Glocks but I don't troll Glock threads because I have nothing relevant to add...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

varoadking
11-10-12, 12:58
sounds like colt is doing a little word of mouth promoting through their dealers. "better than evar!!!" I dont buy it personally.

If you bought one you would...

"Evar" huh?

Redhat
11-10-12, 13:06
Serious question... Then why post in a 1911 sub forum? I used to own 3 Glocks but I don't troll Glock threads because I have nothing relevant to add...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

You'll find that happens here regularly.

bodhisattva
11-10-12, 20:07
I am planning on buying a new Colt sometime in 2013 after shooting a new Rail Gun. Does anyone know if the civvie MEUSOC M45 will be Series 70 or Series 80?

TJx
11-11-12, 05:54
I am planning on buying a new Colt sometime in 2013 after shooting a new Rail Gun. Does anyone know if the civvie MEUSOC M45 will be Series 70 or Series 80?

Series 80 according to the Gallery of Guns video.
Edit- I watched the video again and that is not where is saw it but here is a quote from a Colt employee on another forum...

"It is series 80. The color and the gun are exactly the same as the guns provided to the military other than we will be building them in the custom shop."

HackerF15E
11-11-12, 06:53
Why don't they use the Series 70 system in anything but the Retro line? Don't most 1911 guys want S70? Is the the Series 80 nitpicking a thing of the past?

The same reasons why Colt introduced that safety system originally are still the same motivators for keeping it around today.

From a consumer/shooter perspective, I don't know that it ever really was an issue to begin with. Most experienced 1911 shooters know that both systems can be made to function very well.

newyork
11-11-12, 09:29
Cool thank you. Deciding between $1000 on a Zcolt or twice that on a Baer.

Anomic
11-11-12, 12:39
Have 2500 rounds through mine without a single malfunction! I have a goldcup trophy from 2008 and this 2011 made 1991 is put together tighter. It does have razor sharp edges otherwise been great.

Did break the rear sight off bouncing around in the back of my pickup in a range bag. Something must have hit it pretty hard
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/conhntr3030/BEA2DEC6-C148-445B-9998-9B07F49B1FC4-628-00000113383E9A89.jpg

HackerF15E
11-11-12, 16:43
Cool thank you. Deciding between $1000 on a Zcolt or twice that on a Baer.

Really all depends on what you want and how you plan to use it.

IMHO, a stock Colt is perfectly good for most shooters.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-14-12, 20:40
They seem to be very well constructed. The only trouble with colts is when they have to do something non standard. They seems to be 50/50 on grip saftey installs.

Sam
11-14-12, 20:57
Have 2500 rounds through mine without a single malfunction! I have a goldcup trophy from 2008 and this 2011 made 1991 is put together tighter. It does have razor sharp edges otherwise been great.

Did break the rear sight off bouncing around in the back of my pickup in a range bag. Something must have hit it pretty hard
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/conhntr3030/BEA2DEC6-C148-445B-9998-9B07F49B1FC4-628-00000113383E9A89.jpg

A great opportunity to install an awesome sight by Harrison Design. The Retro will fit in the stock Colt dovetail with little or no modification.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa323/JustJohnIII/Basic%20Carry%20package/Basic3.jpg

policetested
11-17-12, 21:08
Colt 1911s are fine pistols if you want to pay for the lil pony and they will be right after you drop another $1000 to have all the razor sharp edges removed, night sights installed, trigger job done...might as well purchase a Wilson Combat, have it right from the box.

Redhat
11-17-12, 21:14
Colt 1911s are fine pistols if you want to pay for the lil pony and they will be right after you drop another $1000 to have all the razor sharp edges removed, night sights installed, trigger job done...might as well purchase a Wilson Combat, have it right from the box.

I have never shot any brand that I thought needed trigger work...but my duty weapon was a Beretta M9 so that could have something to do with it. As to sharp edges...never ran into that either. Where are these sharp edges so I know where to check next time I handle one?

policetested
11-17-12, 21:42
redhat...really...you have never felt the leading edges of the slide, frame, trigger guard, outside corner of the ejection port, the rear of the slide, slide stop, thumb safety...all have square sharp edges which tear up leather and hands.

Even the beloved Beretta M9 has them, sorry the CATM doesnt' see and feel them. M&Ps, Glocks, XDs, H&K P30s, Sig P250s all have nice smooth slides. On a 1911 that is the object of a bevel job; less wear on leather.

Back when I was a SP we had K-frames, my M16 was a three prong bird cage with triangle hand guards. We were high tech when Mag Lights were issued.

Redhat
11-17-12, 21:57
redhat...really...you have never felt the leading edges of the slide, frame, trigger guard, outside corner of the ejection port, the rear of the slide, slide stop, thumb safety...all have square sharp edges which tear up leather and hands.

Even the beloved Beretta M9 has them, sorry the CATM doesnt' see and feel them. M&Ps, Glocks, XDs, H&K P30s, Sig P250s all have nice smooth slides. On a 1911 that is the object of a bevel job; less wear on leather.

Back when I was a SP we had K-frames, my M16 was a three prong bird cage with triangle hand guards. We were high tech when Mag Lights were issued.

Nope I seriously haven't...and I go back to the days of the M16, prong/triangle and all just not the S&Ws. Anyway, next chance I get I'll look at the areas you mentioned.

The only sharp part I've found on the Beretta are the "fangs" on the rear of the slide.

wetidlerjr
11-18-12, 03:48

:rolleyes: I own many Colt 1911s and NONE have had any "razor sharp edges" that had to be removed, I don't need night sights and none of my recent purchases have needed trigger jobs.