PDA

View Full Version : Another first build...

Blstr88
09-13-12, 21:06
Finally finished this up...it's been a long time in the making. Not so much because of fancy hard-to-get parts, or anything...just that little "life" thing getting in the way.

For my first build I wanted a very basic carbine, no bells...just a rugged, well priced, accurate shooter. I think I got just that! I'm already excited about my next build, which Im planning to make a little "fancier"...but this is perfect for now!

- Spikes lower
- BCM blem upper
- BCM BCG
- Colt 16.5 barrel
- Daniel Defense rear sight
- Magpul furniture

Took it to the range and just put 30-round through it yesterday...took it home, cleaned her up real good, then back today to spend some time sighting it in. I think I got it about as good as it'll be...the sporatic shooting is more me than the rifle I think. I'll keep practicing and try to tighten those groups up a bit!

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/7C2AC9BA-290A-4257-B6CF-F105851FBA87-1839-00000478DA1E0F6A.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/13B4B209-A8F3-4841-8658-BA35A5542D35-1839-00000478D0CC4A83.jpg

The target on the right was at 50-yards, the two on the left were at 100-yards

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/F6A4946E-0562-4444-9B2F-01C951BF30FD-1839-00000478E664C3B5.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/A25CBDFC-96ED-4B5C-A1D7-FA024FE8B9CE-1839-00000478B5CA19C5.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/0D2FD2DA-E94D-41AA-98E3-2CC6068AAB1D-1839-00000478C744A00F.jpg

SpankMonkey
09-13-12, 21:14
keep practicing you need lots of it. Also move your rear sight back. It will be easier to look through the peep sight.

You have a nice looking gun. Enjoy it.

lethal dose
09-13-12, 21:17
Slick build. Very tasteful. Not familiar with that stock, but if it works... More power to ya! Great taste in keeping it simple. My only few suggestions are: 2 pt sling and light.

lethal dose
09-13-12, 21:19
As monkey said, keep slinging lead. Really doesn't look bad if you new shooting unsupported. Bench that thing and work slow.

mdain
09-13-12, 21:27
While you're moving the rear sight back on the receiver you might want to turn it around. It's mounted backwards in the photos. The adjustment drum should be on the right side of the rifle.

Also, be sure to use the small aperture for zeroing.

Blstr88
09-14-12, 09:27
Thanks guys...I'll take care of that rear sight today :secret:

I definitely do need more practice...I was also using a couple different kinds of ammo yesterday, so Im not sure how that affects the accuracy...I'll fix the rear sight and bring just 1 type of ammo with me next time I shoot and we'll see how that goes.

wahoo95
09-14-12, 10:36
Try bringing that stock in as it will help with getting a proper sight picture once you get your rear sight properly mounted.

Doc. Holiday
09-14-12, 10:41
If you are going to use different types of ammo, make sure you bring multiple sets of targets out and make sure you label which target got which ammo so you can find which ammo your gun/barrel likes the best.

Also, remember that the twist your barrel has is designed for different weights. The higher the twist, the lighter grain of bullet you will need to use and the lower the twist, the heaver the grain of bullet you will need to use for the best results.

Happy shooting and good job on on your first build.

fallenromeo
09-14-12, 11:31
Nice simple build. Not a big fan of the MFT stock, would rather have a magpul CTR personally. But I like simple guns.

Just curious, why did you make a trip to the range and only bring 30 rounds? Maybe it is just me, but unless the range is in your back yard, seems like a lot of wasted time and energy to me.

R1J1D
09-14-12, 13:34
Iwas wondering why the sight was so forward.

:secret: haha dont worry its not like they put an arrow on those things.

I like the smooth stock is it heavy?

Blstr88
09-14-12, 13:37
Nice simple build. Not a big fan of the MFT stock, would rather have a magpul CTR personally. But I like simple guns.

Just curious, why did you make a trip to the range and only bring 30 rounds? Maybe it is just me, but unless the range is in your back yard, seems like a lot of wasted time and energy to me.

Yeah I gotta say, Im regretting my choice in stock a little...I went to my local shop to buy a CTR actually and saw this one for the same price, so I grabbed it. It's actually comfortable and fits my shoulder real well, so Im going to keep it for now...but I feel like it "complicates" the simple look of my build...if that makes any sense? Anyway, its just a cosmetic thing for me, since it does fit comfortably...so it'll do for now. Down the road I may swap it out for a CTR.

As for the 30-rounds, yeah it would be...except the range is only about 15 minutes from me, and more importantly I was going to shoot pistol...I did my pistol shooting then jumped over onto the rifle range, fired the 1-magazine I brought, then went home. I just wanted to make sure it even worked (I was a little nervous that first time I pulled the trigger...I kept hoping I put it together right! ;))

RMiller
09-14-12, 17:40
I like it.....good build.

MistWolf
09-14-12, 19:49
If you are going to use different types of ammo, make sure you bring multiple sets of targets out and make sure you label which target got which ammo so you can find which ammo your gun/barrel likes the best.

Also, remember that the twist your barrel has is designed for different weights. The higher the twist, the lighter grain of bullet you will need to use and the lower the twist, the heaver the grain of bullet you will need to use for the best results.

Happy shooting and good job on on your first build.

It's bullet length and velocity that determines what twist should be needed, not weight

Blstr88
09-14-12, 21:20
It's bullet length and velocity that determines what twist should be needed, not weight

Isn't bullet length directly related to bullet weight...? The heavier the bullet = the longer the bullet...?

jw0312
09-15-12, 09:23
Nice build!

futureAT
09-15-12, 10:26
Just a suggestion - one thing that might help tighten your groups up is to lay off the caffeine before your trips to the range. I noticed you had an open energy drink on the bench (assuming it was yours), and caffeine, especially in the high amounts contained in energy drinks, can make it difficult to maintain a steady and consistent hold because it is a stimulant, making your nervous system excitable and jumpy and increasing your heart rate; not the greatest things to have going on when shooting for accuracy!

I'm a coffee drinker myself, I just don't do caffeine on shooting days.

Nice carbine by the way! Keep practicing and stay safe!

Blstr88
09-15-12, 20:35
Just a suggestion - one thing that might help tighten your groups up is to lay off the caffeine before your trips to the range. I noticed you had an open energy drink on the bench (assuming it was yours), and caffeine, especially in the high amounts contained in energy drinks, can make it difficult to maintain a steady and consistent hold because it is a stimulant, making your nervous system excitable and jumpy and increasing your heart rate; not the greatest things to have going on when shooting for accuracy!

I'm a coffee drinker myself, I just don't do caffeine on shooting days.

Nice carbine by the way! Keep practicing and stay safe!

Haha thanks...that actually isnt mine, I never cared for those energy drinks. However I DO have a coffee problem - I know, I know...the first step is admitting you have a problem. :p After so many years on the high seas it was inevitable that I would grow a dependancy on that beautiful black nectar. I'll try to remember to cut back on range days, although I think if I didnt drink any when I woke up I might be even shakier :D

MistWolf
09-16-12, 19:18
Isn't bullet length directly related to bullet weight...? The heavier the bullet = the longer the bullet...?

No. Actual bullet shape and material type means different bullets of the same weight vary widely in length. A lead round nosed bullet will be much shorter than a VLD (Very Low Drag) bullet made from solid copper of the same weight