PDA

View Full Version : H335 is dirty stuff....

skyugo
02-03-08, 16:01
just started doin some reloading with H335 powder. 55 grain FMJ bullets.
i had been using IMR 3031 or 4320 before.

100 rounds of H335 had my bolt feeling pretty cruddy. :mad:

how's this compare to Ramshot TAC? are ball style powders inherently dirtier than extruded? i might just switch back to IMR powders.

the H335 did group pretty nice though.

chadbag
02-08-08, 11:45
I have not tried 335 for a while but some powders are dirtier than others when using the "wrong" bullet weights or barrel lengths. Try it with some 62 grain bullets to see if you get the same problem. Also, some barrel lengths are less liked by certain powders than others. It all comes down to how complete the burn is. If the burn is not complete, you get a dirtier gun. Longer barrels sometimes help this as do heavier bullets, etc.

I once loaded up a ton of 40 S&W using a mid range recipe from the books using 3N37 from VV. This was straight out of the VV book. Major problems in my full size USP. Cases were filthy and some cycling problems occurred. I pulled it all and used the powder in some 9mm for a friends MP5 and it worked great and burned pretty clean.

Chad

skyugo
02-08-08, 15:56
I have not tried 335 for a while but some powders are dirtier than others when using the "wrong" bullet weights or barrel lengths. Try it with some 62 grain bullets to see if you get the same problem. Also, some barrel lengths are less liked by certain powders than others. It all comes down to how complete the burn is. If the burn is not complete, you get a dirtier gun. Longer barrels sometimes help this as do heavier bullets, etc.

I once loaded up a ton of 40 S&W using a mid range recipe from the books using 3N37 from VV. This was straight out of the VV book. Major problems in my full size USP. Cases were filthy and some cycling problems occurred. I pulled it all and used the powder in some 9mm for a friends MP5 and it worked great and burned pretty clean.

Chad

intersting...
i'm using 55 grain with a 16" barrel. i could see that being an incomplete burn. it works. just not as clean as IMR.

chadbag
02-08-08, 16:11
intersting...
i'm using 55 grain with a 16" barrel. i could see that being an incomplete burn. it works. just not as clean as IMR.

Other things to try:

- Try a small rifle magnum primer if you are using a plain small rifle (you probably should down adjust the load a grain or so to start if you do this and work back up).

- try more or less powder (as long as you have safe "room" to move)

The powder will not burn well if it does not get to a certain pressure.

Chad

Heavy Metal
02-08-08, 20:28
intersting...

You never told us how much you were using. I load 25.3 grains 335 behind a 55gr pill.

Never noticed any dirty burning.

skyugo
02-11-08, 20:07
You never told us how much you were using. I load 25.3 grains 335 behind a 55gr pill.

Never noticed any dirty burning.

24.5 has been my usual.

Heavy Metal
02-17-08, 19:54
Try going up to 25 grains.

Trim2L
02-17-08, 21:09
24.5 has been my usual.

No wonder, M193 uses 26.5gr of Win844/H335. That powder does a lot better as the pressures rise.

H335 is/was made under contract by Winchester Ammunition which previously made it for use in M193 as Winchester 844.

skyugo
02-18-08, 21:01
No wonder, M193 uses 26.5gr of Win844/H335. That powder does a lot better as the pressures rise.

H335 is/was made under contract by Winchester Ammunition which previously made it for use in M193 as Winchester 844.

ooh.. so i'm getting a crappy burn due to low pressures... good info. thanks