PDA

View Full Version : Ruger sr9c lite strikes

DeviousMind
09-14-12, 22:25
Pistol has been flawless for well over 1500 rounds. Shoots anything, never had any malfunctions. Well today I had 4 lite strikes. Pull the round out and it looks fine and can see the indentation on the primer from being struck with firing pin. Load round back in and pull the trigger and it goes boom. Took pistol home and broke it down. Everything looks ok as far as I can tell. Gave it a good cleaning. While cleaning it I did notice some brass shavings I think, it looked like glitter to me, so I got all that out. Do you think that was the issue? Have not been able to shoot it since cleaning it. Also anybody that knows something to look for when I do go to the range feel free to let me know. This is my wife's EDC gun so I want to make sure it's reliable. Thanks for your help

Lomshek
09-14-12, 23:39
A friend had/has this problem. We traced it to the extractor not holding the case close enough to the breech face combined with a striker with short reach barely striking the primer sometimes. I suspect as parts wear in the tolerances open up creating a gap that is more often too much for the stubby striker to cross.

After returning the gun to Ruger they replaced the entire slide assembly and returned it with a note that the gun was "in spec" and future issues would not be covered by warranty.

In trying to get it returned originally the nice lady on the phone said it was made more than a year ago so the one year warranty was void. I politely insisted that a one year warranty should not start until date of purchase and she agreed to make an exception "just this once".

The whole incident soured me on Ruger. The friend is trying to decide if she should trade the gun in or sell it or keep it. My vote is ditch it while it works and let someone who thinks 100 rounds/year is a lot own it.

Leonidas24
09-14-12, 23:39
What kind of ammo was it? The reason I ask is because I had 3 failures to fire from Lawman 115 gr 9mm today.

F-Trooper05
09-15-12, 02:37
I've heard of more than one 'out of spec' trigger bar with the SR9. That gun does not inspire much confidence with me to be honest.

DeviousMind
09-15-12, 09:46
What kind of ammo was it? The reason I ask is because I had 3 failures to fire from Lawman 115 gr 9mm today.

Ammo is Winchester Ranger 124gr FMJ

DeviousMind
09-15-12, 09:48
I've heard of more than one 'out of spec' trigger bar with the SR9. That gun does not inspire much confidence with me to be honest.

Kinda feeling the same now. Trying to talk my wife into selling it and getting a M&P, if I can find one that is.

Magic_Salad0892
09-15-12, 11:29
Kinda feeling the same now. Trying to talk my wife into selling it and getting a M&P, if I can find one that is.

M&P9C, Shield or Walther PPS would be very good options.

UCPOPO
09-15-12, 12:09
I've had a friend with the same issue on his Ruger. He sent it back to Ruger and they fixed him up.

Drifting Fate
09-15-12, 21:55
The whole incident soured me on Ruger. The friend is trying to decide if she should trade the gun in or sell it or keep it. My vote is ditch it while it works and let someone who thinks 100 rounds/year is a lot own it.

I can see where it would sour you on Ruger. My experience over the years with Ruger is that if you have a problem, they fix it. Sad to hear anything less from their historically stellar CS.

IntenseImage
09-24-12, 09:32
Just give the striker channel a good cleaning. As we broke in my wife's 9c it too had brass shavings that stopped after a few hundred rounds

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DeviousMind
09-24-12, 10:28
Just wanted to update, after a good cleaning went to range shot 200 rounds without a hiccup. With this being my wife's EDC it still made me weary. So long story short sold the Ruger and bought Smith Wesson M&P compact.

Redbeardsong
09-24-12, 14:30
That's a common problem with the Rugers, but it's almost always due to the thick factory grease in the firing pin channel. Mine started having an issue at about 1200 rounds. I cleaned the channel out and have over 2000 trouble free rounds through it since then.

I've carried it everyday for about 2 years and have been very satisfied with it.

Redbeardsong
09-24-12, 14:37
That's a common problem with the Rugers, but it's almost always due to the thick factory grease in the firing pin channel. Mine started having an issue at about 1200 rounds. I cleaned the channel out and have over 2000 trouble free rounds through it since then.

I've carried it everyday for about 2 years and have been very satisfied with it.

Pistol Shooter
09-24-12, 16:12
Just wanted to update, after a good cleaning went to range shot 200 rounds without a hiccup. With this being my wife's EDC it still made me weary. So long story short sold the Ruger and bought Smith Wesson M&P compact.

I think you mean "wary" but you made a great choice with the M&P.

Great pistols, train your wife on it hard.

(IMHO, Ruger is second rate stuff at best -- I wouldn't own any of their products. )