PDA

View Full Version : Wilson or Larue?

Robc1219
09-15-12, 08:13
Hi,

Very few times in my adult life have I had the opportunity to get a, i guess, more high end AR. I currently have an M&P 15x 16"bbl, which is great and reliable, but I now looking at the 14.7 or 14.5" bbl with pined/welded muzzle break. I have seen Wilson's Recon sr(suppressor ready), which I'm considering going suppressed but also looking at Larue's OBR and POSSIBLE chance to buy a Costa edition.

I hear, but not from experience that Larue is just the best all around for accuracy and reliability (maybe DD and Noveske too?). But does anyone have thoughts on Wilsons AR? or comparable to Larue? I have Wilson shotgun experience only.

This would be my rifle I would use for home defense, tactical classes, range time and if the SHTF. Defenitely the barrel length mentioned above. I already have owned plenty of 16" Smiths, RRA and Colt.

thanks
Rob

Ziptie
09-15-12, 09:57
It's been said in various ways here, and I fully believe it- that if Larue is an option, then Larue is the answer. I believe that Wilson makes a fine 1911, but they put so high of a price tag on it that I think THAT is what implies that they're 'high end.' Larue quality speaks for itself, and you truly get what you pay for. Try the OBR, you'll never have any buyer's remorse, second thoughts, regrets, or disappointed days at the range.

Zip

Robc1219
09-15-12, 10:06
Thanks for the feedback. i've been researching this morning as much as possible and there is limited feedback on Wilson AR's but Larue seems to stand out as best of the best.

Wilson 1911's seem to get alot more attention than their line of AR's

308sako
09-15-12, 10:14
LARUE for the win.

OBR is the way.

Merle
09-15-12, 10:15
Wilson AR's are probably on par with a Rock River but with a higher price tag. They are nowhere near the quality of Larue.

TacMedic556
09-15-12, 10:40
Larue all the way. Wilson is overpriced. I was extremely dissapointed with a Wilson Shotgun I had done a few years back. Finish was deplorable, service as well. Overall from my experiences with Larue and what I know of them, Larue puts quality and customers first.

MrSunday
09-15-12, 12:20
Larue out of those two options. But I would look into Noveske too.

snakedoctor
09-15-12, 13:09
I'd go with a LaRue rifle.

krm375
09-15-12, 13:20
I like the Noveske for a SBR.

Stickman
09-15-12, 13:39
Are you just looking to spend money on a collectors piece, or what is your goal with the weapon? I don't buy for a minute you are getting the "best" without knowing why you are looking to buy something.

Porsche isn't the "best" when it comes to going off road.... but you could argue for it in other venues.

VIP3R 237
09-15-12, 13:40
Larue all the way, but there are some other very nice options also. KAC, Noveske, LMT.

Wilson AR's are probably on par with a Rock River but with a higher price tag. They are nowhere near the quality of Larue.

That is pretty clever, and very true.

Merle
09-15-12, 13:55
Porsche isn't the "best" when it comes to going off road.... but you could argue for it in other venues.

True, but there is nothing like the experience as a whole. The smell of gas, oil and German leather on me after a hard drive through the hills is almost enough to make my wife jealous.:D

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z198/merlebrooks/IMG_20120421_113634.jpg

308sako
09-15-12, 16:15
Larue out of those two options. But I would look into Noveske too.

I must agree with this comment, however it was not listed in the original options.

Pistol Shooter
09-15-12, 16:33
I've had very good results dealing with LaRue to upgrade my Colts -- optics, stocks, slings, mags, gun cases, etc.

They are a top notch company and deliver. :)

LaRue is GTG.

JSGlock34
09-15-12, 16:43
All of the LaRue rifles I've shot have been exceptionally accurate and reliable. The PredatAR looks like an outstanding value. I've yet to see a Wilson AR in real life.

Moonlight Again
09-15-12, 17:51
I've always had the feeling that Wilson got into ARs out of a sense of obligation, like it was expected of them. I get the core 1911 business, and after they took over Scattergun Technologies I get the shotgun side of the business, and if you make 1911s and shotguns I guess ARs make a natural expansion, but I never felt Wilson really had their heart in the AR game.

500grains
09-15-12, 19:50
I had a Larue 5.56 upper in 2008 and the accuracy was ok but not great. I have had much better accuracy out of Centurion and Daniel Defense. But maybe they got better. (note: for scope mounts I prefer Larue)

Abraxas
09-15-12, 19:54
LaRue

rbabbitt767
09-15-12, 20:00

What're you talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4hFOi3KQyk

In the interest of the topic, as much as Wilson makes a fine 1911, Larue makes the equivalent AR. There is no comparison between the two. Go with Larue.

JohnnyC
09-15-12, 20:11
Of those two, LaRue. But I would rather get a Noveske, DD, KAC, or Centurion over either of them.

Robc1219
09-15-12, 21:46
All, thanks for the great feedback and comments.... I made my decision and purchased the Chris Costa Edition OBR by LaRue tonight. It was that or the Wilson Recon SR Tactical. I'm real excited to get such a hard to find firearm (#74) out of 125 sold, with the barrel length, rail and FDE color I wanted.

Glad I held out asked for opinions and did alot of research today!

denn1911
09-15-12, 21:59
I think that you'll be happy with your choice. LaRue is top notch to deal with, and they make quality products. Congrats on your new rifle. Post pics and definitely a range report when you can.

jw0312
09-15-12, 23:05
Congrats! I've been nothing but impressed by Larue. I think you'll be happy!

09-16-12, 09:41
Congrats! I've been nothing but impressed by Larue. I think you'll be happy!

So TRUE I have their mount on my M4 T-1 and they were fast and their workmanship /CS is top notch!

markm
09-17-12, 12:21
I don't know why LaRue would even be on the table. Aren't both receivers on a LaRue Billet???

I'm sure LaRue guns are nice, well made creations and all. But OP specified that this was a Training, SHTF, Defense gun.

If it has to be a boutique gun, I'd make it the Noveske Gen 2 style weapon. At least you'd be getting real forged receivers for the money you're shelling out.

Ziptie
09-17-12, 13:29
The LaRue billet is actually a Stubborn mule billet, not sure who makes Wilson's.

Z

sn8kedoc
09-17-12, 15:34
Good choice with the larue, i ran a buddies in class and was very impressed, the fit and finish were outstanding plus it just felt like it was apart of me. Plus you get dillo dust, a bottle opener, a dvd (show casing how awesome their rifles are), some cool bumper stickers, and a hat!! All that is pretty meaningless shwag, but hey its still pretty sweet.

vicious_cb
09-17-12, 15:58
I dont get it...the OP wanted to spend a ton of money on a "high end AR" and ended up getting an OBR cause Costa uses it? If you really wanted a training/defense/SHTF/obama 2012 gun you could have spent a lot less money and gotten a BCM or something. Instead you got a boutique rifle that will probably be looked at and handled more than shot because you dont have any money left for ammo.

Airhasz
09-17-12, 16:36
Some are getting green with envy...it seems you have to shoot 3G to own the best...

lifebreath
09-17-12, 16:46
My buddy's got the Costa gun and it's a nice package and a tack driver. He actually wanted the standard PredatOBR, but got the Costa because of availability. I think you'll be quite happy with it.

Singlestack Wonder
09-17-12, 16:50
Some are getting green with envy...it seems you have to shoot 3G to own the best... :rolleyes:

No envy at all. 3 gun is a low round count gun game. For real world, SHTF applications, a BCM, Daniel Defense, or Colt can be had for much less while providing a proven, battle ready platform, capable of firing 1000+ rounds a day without issue.

The low tier rifles from manufacturers such as JP, Wilson, Baer, RRA, etc., are available at much higher prices to satisfy the, "my rifle cost more than yours" fanboys. :cool:

Robc1219
09-17-12, 17:47
Hi,

I got it for several reasons. I already have an M&P 15X w/16" bbl. it was certain features i wanted. I heard great things about LaRue quality and reliability. I wanted FDE, that particular rail and barrel length of 14.5 or 14.7 with pined surefire muzzle break, his name on it was a cool thing but not a requirement since i'm not obsessed w/Costa.

i have already owned Smith, RRA, COLT...good stuff, no issues but this gives me a second AR for all purposes in addiiotn to my beat up m&p.

thanks Rob

Doc. Holiday
09-17-12, 18:13
I haven't owned a LaRue, but all the reviews I've read seem pretty decent!

jstone
09-17-12, 19:21
You got an excellent rifle. I just do not understand the rational behind the purchase. You your going to use the smith as your beeter gun while the costa will handle shtf scenarios. The Costa is a predatobr not an obr. So you got the lightweight chasis with the heavy precision barrel. It just seems almost every carbine from DD, BCM, knights, or noveske would have been far better.

Larue makes great firearms. They seem to be more oriented to precision than a fighting gun. I can understand wanting the best, but best is subjective. At least you did not end up with Wilson, but you should have done a lot more research. The fact that you put Larue and Wilson together shows a lack of research.

WS6
09-17-12, 23:38
All, thanks for the great feedback and comments.... I made my decision and purchased the Chris Costa Edition OBR by LaRue tonight. It was that or the Wilson Recon SR Tactical. I'm real excited to get such a hard to find firearm (#74) out of 125 sold, with the barrel length, rail and FDE color I wanted.

Glad I held out asked for opinions and did alot of research today!

I'm not a LaRue fan, and would have bought a Noveske, but I also think you bought a quality rifle that will serve you very well, and chose the much better of the two options you presented us.

Enjoy your rifle!

Based on OP's posts, this gun is a safe-queen/SHTF weapon. He recognizes that his other M4gery will do just fine for training or whatever, but wanted him a "Break in case of emergency" rifle that would perform awesome! I think the LaRue is just fine for this. OP wanted and got a functional, well-made safe-queen for himself. He reminds me of a lot of the guys on the corvette forum I used to hang out on. Their 'vette's were garage-queen/sunny-day cars and they got as much pleasure out of waxing as they did driving. I used to own a C6 Z06 and can relate. It's awesome just to know you own a piece of arse-kicking machinery! Then I became more of a driver, sold my Z06, bought a 370Z, and don't cry every time I hear a rock hit the front end. Still a fun car, though, and much nicer to boot!

Enjoy it OP!

BH321
09-18-12, 01:08
I'm not a LaRue fan, and would have bought a Noveske, but I also think you bought a quality rifle that will serve you very well, and chose the much better of the two options you presented us.

Enjoy your rifle!

Based on OP's posts, this gun is a safe-queen/SHTF weapon. He recognizes that his other M4gery will do just fine for training or whatever, but wanted him a "Break in case of emergency" rifle that would perform awesome! I think the LaRue is just fine for this. OP wanted and got a functional, well-made safe-queen for himself. He reminds me of a lot of the guys on the corvette forum I used to hang out on. Their 'vette's were garage-queen/sunny-day cars and they got as much pleasure out of waxing as they did driving. I used to own a C6 Z06 and can relate. It's awesome just to know you own a piece of arse-kicking machinery! Then I became more of a driver, sold my Z06, bought a 370Z, and don't cry every time I hear a rock hit the front end. Still a fun car, though, and much nicer to boot!

Enjoy it OP!

Firstly, don't you dare compare that Asian toy to the awesomeness that is the Chevrolet Corvette :jester:. "Nicer" my...

Back on topic, while I believe that the Knight's Armament Company SR-15 E3 would have been a better choice, I think that the Costa PredatOBR will serve his purposes well (Though for a MUCH more expensive price). Also, according to the unofficial forum rules (Created by me just now) you are required to post photos and a review of your rifle when it arrives. The penalty for not posting pictures is to be eternally poked with a stick by an angry honey badger.

TacticalSledgehammer
09-18-12, 05:20
I'm waiting on pictures...:D

Robc1219
09-18-12, 06:08
I agree with the unoffical rule of providing pics...Will do. It's supposed to be shipped today! BTW, I did look at the Noveske 14.5" light carbine models. Just regarding price (which wasn't in the decision), they weren't much cheaper. It was just a personal preference to go with the LaRue Costa. I understand that everyone won't agree, however, that was the decision I went with. I believe it will serve me well.

Thanks!

WS6
09-18-12, 06:38
Firstly, don't you dare compare that Asian toy to the awesomeness that is the Chevrolet Corvette :jester:. "Nicer" my...

Back on topic, while I believe that the Knight's Armament Company SR-15 E3 would have been a better choice, I think that the Costa PredatOBR will serve his purposes well (Though for a MUCH more expensive price). Also, according to the unofficial forum rules (Created by me just now) you are required to post photos and a review of your rifle when it arrives. The penalty for not posting pictures is to be eternally poked with a stick by an angry honey badger.

Having owned both a C6 Z06 and the 370Z, I'm qualified to do so if I choose. The Z06 felt much more like a "toy" than my 370Z does. Between the cheap leather and shapeless Lear seats that literally slide around in the car while hitting the corners, and the lack of a NAV system that has been updated since the Atari, the 370Z just blows it out of the water for a non-HPDE/Track car.

On the track, the Z06 was a racecar with a license-plate pretty much. Very composed and I loved it. I just didn't do HPDE's is the only problem, lol. $2200 sets of tires add up fast...

Back on topic...OP needs to post pictures to prevent us from wandering OFF topic :D

In for pix when it arrives!

Alex V
09-18-12, 07:36
Good choice on the LaRue. I made the same choice.

He reminds me of a lot of the guys on the corvette forum I used to hang out on. Their 'vette's were garage-queen/sunny-day cars and they got as much pleasure out of waxing as they did driving. I used to own a C6 Z06 and can relate. It's awesome just to know you own a piece of arse-kicking machinery! Then I became more of a driver, sold my Z06, bought a 370Z, and don't cry every time I hear a rock hit the front end. Still a fun car, though, and much nicer to boot!

Enjoy it OP!

That's cause 90% of people on CorvetteForum are waxers... I should know... Im banned from it lol.

Having drag raced and street driven both the LS6 and LS7 Z's and driven a 350 and 370Z I have no idea how you could be happier with the Nissan.

Plus.. with a name like WS6 how can you drive a Japanese car?

WS6
09-18-12, 10:03
Good choice on the LaRue. I made the same choice.

That's cause 90% of people on CorvetteForum are waxers... I should know... Im banned from it lol.

Having drag raced and street driven both the LS6 and LS7 Z's and driven a 350 and 370Z I have no idea how you could be happier with the Nissan.

Plus.. with a name like WS6 how can you drive a Japanese car?

PM sent

markm
09-18-12, 10:07
Can we get back to trashing LaRue's Sissy guns?? :D

Tzook
09-18-12, 12:22
The Costa edition? Holy shit, you didn't just buy a LaRue, you bought the king of all LaRues. No way you won't enjoy that one

fourXfour
09-18-12, 14:56
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/edmateo50/photo-17.jpg

I had a chance to fondle Costa's gun at a training class and some of the ones at SHOT. Absolutely beautiful gun. Depending on the next wave that come out I may be tempted to order one

I went with the PredatAR so it was a little easier on my sissy arms....

Pistol Shooter
09-18-12, 15:20
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/edmateo50/photo-17.jpg

I had a chance to fondle Costa's gun at a training class and some of the ones at SHOT. Absolutely beautiful gun. Depending on the next wave that come out I may be tempted to order one

I went with the PredatAR so it was a little easier on my sissy arms....

Great looking AR, congratulations. :smile:

lifebreath
09-18-12, 15:21
Can we get back to trashing LaRue's Sissy guns?? :D

Hear, hear!

snakedoctor
09-18-12, 17:45
Here's a few shots of some "sissy guns" :jester:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7771216106_202983cf0b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57942327@N05/7771216106/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7771211060_f212e9c6cf.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57942327@N05/7771211060/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8447/7771204696_83ed014141.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57942327@N05/7771204696/)

Doc. Holiday
09-19-12, 09:09
I've only read reviews, none of my friends have LaRue's so, I can't really say I've had first hand experience. Not bad looking!

markm
09-19-12, 09:27
Here's a few shots of some "sissy guns" :jester:

Looks good. Don't get me wrong... If someone wants a fine AR.. LaRue, KAC, etc.... by all means.

I just have more of a down and dirty outlook on the Rifle.

It's no different that someone getting a luxury car while I'm romping around in the desert with rifle gongs in the bed of my pickup. To each his own. ;)

Robc1219
09-19-12, 13:28
Well no pics yet...ugh. FEDEX went to deliver the Costa to my FFL and since he's just a local FFL friend and does that part time, there was no one there to sign for it...:mad: Looks like another day of waiting...If I were a chic, I'd pout and shed a tear

But just now ordering the Surefire M300A mini scout in FDE for it! later an optic...

BH321
09-19-12, 17:09
Well no pics yet...ugh. FEDEX went to deliver the Costa to my FFL and since he's just a local FFL friend and does that part time, there was no one there to sign for it...:mad: Looks like another day of waiting...If I were a chic, I'd pout and shed a tear

But just now ordering the Surefire M300A mini scout in FDE for it! later an optic...

Now you are making me ridiculously jealous. Any idea what optic you have planned for it? Also, why did you choose M300A over the M600C?

Robc1219
09-19-12, 18:40
Now you are making me ridiculously jealous. Any idea what optic you have planned for it? Also, why did you choose M300A over the M600C?

Well my friend owns the M300A already and I really liked it. There are alot of sites selling it for around $220 which is a tad more affordable. For optic, I honestly have always enjoyed using the Aimpoint M3 or M2. I was just going to add the FDE rubber cover then take a spending break. I regret selling my Comp M3 and getting an Eotech (sold that too)

BH321
09-19-12, 20:33
Well my friend owns the M300A already and I really liked it. There are alot of sites selling it for around $220 which is a tad more affordable. For optic, I honestly have always enjoyed using the Aimpoint M3 or M2. I was just going to add the FDE rubber cover then take a spending break. I regret selling my Comp M3 and getting an Eotech (sold that too)

Ah, I thought you were probably going to go with a 1-4x variable optic given how accurate Larue rifles are known to be. For a 1 power optic the M300A will be fine, even if it does lack some of the throw of the M600C.

Robc1219
09-19-12, 20:45
Ah, I thought you were probably going to go with a 1-4x variable optic given how accurate Larue rifles are known to be. For a 1 power optic the M300A will be fine, even if it does lack some of the throw of the M600C.

Well thats true, i do want a Trijicon, thats more of a future goal. It would be great for the Larue...Starting slow and will build up haha

Alaskapopo
09-19-12, 20:58
Hi,

Very few times in my adult life have I had the opportunity to get a, i guess, more high end AR. I currently have an M&P 15x 16"bbl, which is great and reliable, but I now looking at the 14.7 or 14.5" bbl with pined/welded muzzle break. I have seen Wilson's Recon sr(suppressor ready), which I'm considering going suppressed but also looking at Larue's OBR and POSSIBLE chance to buy a Costa edition.

I hear, but not from experience that Larue is just the best all around for accuracy and reliability (maybe DD and Noveske too?). But does anyone have thoughts on Wilsons AR? or comparable to Larue? I have Wilson shotgun experience only.

This would be my rifle I would use for home defense, tactical classes, range time and if the SHTF. Defenitely the barrel length mentioned above. I already have owned plenty of 16" Smiths, RRA and Colt.

thanks
Rob

I won't spend another dime with Wilson. With the choices given get the Larue. They make solid guns. However I personally would build what I want. Also don't do the pinned muzzle device. I have a Nice Noveske upper like that and I am stuck with it unless I want to ruin a $150 Pig. Either get a 16 if you want a shorter gun or get a SBR and do the paper work.

Pat

Robc1219
09-22-12, 11:13
Finally picked it up! added my own sights MI front Troy rear. Also added the FDE handstop. Surefire mini scout in FDE is in route!

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=579&pictureid=2847

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=579&pictureid=2845

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=579&pictureid=2844

d90king
09-22-12, 12:21
Finally picked it up! added my own sights MI front Troy rear. Also added the FDE handstop. Surefire mini scout in FDE is in route!

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=579&pictureid=2847

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=579&pictureid=2845

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=579&pictureid=2844

Congrats on a great rifle! I have been very pleased with my LaRue rifles and I'm sure you will be also....

Robc1219
09-22-12, 12:40
Congrats on a great rifle! I have been very pleased with my LaRue rifles and I'm sure you will be also....

Thanks! I cannot wait to shoot it and I've heard nothing but great things about LaRue!

Airhasz
09-22-12, 17:03
Thanks! I cannot wait to shoot it and I've heard nothing but great things about LaRue!

Great rifle, is there a waiting period on the predatAR?

Robc1219
09-22-12, 17:16
Great rifle, is there a waiting period on the predatAR?

I thought both the predatAR AND predatOBR had serious wait time. I called once on the predtaOBR and it was 20+ weeks

seb5
09-22-12, 17:40
I ordered a Larue PredatAR in 7.62 on June 29th. It was ready for shipping on Sep. 17. Because of a SNAFU with an expired FFL (Aug. 31) it will deliver Sep. 24th. I am looking forward to it. I shot one last year and was thoroughly impressed with it. In my experience with many Noveske's and a few Larue uppers I can't really tell a difference. I tend to think the Larues are a little bit more consistent on accuracy although I've shot many, many sub MOA groups with Noveske's as well.

As far as Wilson goes they are not even in the same conversation in my opinion.

Airhasz
09-22-12, 17:54
Thank you for the info on your waiting times!

P Schütze
09-23-12, 18:50
I dont get it...the OP wanted to spend a ton of money on a "high end AR" and ended up getting an OBR cause Costa uses it? If you really wanted a training/defense/SHTF/obama 2012 gun you could have spent a lot less money and gotten a BCM or something. Instead you got a boutique rifle that will probably be looked at and handled more than shot because you dont have any money left for ammo.

You know, some of us are able to afford the nicer things in life, like a Larue OBR and have lots of money left over for ammo, training and a Colt 6920.

midSCarolina
09-27-12, 11:46
I have used a few Wilson Combat products and they are pretty good for the most part. My friend is a pretty large producer of 300BLK brass and he is about to start working with Wilson Combat so hopefully I will get a little more exposure to their products. Kinda off topic but I think that their 8 round 1911 mags were a bad idea and they block the proper function of the weapon while that 8th round is still in the magazine.

Getting back on topic... I have used two LaRue rifles and they were wonderful. Apart from being extremely smooth ARs, they are beautifully made. I personally run LMTs just because they run well and I don't feel bad about beating them up while I would feel terrible putting a scratch on one of the LaRues. The ONLY complaint that I have about the LaRues is the length of the rail... I think a rail being that long is completely unnecessary.

Robc1219
09-27-12, 16:37
I just got the Surefire M300a mini scout that I added today. Not the best lighting in the picture but it feels great and 110 lumens. Looking forward to range time on the OBR

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=579&pictureid=2893

snakedoctor
09-27-12, 16:41
I just got the Surefire M300a mini scout that I added today. Not the best lighting in the picture but it feels great and 110 lumens. Looking forward to range time on the OBR

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=579&pictureid=2893

Lookin good :dirol:

Doc. Holiday
09-27-12, 17:38
I'm liking the Surefire. When do you suspect to get an optic if at all?

Robc1219
09-27-12, 18:31
I'm liking the Surefire. When do you suspect to get an optic if at all?

thanks! i've spending alot, so it might be mid to late Oct depnding if its the micro T1 or later if its a Trijicon w/red dot.