PDA

View Full Version : Installing Timney trigger

eperk
09-15-12, 12:08
It's harder than it looks. That second set of hex head screws will drive you crazy.
Well worth it though. My 3# trigger is sweet and well worth the investment.

DeAdeYE15
09-15-12, 21:28
I was interested in this trigger before purchasing my Giessele super 3 gun. I heard a few bad reviews on here about the reliability so I passed. I imagine it would be a great trigger for target shooting. Let us know how well it performs in the field. Timney makes great triggers for the Remington 700, I would imagine the AR trigger would be no different.

eperk
09-15-12, 22:47
I read some bad reviews on Timney also. But there were many more good ones than bad ones. If you look hard enough on the net you can find a bad review on just about anything.
I was also worried about the trigger pins falling out if the hex screws came loose. Blue Loctite solved that problem.
Giessele make a GREAT trigger but not a single stage. If I had been in the market for a double stage that would have been my choice.
Have less than 100 rounds on the Timney. I'm interested in long term durability. I have a friend that has used two of them in his ARs and hasn't had problem one.
Time will tell. Guess I'll have a chance to test their lifetime warranty.

DeAdeYE15
09-15-12, 22:57
My super 3 gun trigger is a single stage trigger.

I'm sure the Timney will run fine. Your definitely right about finding bad reviews. I may just go with the Timney for my AR target rifle, it seems to be a great choice for this application.

Have you had any range time with the Timney yet? How did you like it?

eperk
09-16-12, 07:55
Must have missed the Giessele single stage on their website.
I have had two days and about 150 rounds of range time on the Timney. Going again today.
I love the trigger. No creep at all and breaks are very crisp.
It took about 30 rounds to get used to it. My LMT trigger was pretty gritty and the pull was over 8# so there's a HUGE difference.
No double fires. In my opinion it's an excellent trigger.
Long term, who knows. I'm interested to see how it holds up after a couple of thousand rounds.

DeAdeYE15
09-16-12, 12:47
Sounds good. These aftermarket triggers will definitely spoil you, theres a huge difference between mil-spec. I knew the Timney would have a great feel to it, they make good stuff. I may just take the plunge and purchase one for my target AR. There a little cheaper than the Giessele any way.

eperk
09-16-12, 13:45
If you decide to buy one soon, take a look at Midway. They have them on sale.

ThreeLeafPayback
09-16-12, 17:39
It's harder than it looks. That second set of hex head screws will drive you crazy.
Well worth it though. My 3# trigger is sweet and well worth the investment.

Set screws do suck. I went with KNS pins to mechanically lock it in then snug up the set screws.

Sent with 2 cans & a long string.

jstone
09-16-12, 17:49
Sounds good. These aftermarket triggers will definitely spoil you, theres a huge difference between mil-spec. I knew the Timney would have a great feel to it, they make good stuff. I may just take the plunge and purchase one for my target AR. There a little cheaper than the Giessele any way.

You already have an s3g and nothing Will compare. I have a timney and a CMC drop in trigger both are in the 3-3.5 pound trigger pull range. Both single stage triggers. I purchased these before geissele was around. I just got a geissele s3g and none of the drop is i have can compare. They are not even close. Its like comparing a high end sports car to a prius.

eperk
09-16-12, 20:45
Can't say that I've fired a Geissele single stage. I have shot my brother's Jewell two stage in his Spikes.
Funny thing. I liked his Jewell. He liked the break in the Timney better.
Triggers can be very subjective when you get to the higher end ones. I can't say that I subscribe to the "mine is better than yours" mentality.
DeAde, I say try as many as you can and buy the one that feels best to you.

DeAdeYE15
09-16-12, 21:20
You already have an s3g and nothing Will compare. I have a timney and a CMC drop in trigger both are in the 3-3.5 pound trigger pull range. Both single stage triggers. I purchased these before geissele was around. I just got a geissele s3g and none of the drop is i have can compare. They are not even close. Its like comparing a high end sports car to a prius.

Yes, the S3G is very nice, but it's hard to shell out that kind of cash for every gun you have. After using the S3G, mil-spec triggers feel even worse than before you felt a S3G.

az doug
09-16-12, 22:33
I have a Timney in one of my ARs and like it. I did have one issue during a long day of shooting. The hammer and trigger pin are held in by tension created when you tighten the hex head screws the OP referred to. During that long day of shooting the hex head screws loosened allowing the trigger and hammer pins to partially back out. The gun did not malfunction, but I noticed the loose pins while cleaning the gun. I was lucky the hammer and trigger pin did not fall out.

After that I purchased a set of KNS pins. That way even if the hex head screws loosens the pins are secure and can't back out.

I do like the trigger. I also like the adjustable JP trigger in my "precision" AR.

DeAdeYE15
09-16-12, 22:37
I've used the JP setup before and also liked it. How would the JP trigger compare to the Timney?

eperk
09-17-12, 06:02
I have a Timney in one of my ARs and like it. I did have one issue during a long day of shooting. The hammer and trigger pin are held in by tension created when you tighten the hex head screws the OP referred to. During that long day of shooting the hex head screws loosened allowing the trigger and hammer pins to partially back out. The gun did not malfunction, but I noticed the loose pins while cleaning the gun. I was lucky the hammer and trigger pin did not fall out.

After that I purchased a set of KNS pins. That way even if the hex head screws loosens the pins are secure and can't back out.

I do like the trigger. I also like the adjustable JP trigger in my "precision" AR.

I may consider the KNS pins. So far so good though. I used blue Locktite and it seems to work.

Merle
09-17-12, 08:35
My super 3 gun trigger is a single stage trigger.

It's actually a 2 stage but both stages are very light.

jstone
09-17-12, 11:33
Eperk Im not trying to say you put a garbage trigger in your gun. They are fine triggers. You are very right about pull being subjective, but with the s3g the pull is not the only part that makes it great. The lack of pull length and the short reset combine to make something magical. The price is not something we all can afford for all our rifles. When i bought my timney it was 199. I have not priced them lately. If there still in that ball park the s3g is roughly only 40 dollars more for what i feel is a better trigger by leaps and bounds. The timney is better than the CMC. I Will be switching them both for geissele. Another plus with geissele is service. I e-mailed them one morning at 5am (west coast) they responded nine minutes later. They are on the east coast so it was 8am. 9 minutes is less time than it takes to get through to some companies on the phone. The way they handled the inquiry also went above and beyond what is expected from a company. There are only a few companies that take care of there customers like they do.

eperk
09-17-12, 13:50
No harm, no foul JS. I'm still not clear on something though. Does Geissele make a single stage trigger?

DeAdeYE15
09-17-12, 22:52
It's actually a 2 stage but both stages are very light.

Giesseles description says it's single stage. The pull says nothing of it being a 2 stage. I do remember reading something about it being in-between, kinda of a hybrid.

Merle
09-17-12, 22:58
Giesseles description says it's single stage. The pull says nothing of it being a 2 stage. I do remember reading something about it being in-between, kinda of a hybrid.
Actually you are incorrect. Their description says that it has the pull of a hybrid single stage but it is actually a 2 stage in operation and design. From the description:

"The SSF’s long, smooth pull was shortened and combined with a lightning-quick reset to give it a unique, hybrid trigger pull that is a cross between a traditional two-stage and single stage trigger while at the same time retaining the safety and robustness of the SSF’s two-stage trigger design."

DeAdeYE15
09-17-12, 23:02
No harm, no foul JS. I'm still not clear on something though. Does Geissele make a single stage trigger?

This is the description on Geisseles website for the S3G. It is called a hybrid. The pull feels like a single stage.

hybrid trigger pull that is a cross between
a traditional two-stage and single-stage trigger while at
the same time retaining the safety and robustness of the SSF

DeAdeYE15
09-17-12, 23:12
Actually you are incorrect. Their description says that it has the pull of a hybrid single stage but it is actually a 2 stage in operation and design. From the description:

"The SSF’s long, smooth pull was shortened and combined with a lightning-quick reset to give it a unique, hybrid trigger pull that is a cross between a traditional two-stage and single stage trigger while at the same time retaining the safety and robustness of the SSF’s two-stage trigger design."

You beat me to it. Either way the OP needs to know that the pull feels nothing like a 2 stage. It's a very short, light pull and somewhere in the pull it breaks, there's no stop it just breaks. Then a super short take up.

Merle
09-17-12, 23:20
You beat me to it. Either way the OP needs to know that the pull feels nothing like a 2 stage. It's a very short, light pull and somewhere in the pull it breaks, there's no stop it just breaks. Then a super short take up.

I played with one at Rainier Arms and it was pretty smooth but the pull is so light I wouldn't want one on a defensive rifle and the lack of the distinctive second stage would preclude me using it on a precision rifle. It definitely is designed for 3 gun where neither of those qualities are needed so they hit the nail on the head with it's intended purpose. I've never shot 3 gun but I could definitely see how this trigger would be good for getting off fast shots while on the run.

bleaman225
09-17-12, 23:22
I'm an ass and I shouldn't be allowed to use a computer

Merle
09-17-12, 23:25
Dude, you're quoting the description of the Super Select Fire (SSF) trigger. None one is talking about that trigger at any point in this thread, prior to your comment.
Ironic when you're, seemingly, smugly telling him he's incorrect.

That is the description from the S3G trigger and just by looking at it you can see that it is a 2 stage.

bleaman225
09-17-12, 23:28
I posted too soon and should have looked at Geissele's page prior to posting, instead of after. I apologize for my eagerness to jump on your post.

Merle
09-17-12, 23:29
I posted too soon and should have looked at Geissele's page prior to posting, instead of after. I apologize for my eagerness to jump on your post.

No worries.

DeAdeYE15
09-17-12, 23:48
Either way it's a great trigger with the feel of nothing but single stage. Its great for when you want to shoot as fast as possible while remaining on target. You can almost hit Travis Hailey speeds after plenty of practice, almost.

Mariley85
09-20-12, 17:18
i put a timney skeletonized in my gun, and i love it. i've always had timneys in my hunting rifles, so naturally, i used their AR trigger group. it breaks crisp and the install wasn't nearly as difficult as some have mentioned.

i will continue to use their triggers.

DeAdeYE15
09-20-12, 20:52
I run a Timney in my Remington 700 and love it. That's also why I was considering one for my other AR. I love the S3G but think the Timney would be better for shooting groups.

eperk
09-21-12, 05:59
I've run several hunderd rounds with my new trigger. It is sweet. It pulls even better after cleaning it and lubing it with lighter fluid. You heard right. Timney recommends lubing the trigger with lighter fluid.
I would recommend this trigger to anyone.

eperk
09-21-12, 06:02
i put a timney skeletonized in my gun, and i love it. i've always had timneys in my hunting rifles, so naturally, i used their AR trigger group. it breaks crisp and the install wasn't nearly as difficult as some have mentioned.

i will continue to use their triggers.

I love mine too but it was a beotch (at least for me) to put those small lock screws in.

az doug
09-21-12, 13:21
I've used the JP setup before and also liked it. How would the JP trigger compare to the Timney?

The adjustable JP trigger allows you to "dial" the trigger in more, as far as take up and reset. The Timney is a nice trigger, but not adjustable. I use the JP on my precision rifle. If I had not gotten a good deal ($125) for the Timney I probably would have installed a JP in my 3 gun rifle. I wanted to try the Timney and got it for a good deal. I have had it for 1 1/2 years and like it. I have had the JP for 5 years without issue.