PDA

View Full Version : Shooting my S&W M&P for groups at 25 yards

tire iron
09-15-12, 12:40
Anyone else experience this big a difference with a handgun before? I definitely need to check out different loads, etc. - but I was under the (false) impression there would only be a few inches difference.

cheers

tire iron

jw0312
09-15-12, 17:23
I've experienced it with practically every gun I shoot and reload for regularly. Every detail from weight, length, and shape of a bullet to the charge beneath it affect how it performs. It didn't really seem to be that big of a deal (or that noticeable) until I bought my first snub nose revolver. From that short of a barrel, you may be looking at 5" groups at 10 yards with conservatively loaded full wadcutters and 10" groups at the same distance with full-powered LRN ammo. That's another reason (besides establishing reliability) that I recommend putting a good bit of the ammo you plan to carry downrange before you load it up and tote it around.

TiroFijo
09-15-12, 17:56
I must be very lucky because all my guns, and all that I've tried (snub nose revolvers and small semiautos included), always grouped from very well to at least decently at 25 yds, both with factory ammo and with my reloads as well.

Never had a problem plinking small metal targets at that distance. Of course some guns and some gun/ammo combos are much more accurate than others, but I've never experienced plate sized groups (10"+) at that distance due to the gun/ammo. Not saying that I never get large groups, just that I'me pretty sure they are my fault.

jw0312
09-15-12, 18:07
Well, in defense of the ammo (and contrary to my own defense), the 10" groups at 30 feet from a snubby are standing - no sandbags, bracing, etc. I'm not the world's greatest shot by any means, but the differences in some ammo with certain guns is definitely noticeable. :)

sobiloff
09-15-12, 23:55
Full-sized M&P 9's are susceptible to the performance you've observed. Go with Grant's or Apex's replacement barrels, or stick with the compact and Shield-sized 9's to get better accuracy.