PDA

View Full Version : New PPQ sights from Dawson Precision!

mtdawg169
09-15-12, 16:13
After owning my PPQ for a couple of months now, I finally have it set up in my preferred configuration. I immediately liked the PPQ after taking it to the range the first time and found it to be one of the most accurate pistols I owned. I'm sure that is at least in part due to the excellent stock trigger. One of the things I really liked about the PPQ was that there was no need to tinker with it like my M&Ps or Glocks. My only complaint was the lack of sight and holster options for the PPQ. When I saw the new sight option from DP, I was all over them. As soon as they were on the website, I contacted DP to place an order. I ordered a custom rear sight notch width of .145" and was told they would take about 2 weeks. Order was placed on Friday 8/31. Needless to say, I was subconsciously prepared for it to take a little longer due to this being a new sight offering from DP and being a custom order. (standard rear notch is .125"). I also ordered a DP front sight w/ tritium insert (.180 T x .125 W). Imagine my surprise when they arrived today, exactly two weeks later, including Labor Day holiday and shipping time from TX to GA!

My other challenge was finding a suitable holster. I have long been a fan of Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holsters. Unfortunately, I'm not patient. Enter G&R Tactical. On a whim, I reached out to Grant to see if he had any PPQ Phantoms in stock. I was in luck and had one on the way to me earlier this week. It arrived a couple of days ago. Now we're in business!

I can't say enough good things about Dawson Precision and G&R Tactical. These guys know what excellent customer service is all about.

So here's a look at my PPQ with the new DP sights. You can order them with a custom rear notch width or FO inserts for a slight upcharge. Front sights are available with tritium or FO inserts as well.

Front sight set with install tool
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/mtdawg169/2012-09-15_15-09-45_197.jpg

Rear sight kit with nylon tipped punch tool:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/mtdawg169/2012-09-15_15-08-42_444.jpg

It should be noted that the rear sight is a press fit and does not retain the Walther adjustable rear sight configuration. The sight is drift adjustable and held in place with a set screw like most combat style rear sights. Mine required a very minor amount of fitting, by filing the rear flat that interfaces with the notch in the slide.

The rear sight is very well made. It has very fine serrations on the rear sight blade. Serrations on the front of the sight to allow one handed manipulations. All corners were nicely rounded and acceptable for carry use.

Rear serrations
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/mtdawg169/2012-09-15_15-52-23_754.jpg

Front serrations
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/mtdawg169/2012-09-15_15-52-36_698.jpg

Top view from front
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/mtdawg169/2012-09-15_15-53-24_15.jpg

sight picture
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/mtdawg169/2012-09-15_16-19-15_57.jpg

Pictured with RCS Phantom / MD Cut / Straight Drop
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/mtdawg169/2012-09-15_16-15-18_411.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/mtdawg169/2012-09-15_16-17-44_85.jpg

Range report to follow...

samuse
09-15-12, 22:13
That looks good. The rear sight looks tough as hell and I know Dawson's fronts are good quality.

I don't understand why all the gun makers put dots and shit on all their sights. I don't think I've ever known of anyone who actually wanted white dots on their sights.

AKDoug
09-15-12, 23:39
It's a tritium dot on the front. I know at least one well known instructor that advocates the use of a single tritium dot on the front. http://www.redbackone.com/#!proshop

mtdawg169
09-16-12, 07:42
It's a tritium dot on the front. I know at least one well known instructor that advocates the use of a single tritium dot on the front. http://www.redbackone.com/#!proshop

Correct. Front sight is a tritium dot and a nice white outline. I run straight eights on my M&P's. I also tried a set of Heinie Ledge sights similar to the Redback One sights on a Glock. Both work well for me. I can't stand 3 dot sights like the standard PPQ sights. Until now, three dot sights were your only option for the PPQ.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gary1911A1
09-16-12, 08:10
Looks good. I have a PPQ too and have been looking for steel sights for it.

mtdawg169
09-16-12, 08:39
Looks good. I have a PPQ too and have been looking for steel sights for it.

I would highly recommend these. They are well made and DP will customize to an extent. Unless you like 3 dot night sights, this is the only other option at the moment.

balance
09-16-12, 09:26
Until now, three dot sights were your only option for the PPQ.

XS express sights are also available for the P99 and PPS. Both of which will fit the PPQ. One guy on the Walther forum is using a big dot front sight with the Dawson rear sight, and he says he likes the combination.

I think I may get a set of these DP sights soon. I'm interested, and the more I look at them, the more I want to try them out.

mtdawg169
09-16-12, 10:34
XS express sights are also available for the P99 and PPS. Both of which will fit the PPQ.

I forget about those. I've never really been a fan of the big dots, so they weren't an option for me. I can make due with three dots, but prefer a straight eight or single dot configurations. The DP sights are the only option if you want to run a single tritium or FO front sight with a blacked our rear sight or if you want a 3 dot FO configuration. I'm glad to see some better options coming to market.

tdoom15
09-16-12, 21:19
Can you possibly take a better pic of the face of the front sight? Any idea how much taller the DP sight is than the stock ppq night sights? I've been wanting something a little taller with enough real estate to paint the front orange.

Did it change poa/poi?

mtdawg169
09-17-12, 06:03
Can you possibly take a better pic of the face of the front sight? Any idea how much taller the DP sight is than the stock ppq night sights? I've been wanting something a little taller with enough real estate to paint the front orange.

Did it change poa/poi?

Just got them installed and didn't have time for a range trip this weekend. I'll have to verify poa/poi later.

The DP front sight is .180" tall. I don't have time this morning to measure the stock sight, but will try to get it for comparison this evening.

Hogsgunwild
09-17-12, 10:34
Thanks for posting this. I will consider a set of these. I hope that the POA / POI at 25 yards is right on like my Trijicon Bright and Toughs.

Yesterday was my first day to shoot the Trijicons that I installed last week. I was extremely happy with the results. POA /POI center-punched the B8 type of target that I was using at 25 yards and as tight as my groups were with the stock sights, I was thrilled to see that the Trijicons tightened my groups up even more by reducing the ratio of open area between what the stock front and rear sights had.

I will also note that although I was having a hard time getting a good focus on the white ring around the front sight on the Trijicons (was a bad day for my 48 year old eyes), the sights still allowed me to get a good lock on my target as the accuracy was truly astounding to me.
I prefer the black rear sights or a two-dot set-up. I even purposely ordered the Trijicons with the dimmer orange rear sights and brighter front green (which works better than any three dot that I have ever used before at night, for me). The little white circles on the front and rear dots are a little busier during lighted conditions than I would prefer but they seemed to work exceptionally well for accuracy and speed work from what I gathered yesterday.

I have two more PPQs to equip so I may try a set of the Dawsons next if the Op's results are good.

mtdawg169
09-17-12, 10:42
I'm hoping to get some time this week to shoot these and report back. I really like the blacked out rears. They allow me to clearly focus on the front with no distractions. Being nearsighted, my eyes tire quickly if I'm struggling to focus due to large or bright rear dots. If you prefer a tighter sight picture, I'd probably stick with the standard rear sight notch. I may actually pick up an extra standard rear sight to try out as well.

Noodles
09-17-12, 16:46
I waited forever for PPQ Trijicons, and they're plenty nice so I'm fine for now, but I'd certainly these a try on a next gun.

The serrations on the both sides of the rear sight are pretty cool.

DO DO DO loctite that stupid little screw on the front sight!!

mtdawg169
09-17-12, 19:05
The serrations on the both sides of the rear sight are pretty cool.

DO DO DO loctite that stupid little screw on the front sight!!

Definitely. Dawson's instructions clearly state the need for loctite on the front and rear. They actually recommend that you use it to secure the rear sight within the slide cut out.

Hogsgunwild
09-17-12, 22:11
I used the blue Guntite on my front sight. The rear one sounds like a really good idea to Loctite as well. I didn't think about doing that. It is mounted in what seems to be a flimsy set-up. Does Dawson specify red or blue Loctite? I only use blue on my guns but if you say "Loctite" to me, it infers red which is more permanent in nature.

mtdawg169
09-17-12, 23:22
I used the blue Guntite on my front sight. The rear one sounds like a really good idea to Loctite as well. I didn't think about doing that. It is mounted in what seems to be a flimsy set-up. Does Dawson specify red or blue Loctite? I only use blue on my guns but if you say "Loctite" to me, it infers red which is more permanent in nature.

DP recommends loctite 271.

mtdawg169
09-17-12, 23:33

Did it change poa/poi?

The stock front sight measured at .140" Wide x .180" Tall.

DP is .125 W x .180 T

The DP has a fair sized white ring painted around the tritium in the front sight.

mtdawg169
09-24-12, 08:38
Update: I got in a quick trip to the range yesterday. Happy to report the sights are hitting poa/poi from 7 - 15 yards. I didn't have time to stretch it out to 25, but I am happy with the results. I really like the .145 rear notch. Plenty of light around the front sight for quick sight acquisition up close and I'm still able to get a good sight picture for accuracy work. The front sight has a large enough white ring around it to make it stand out nicely, but no so large that it hampers accuracy. Overall, I'm very satisfied and glad to have an option outside of the normal Trijicon and meprolight 3 dot sights.

Edit: I'm using a poa/poi, center hold with the top of the front sight blade. The DP sights don't require you to "shoot the dot".

Tod-13
09-24-12, 15:55
<snip>
I was thrilled to see that the Trijicons tightened my groups up even more by reducing the ratio of open area between what the stock front and rear sights had.
<snip>

Do you mind measuring the rear notch? The Trijicons I have were very wide--I've been looking for narrower notch night sights. Thanks!

mtdawg169
09-24-12, 16:01
Do you mind measuring the rear notch? The Trijicons I have were very wide--I've been looking for narrower notch night sights. Thanks!

If you're looking for a tighter rear notch, the DP rear is .125"

Available in plain black or with fiber optic inserts.

Tod-13
09-25-12, 08:08
If you're looking for a tighter rear notch, the DP rear is .125"

Available in plain black or with fiber optic inserts.

Thanks--I'm still thinking about/considering the Dawson sights. I was hoping Trijicon was making a narrower rear notch, since they use the original adjustable-type setup for PPQ sights. Not sure why Dawson didn't just stick with the original design for that--I don't want to have to worry about set screws or Locktite on a rear sight. I've never had good luck with that setup.

Sam
09-29-12, 20:24
mtdawg:

Where in GA are you? where did you buy your PPQ?

I was at the Dawsonville Gun Store this afternoon, they have a PPQ. I handled it and found that it is very, very comfortable and the trigger is pretty nice. Their price was $499. I really wanted it but I'm going to wait until next month before I can swing the funds.

mtdawg169
09-30-12, 07:39
mtdawg:

Where in GA are you? where did you buy your PPQ?

I was at the Dawsonville Gun Store this afternoon, they have a PPQ. I handled it and found that it is very, very comfortable and the trigger is pretty nice. Their price was $499. I really wanted it but I'm going to wait until next month before I can swing the funds.

PM sent, Sam.