PDA

View Full Version : best base for a .308 build?

broylz
09-15-12, 16:39
right now i am really wanting to get an axts ax762 receiver set but they keep putting them off due to demand of other products. i plan on starting this build after the first of the year when i will have the disposable cash to put towards it.

that said, right now, im looking into the mega ma ten as an alternative. possibly a stripped armalite set as well. reason for the mega is to have an alternative to the ax762 which are similar in concept as billet builds. the armalite is in my mind as a forged milspec look that has a forward assist.

as far as forward assist, i know most think its unnecessary, and it generally is. i did have to use one once in the past but that was a very rare occurance that i dont forsee in my civilian life.

anyhow, deing disappointed that the ax762 is getting put off longer, what would you guys use for a receiver set to build a nice .308?

my requirements are fairly simple. i want an 18" barrel with a Troy TRX 13.8 tube or similar. im thinking the stock will probably end up as a UBR. my accuracy requirements are pretty relaxed. i would wish for 1moa from the bench or better but should keep inside of 2moa when hot with a mag dump and my biggest concern is reliability. i will be using a 1-4x or 1-6x compact scope on it and its role will be a general purpose, all around gun. my shooting range locally only goes to 400 yards but i have access ocasionally to 750 yards which i used to shoot regularly with an m14.

i am a big fan of the m14 but have over a decade of military training and combat experience with an ar15. therefore i am looking to go with the ar10 type of rifle as i prefer the .308 round to the .223 but have alot of expereince with the m4 both as a soldier and an armorer and building a few of my own recently. i just really dont know if there is something im overlooking in the .308 ar field.

thanks ahead of time.

mkmckinley
09-15-12, 16:52
Mega (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3240) has one that's pretty similar. My understanding is they're made with a lot of attention to detail. I've handled them in the store but haven't actually used one, just trying to show you another option.

wildmanjeff
09-15-12, 18:10
Man I have 4 ambi AR-15 lowers from Mega and love them. The cost is really not that much more if you were planning on putting a nice aluminum trigger guard and BAD lever on your rife for AR-15 platform--that was the reason I purchased them.

Now that I have them I can say the fit/finish of these receivers is flawless and beautiful to the point I really wish to purchase at least one in 308 for a future build!

Looking forward to pics of your build!

mkmckinley
09-15-12, 19:18
Yeah they're nice. I didn't even realize they're making them ambi too. I also like that they use 7075 aluminum.

Here's a link to the mfg:

Mega Arms Ambi 7.62 lower (http://megaarms.com/maten/lower-receivers/ambi-billet-lower/)

broylz
09-15-12, 22:04
this is what i ultimately have in mind, if they would only produce them!!!

i am really liking the ADAC mag release/right side bolt catch idea. simple mod that makes alot of sense. as well as being totally ambidextrous. it will also be made from 7075 and, iirc, i thought i had seen something saying that when they are produced, they will come with a matched upper like the mega set.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/AX762.jpg

http://axtsweapons.com/products/AX762

wildmanjeff
09-15-12, 22:21
that's pretty cool too! if you cannot find that manufacturer, the mega has ambi lower receiver (bolt relase on right side) and I personally use the Troy ambi- mag release on the left side. it works great, requires maybe a little more pressure from the left side, but the button is more the same as the right hand side button. price is approx $60 and can be added without tools.

I looked into norgon left side mag release and heard it had problems-- so went with troy--it retains mags perfectly and is easily accuated.

only thing I need is ambi charging handle, thought about the ranier arms, but it has not been through enough hard testing for reliability for myself, I like the BCM Gunfighter and wish they made an ambi charging handle.

wildmanjeff
09-15-12, 22:27
that ADAC lower receiver is sweet too--first time I have seen it personally. It looks real similar to the mega.

Is the bolt release on left side proprietary?> it looks kinda long--the mega upper receivers have a thicker side wall and wonder if it would fit in the cutout. It probably would not be an issue with their upper though, which I would want just to have it match the lower receiver.

I am sure it will be nice!!
Now I am getting the .308 bug lol

broylz
09-16-12, 14:10
i have emailed axts a few times asking for updates. i usually get a response about them trying to keep up with demand from their other products and they are unsure about the time frame. last time i got told that i was added to a list of email notices for any future updates. i hope thats not just a put-off and that it will actually come to fruition. they said later this year last year, and now their site still says towards the end of the year.

MistWolf
09-16-12, 19:22
http://www.762sass.com/catalog.php has Armalite AR10(A) lowers and blemmed uppers. They take the Magpul mags and are forged from 7175 alloy. For the money, they appear to be the best stripped receivers going

wildmanjeff
09-16-12, 20:40
Man I kinda went through the same thing building my rifles.
I started a about april building my last rifle and I am still waiting on a spikes melonited mid lenght gas tube. I could use a standard Stainless steel gas tube, but just like the melonited and will wait a while longer. I have been waiting a long time now and just about all companies give you that same response--they won't give an eta--
gun builders/owners/modifiers buy just about all the parts as soon as they come in stock.

I signed up for literally hundreds of email notifications and waited 5-6 months for some parts. everyone will get a particular part at once--
I highly suggest setting a folder with all the like parts on a toolbar in firefox and put all the links for one part from every manufacturer in it so you can "open all in tabs" and look at each website to check the inventory. I did this for mega monolithic uppers and checked multiple times daily. when it came up on one website I bought 4 and within 4 hours they were sold out again--so sometimes they might even sell out before you get an email notification (maybe their inventory and email notifications go out at certain time of day). this was a VERY high demand part and I knew it and was willing to pay $20 more to make sure that I got it rather than wait for the website with the cheapest price to get it in stock(which they did about a week later). since then Mega stopped making the monolithic uppers totally and equipment exchanges are only place you can probably get them now. I really wanted one in .308 to match my AR-15s.

so about the best advice I can give is patience and look at different options if they are or become available. I noticed the parts would come back in stock about every 3 to 6 months.

Electronic Exchange on the forums are always putting parts up and selling very fast as well , and sometimes you get good deals, sometimes you might pay close to full price for a used price, but if it is an option for you -- you might can find parts there as well.

but I feel your pain bro in getting parts, I don't think it is really a runaround on the supplier's parts eta, but to be fair to everyone to give first come, first serve--and it seems they are fair! most will not let you pre-order

Brownells has largest selection, usually a little higher price means they are the last place to sell out of a particular item.

Man as we get close to election time gun owners buy everything up, and it may get worse yet.

hang in there and keep us informed how things are going!