PDA

View Full Version : Had a squib round get lodged in P2000 barrel today

lloydkristmas
09-15-12, 18:28
Normally my lowest standard for pistol ammo is Monarch brass cased, but I grabbed a box of "TulaAmmo" from Walmart for like 8 bucks and figured I would give it a try.

The 39th round in the box gave a little "pop" and the bullet was stuck about 1/4th the way down the barrel. I'm glad it was the last round in the mag, because I was shooting quick pairs, and I doubt I would have had time to register what had occurred and not fire a subsequent round.

I've shot THOUSANDS of rounds of Russian steel cased stuff through my AK's with no issues. Can't say I'll ever be using any more of the pistol ammo though.

I know Wolf/etc ammo has its reputation, but I thought I'd give a heads up nonetheless.

skyugo
09-15-12, 19:10
yeah tula is iffy stuff.

definitely the lowest of the low in terms of ammo.

neat fact- you can reload your own ammo for about 2/3's the cost of tula and watch the powder go into each and every round so you know what you're getting when you send the firing pin home.

Skunk Pilot
09-16-12, 04:23
yeah tula is iffy stuff.

definitely the lowest of the low in terms of ammo.

neat fact- you can reload your own ammo for about 2/3's the cost of tula and watch the powder go into each and every round so you know what you're getting when you send the firing pin home.

Even with reloading your own, I still recommend the RCBS Lock-Out Die or similar. I think this is the best one out there from what I've read about. I own one but I'm just getting into reloading and just got done setting it up, love it. With XL 650 I can see the powder after the Lock-Out Die in station #3 and right before it goes into the Hornady Bullet Feeder die in station #4 (think I should of gotten the RCBS one with the tube though, since Hornady one doesn't work right off the bat with .356 bullets). Of course I still need to look in there to make sure that the Lock-Out die is doing it's job. I hope I don't get too complacent with it installed though.

However, it's still man made, which means that it may fail at one point (assuming I set it up right to begin with). So skyugo is correct, only way to know for sure, is too just check yourself. That doesn't mean some or most of us won't get into zombie mode at times while reloading, we all know we should stop, but there has to be times when people need to get it done (before the weekend?).

To OP, I'm very glad you didn't get the opportunity to shoot a round afterwards.
I want to take my loads down to as low as I can go, sub minor mouse fart ones. So once I get really on the low end I'm going to probably have to load one round at a time for like 10 to 25 rounds or so before I move on to the next batch. Have to read more on what people recommend for the very low end on the correct testing procedures.

skyugo
09-17-12, 20:56
Even with reloading your own, I still recommend the RCBS Lock-Out Die or similar. I think this is the best one out there from what I've read about. I own one but I'm just getting into reloading and just got done setting it up, love it. With XL 650 I can see the powder after the Lock-Out Die in station #3 and right before it goes into the Hornady Bullet Feeder die in station #4 (think I should of gotten the RCBS one with the tube though, since Hornady one doesn't work right off the bat with .356 bullets). Of course I still need to look in there to make sure that the Lock-Out die is doing it's job. I hope I don't get too complacent with it installed though.

However, it's still man made, which means that it may fail at one point (assuming I set it up right to begin with). So skyugo is correct, only way to know for sure, is too just check yourself. That doesn't mean some or most of us won't get into zombie mode at times while reloading, we all know we should stop, but there has to be times when people need to get it done (before the weekend?).

To OP, I'm very glad you didn't get the opportunity to shoot a round afterwards.
I want to take my loads down to as low as I can go, sub minor mouse fart ones. So once I get really on the low end I'm going to probably have to load one round at a time for like 10 to 25 rounds or so before I move on to the next batch. Have to read more on what people recommend for the very low end on the correct testing procedures.

I can see the powder before i seat a bullet with the way my press is set up. but a lockout die isn't a bad idea of course.