PDA

View Full Version : Redi-Mod vs. mag couplers

TriumphRat675
09-16-12, 12:31
For those who have tried both, what, if any, advantage does the Redi-mod provide over mag couplers?

Kickin-Ewoks
09-16-12, 20:58
For those who have tried both, what, if any, advantage does the Redi-mod provide over mag couplers?

Why not buy a few Surefire 60 round mags? You have the same weight, or less, and you don't have to worry about changing mags for 60 rounds.

Is there a reason why you want 60 rounds available but want to change mags half way through?

Magic_Salad0892
09-16-12, 21:47
Why not buy a few Surefire 60 round mags? You have the same weight, or less, and you don't have to worry about changing mags for 60 rounds.

Is there a reason why you want 60 rounds available but want to change mags half way through?

Being able to use standard magazine pouches.

Kain
09-16-12, 21:57
I think one advantage to the Redi Mod is that it covered the tops of the mags and prevents debris from working its way into the mag and possibly causing issues as well as preventing rounds from walking forward. Down side I think the Redi Mod adds more weight to the platform and is harder to remove.

Joe R.
09-16-12, 22:17
Kain pretty much hit it in one. I used mag clamps for years, for the most part they worked fine, however I did have issues with rounds walking out when firing prone and using the mag as a monopod.

The Redi-Mag solves the rounds walking issue and keeps debris out of the top of the spare mag. Reloads are equally fast with the readi-mag or mag clamp in my experience.

While the Surefire mag has it's place, for a patrol gun I prefer the redi-mag as it provides two mags on the gun. If one goes Tango Uniform you have the spare in hand with out needing to grab a bailout bag. (Yes, we should all be grabbing our bailout bags when we deploy the rifle...no it doesn't always work that way.)

The only downside I can see to the redi-mag is the slightly different manipulation of the bolt stop/release. If you are using several different guns this could give you a second or so pause when switching back and forth.

The mission drives the gear. Give it a shot and see if it works for you in your enviornment. If it doesn't it should sell quickly.

Jmacken37
09-16-12, 22:32
Joe,

I'm with you. I see the Redi-mod/mag as very useful for a patrol rifle. I like having two mags on the gun. I like the Magpul BAD lever with the Redi-mod.

Jake

Magic_Salad0892
09-16-12, 23:09
Kain pretty much hit it in one. I used mag clamps for years, for the most part they worked fine, however I did have issues with rounds walking out when firing prone and using the mag as a monopod.

The Redi-Mag solves the rounds walking issue and keeps debris out of the top of the spare mag. Reloads are equally fast with the readi-mag or mag clamp in my experience.

While the Surefire mag has it's place, for a patrol gun I prefer the redi-mag as it provides two mags on the gun. If one goes Tango Uniform you have the spare in hand with out needing to grab a bailout bag. (Yes, we should all be grabbing our bailout bags when we deploy the rifle...no it doesn't always work that way.)

The only downside I can see to the redi-mag is the slightly different manipulation of the bolt stop/release. If you are using several different guns this could give you a second or so pause when switching back and forth.

The mission drives the gear. Give it a shot and see if it works for you in your enviornment. If it doesn't it should sell quickly.

An ambi lower helps out with that.

RMiller
09-16-12, 23:18
Boonie Packer Redi-Mag hands down. Mag couplers are clumsy in my opinion, and try stuffing a surefire mag in a M4 pouch.

Cincinnatus
09-17-12, 00:07
Another downside to mag coupling is that when you drop the firstmag, better have a hand on it, or the weight of the second will drop them both in the dirt before you can catch it. With the Redi-Mag, you can drop first mag, and still have second available in case you fumble-fudge and forget to have your hand there when dropping. Also, if you do have some pouched mags, you can feed those into the rifle when you have longer to reload, and then save the one in the Redi-mag for a last ditch back up.

jaxman7
09-17-12, 07:16
Another downside to mag coupling is that when you drop the firstmag, better have a hand on it, or the weight of the second will drop them both in the dirt before you can catch it. With the Redi-Mag, you can drop first mag, and still have second available in case you fumble-fudge and forget to have your hand there when dropping. Also, if you do have some pouched mags, you can feed those into the rifle when you have longer to reload, and then save the one in the Redi-mag for a last ditch back up.

Redi-Mag drops both mags. Redi-Mod has a separate release for the spare magazine. ;)

-Jax

hotrodder636
09-17-12, 07:35
Why would a Surfire mag not fitting in a standard mag pouch matter if you keep the 60 rounder in the gun and standard mags in the pouches?

RMiller
09-17-12, 08:03
Redi-Mag drops both mags. Redi-Mod has a separate release for the spare magazine. ;)

-Jax

That's actually why I like the RediMag. Hand on the second mag, release first, frees the second to be slapped in the primary, and slap side, or hit the bad lever. G2G.

Why would a Surfire mag not fitting in a standard mag pouch matter if you keep the 60 rounder in the gun and standard mags in the pouches?

My point is I wouldn't want to have the huge 60rd on my rifle. It may weigh the same, but just to clumsy compared to the smaller mags I'm used to. Another thought is cost, yea it may cost as much as a RediMag or RediMod, but even at that point a coupler could be used and had for much cheaper. Plus either of the Redi line or the couplers can be used with 30 rounders that most of us already have. And most of you M4 pouches are designed for a 30rd mag, especially speed mags. Then imagine if you had a failure 15 rds into the magazine, except when you strip the mag you fumble and drop it, and you have to keep moving. You just lost all your bullets in that mag. That's 45 vs 15.

markm
09-17-12, 12:06
The redi mag is neat, but I like having all my ARs set up the same when it comes to manipulation.

With the Pmag Mag coupler, you can run the second mag with the cover on. That keeps out debris and stops the top round from walking. I have one now, but haven't had a chance to run it to see if I like it. I'm thinking the front of the mag well can be used to kick off the cover on the 2nd mag.

When mag couplers come up in threads, I do agree that they have their niche and their limitations. But the point of the thing is to have extra ammo on the gun if you grab it and go.

TriumphRat675
09-17-12, 12:51
Thanks for the thoughts, all. I like the idea of the Redi-mag/mod, just like I like the idea of the Surefire mag and anything else I can buy to hang on my rifle and make myself poor. But I'm trying not to be as dumb with my credit card as I used to and can't justify spending the money if something already existing in the inventory fulfills a need I don't really have.

markm, I've found that the side of my rail is a good Pmag cover-stripper and seems to work better than the magwell, at the price of adding additional steps/motions to the reload process.

Quiet-Matt
09-17-12, 12:53
I'm with Markm on this issue. I like my guns set up the same but still like the option of having extra rounds on the gun, but not all in one basket like with the surefire 60. I have a magpul maglink and its a solid piece. Coupling the magazines is beneficial in the case of a mag failure, but the downside that I have found is in the event of a hard malfuncton such as a double feed or a bolt override when you ned to remove the mag it becomes a problem as to how to retain the mag(s). Best case scenario in a pinch would be to cary a spare mag in your back pocket, but for a bedside setup (when you most likely arent going to have pockets) I find the coupler to be ideal.

jaxman7
09-17-12, 12:57
That's actually why I like the RediMag. Hand on the second mag, release first, frees the second to be slapped in the primary, and slap side, or hit the bad lever.

I can respect why you prefer the Mag over the Mod and it may be a hair faster on reloads.

With malfunctions such as a double feed is where the Redi-Mod really shines. Especially while trying to clear a double feed while shooting with the support hand. You dont have to strip two mags at one time, drop one, make sure you drop the correct mag, or hold reload while working the charging handle. This coming from the perspective of a rightie.

-Jax

markm
09-17-12, 13:04
markm, I've found that the side of my rail is a good Pmag cover-stripper and seems to work better than the magwell, at the price of adding additional steps/motions to the reload process.

I thought about wiring the flap on the pmag cover to one of the mount knobs on the top of the upper... so it'd get popped off by default.

And yeah... you're differing your reload technique, but the idea is you have the option to reload at all instead of nothing at all.

Cecil Burch
09-18-12, 16:19

-Jax

The more recent version of the Redi-Mag holds the second mag with a separate release. It's what I have on mine and I bought it about a year and a half ago.

jaxman7
09-18-12, 16:51
The more recent version of the Redi-Mag holds the second mag with a separate release. It's what I have on mine and I bought it about a year and a half ago.

Thats right. I forgot there were 2 different versions (not including the new aluminum model) of the Redi-Mag. Thanks for the correction and apologies for my misinformation.

-Jax

Odglock
09-18-12, 16:56
I prefer Redi mag/Redi mod. Also, aren't there some issues with the surefire mags?

whick1
09-19-12, 07:17
I love the concept of the redi mag and one of my fellow deputies has it on his patrol rifle. However I just don;t like the feel of it. It seems to make it more off balance with the extra weight of the loaded mag being on the left side. It does make for faster reloads but with practice you can almost reload as fast from a belt as you can with the redi mag the same concept with mag couplers they just seem to throw the weapon off balance.

markm
09-19-12, 08:43
I love the concept of the redi mag and one of my fellow deputies has it on his patrol rifle. However I just don;t like the feel of it. It seems to make it more off balance with the extra weight of the loaded mag being on the left side. It does make for faster reloads but with practice you can almost reload as fast from a belt as you can with the redi mag the same concept with mag couplers they just seem to throw the weapon off balance.

Same with couplers. It's a trade off.

Now if I knew I had a mag on my belt, I'd skip the double mag on the gun set up. But on my Home D gun, I'll never have extra ammo on me if I need to grab that gun...