PDA

View Full Version : Federal Prison (UNICOR) Steals American Jobs

El Cid
09-16-12, 19:58
I'm stunned that this program hasn't been deep sixed yet... When I was still on active duty we wanted better chairs for our 24hr work center. We were required to buy UNICOR chairs because if how these ridiculous contracts are written. Their chairs were complete crap! Legs fell off, wheels fell off, terrible build quality all the way around. We fought and were finally given a waiver to buy quality chairs but it was time we could have spent doing more productive things.

So now because of this crazy law, UNICOR is stealing contracts and jobs for our military uniforms!! So now our troops will have quality issues with the clothing they wear into combat. It also means they will have to spend more not just because the UNICOR price is higher than the company they are putting out of business, but because the uniforms won't last so long as the current version.

For those who don't know, anything made by UNICOR is made by federal inmates.

http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=1698659.proteus.fma#quickPage_html_page_22995_content_80084074_pageNum_1

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-16-12, 20:11
OK that sucks, they lost there job or are going to loose them. I suppose I am with you, lock them up and don't give work away to them.

However for what its worth I don't think, the uniforms will get any worse! First pair of BDUs, I bought at the PX in the cargo pocket fell off. Soon after that I got my first sowing machine.

Denali
09-16-12, 20:40
Sorry, but UNICOR has been around forever, its only because of the economy that we're being prompted to be outraged!

I'm not outraged, the prisons have to support themselves somehow, you want outrage, look to the illegal alien labor pool, of which I'm certain the textile industry is a primary offender...