PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware -Quantico Tactical.

m4brian
09-17-12, 10:48
Bought an M&P 45 on Friday from Quantico Tactical. It is what I would call a 'tactical store' which sells firearms, and NOT a gunstore per se. I would say first that it is 'store policy' not to be able to field strip a firearm in the store. Some would say that 'it serves you right' to get smoked - fair, but not necessarily always applicable. I think I got burned a little, but may turn out fine. The following is for education/experience to others near a store or chain like this.

Friday I purchased the firearm, and before the sale, told it came with 3 mags. So... I stupidly didn't check before I took it to the counter. When I got to the car, I noted it had two. I took it right back, and the salesperson would not openly admit he told me that, and gave me the "store policy is no returns on firearms". Bad enough, but when I got home and was finally able to field strip to clean, I noted that: 1. The barrel was very dirty. 2. The rails were pretty worn. 3. There was plenty of brass residue on the slide breech face - more than one would see from a test fire. 4. The date of the fired round was April 2010. Yes, I could have looked into this before I left the store, but NEVER would have thought about it to even look at it.

I called SW, and unless it had had warranty work, they really would not know even if it had been sold on retail before. So, I called the QT Gen Manager, and kindly went through all of the above. After asking him to reconsider the policy, as this weapon has evidence of at least a range session or 2, he fell back into the "store policy" mode.

I only have to get burned once on this. Buyer beware. If you see a smokin deal here, look very carefully, and look at everything in the box, and do not trust what a salesman says. Verify BEFORE checkout.

I posted this ONLY after trying all avenues. I talked to the GENERAL manager of QT, and I don't think his response is adequate.

ElyasWolff
09-17-12, 11:11
Caveat emptor.
I am sorry to hear that. Thanks for the advice!
I was at my local gun store and found a smokin deal on a SR9c that the store bought in an estate sale. I was able to strip it and found that it was fired and not cleaned, but it still had the thick clear grease that they ship from the factory with. So I picked it up for $300 so I can make holsters for it. I am happy with that deal, but your experiences are a lesson for all of us... look closely at that awesome deal!

Check out Grant at G&R tactical or 44mag.com I think they both have mags for $25.

scoutfsu99
09-17-12, 11:18
Typical of Quantico Tactical. The one up in Washington, outside of Lewis sucks ass.

okie john
09-17-12, 11:42
When I worked in gun stores, we had a no-fieldstripping policy. Without one, we'd get people who don't know what they're doing disassembling and maybe damaging our inventory, and we'd have no recourse when they walked away. That said, if a buyer asked, then we would always strip a weapon and let them inspect the parts.

If a store won't do that, walk away.

Okie John

Fail-Safe
09-17-12, 12:39
I've had my fair share of problems with Quantico Tactical. I purchased some nylon gear from them at a gun show, but they were out, so they said they would mail it to me free of charge. After two months of not getting the stuff I paid for, and calling and speaking to different GMs, I got pissed and drove to Ft Hood from Dallas with my receipt.

I asked to speak with the GM, told her I drove from Dallas to get my stuff, and she denied any record of it, then said she didnt believe me. She said, "Army guys try this stuff all the time". I explained that I am not, nor have I ever been in the Army, and handed her my receipt. She just rolled her eyes, and walked away. 30 minutes later I ask a sales counter guy whats going on, and he comes back and says to get my gear from off the rack.

I cant trust them to sell me nylon, I wont trust them with anything more substantial.

Outrider
09-17-12, 12:57
It sucks to hear they ran the bait and switch on you. It's not the first time I've heard of a shop selling a gun as "new" after the guys behind the counter have tested it (used it) on the range.

You should check your state's laws. While store policy is store policy, often there are state laws covering what happens if something has been materially misrepresented by the store. I don't know about your particular state, but typically the Attorney General's Office has a consumer affairs division where complaints can be filed for unfair and deceptive business practices. Depending on the size of your town, your local district attorney's office may also have a department that handles consumer protection.

Wake27
09-17-12, 13:44
That's interesting and pretty unfortunate. I've always had good experiences with the shops here in VA. They also carry bulk Federal AE ammo for just barely over CCI Blazer prices, which I believe is a pretty good deal.

Failure2Stop
09-17-12, 14:19
Bought an M&P 45 on Friday from Quantico Tactical. It is what I would call a 'tactical store' which sells firearms, and NOT a gunstore per se. I would say first that it is 'store policy' not to be able to field strip a firearm in the store. Some would say that 'it serves you right' to get smoked - fair, but not necessarily always applicable. I think I got burned a little, but may turn out fine. The following is for education/experience to others near a store or chain like this.

Friday I purchased the firearm, and before the sale, told it came with 3 mags. So... I stupidly didn't check before I took it to the counter. When I got to the car, I noted it had two. I took it right back, and the salesperson would not openly admit he told me that, and gave me the "store policy is no returns on firearms". Bad enough, but when I got home and was finally able to field strip to clean, I noted that: 1. The barrel was very dirty. 2. The rails were pretty worn. 3. There was plenty of brass residue on the slide breech face - more than one would see from a test fire. 4. The date of the fired round was April 2010. Yes, I could have looked into this before I left the store, but NEVER would have thought about it to even look at it.

I called SW, and unless it had had warranty work, they really would not know even if it had been sold on retail before. So, I called the QT Gen Manager, and kindly went through all of the above. After asking him to reconsider the policy, as this weapon has evidence of at least a range session or 2, he fell back into the "store policy" mode.

I only have to get burned once on this. Buyer beware. If you see a smokin deal here, look very carefully, and look at everything in the box, and do not trust what a salesman says. Verify BEFORE checkout.

I posted this ONLY after trying all avenues. I talked to the GENERAL manager of QT, and I don't think his response is adequate.

Brian, since there are a few of these stores around, would you please let us know what store/location your experience was at?

I-M4-REAL
09-17-12, 14:22
+1 for checking it out before layin' down your hard earned ca$h!
I'm leary of ALL of 'em!

R1J1D
09-17-12, 14:47
Thanks for posting.

if everyone stayed quiet about their mistakes no one else could learn from them.

after reading some of the responses here I dont think I would buy another gun without having the owner field strip it for me, you never know there could be a broken part in there that you get blamed for when the gun is all apart.

is there any way you could contact M&P about this, even if they dont have a warranty maybe they would like to know how that store is representing them.

Kodiak
09-17-12, 14:53
I've made that mistake too. I had my wife pick up a rifle for me, while I was out of town, and did not tell her to at least look it over. It had a few scratches that I did not care for. It was my fault thou, I should have picked it up or at the very least been there. Never again.

Suwannee Tim
09-17-12, 14:56
Other than the principle of the thing if the gun was fired a hundred or two rounds you are not really hurt. Not verifying that there were three mags is your omission, you just have to eat it. Don't let is spoil your week.

okie john
09-17-12, 14:58
Once this thread builds up some steam, the OP should forward a link to the leadership over at QT--they may not know what their minions are doing.

Okie John

chewie
09-17-12, 15:23
Once this thread builds up some steam, the OP should forward a link to the leadership over at QT--they may not know what their minions are doing.

Okie JohnI agree. Sometimes businesses don't know the damage they've done until complaints become more widespread.

I met the guys from QT at the Ft Worth gun show a few months ago. The had a bunch of gear. I wouldn't purchase a weapon if I wasn't allowed to check it out first. .02

SSGGlock
09-17-12, 17:12
Would be nice to know which exact store. I've had good service from the one in Northern VA, but they just started selling guns.

I was under the impression the M&P 45 only came with two mags.

m4brian
09-17-12, 17:37
Yes, in the end, I may have a great shooting pistol. Its's a bit of principle. I am also not vindictive, and don't want to trash their operation. They do offer discounts to pol/mil and decent gear for a good price. There sales force needs real work on firearms - low knowledge quotient. they should offer to disassemble to show the innards. Ironically the first day they were open they did this, but then stopped evidently.

Again, not a"don't buy" from me, just a caution. I did talk to someone who identified as the GM.

ffhounddog
09-17-12, 18:21
Which Quantico Tactical Store did you go to?

m4brian
09-17-12, 18:50
Woodbridge. BTW - bought an XD from them when they had a license years ago and the experience was completely different. Hope that they get there again.

Also, I was not so hard over on inspection of a S&W MP .45 as the reports are all very good on these weapons, and I never even thought about checking the YEAR on the fired cartridge before leaving the store. And... when the salesman tells you it comes with 3 mags when you ask the question, and you've heard it from other folks in the store, you just don't think you have to check. I'm sure the GM knows now, as I explained all this to him. If I did not talk to the GM, and get this respectful but ironclad/robotic response, I would not have posted here. I wanted to see if the chain of command would work.

RockBottom
09-17-12, 19:42
This is good to know about - I wonder if the on-line sales is similarly problematic. I was hoping to buy an M&P40 from them or G&R. The price from QT looks a little better, plus it's an extra mag, but I like the fact Grant is on this and other boards so I'm likely going that way (the M&P40 is out of stock right now) after hearing this.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-28-12, 06:32
I had almost nightmarish experiences with them when I was stationed at Pendleton. I almost dont want to go into detail because at some points it starts to sound unbelievable. Ive sworn off their entire operation, the fact that they give a discount to mil/leo means nothing to me when they dont treat us like human beings from the get-go.

chakup
09-28-12, 10:17
This is good to know about - I wonder if the on-line sales is similarly problematic. I was hoping to buy an M&P40 from them or G&R. The price from QT looks a little better, plus it's an extra mag, but I like the fact Grant is on this and other boards so I'm likely going that way (the M&P40 is out of stock right now) after hearing this.

Willing to get Grant will work with you to make the deal happen, and you'll be buying from someone who supports us as a group, not preys on us.

TehLlama
09-28-12, 14:42
After 10 minutes in that place, I wrote it off as bait for boot-ieutenants.

RockBottom
09-29-12, 01:01
Willing to get Grant will work with you to make the deal happen, and you'll be buying from someone who supports us as a group, not preys on us.

I agree completely, that's why I haven't bought from QT yet. But the 40s been out of stock at G&R for over a month - I'm keeping my fingers crossed they come in soon! :)

C4IGrant
09-29-12, 05:40

Yep, we can help.

C4

kwesi
09-29-12, 09:12
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear about the lack of customer service at QT.

m4brian
09-29-12, 11:09
Because of a similar thread on the S&W forum, the real GM is calling me. I have to call him back this weekend. He aims to straighten it out. MTF.

RockBottom
09-29-12, 14:35
Yep, we can help.

C4

I was the guy (Mike Wolff) who emailed you yesterday asking about if you had a guesstimate as to when the M&P40 might be coming in - I'm patiently waiting. :)

d90king
09-29-12, 14:55
Thanks for the heads up Brian. Sucks you had to deal with BS when you're just trying to buy a gun. Shouldn't be that hard...

Yankeewhite
09-29-12, 22:07
I've got nothing but good to say about the one next to Fort Riley.

varoadking
09-30-12, 10:40
I had two encounters with who I believe was the owner, a former USMC Major, IIRC, at gun shows a number of years ago. I avoid them since...

SSGGlock
10-17-12, 21:09
Because of a similar thread on the S&W forum, the real GM is calling me. I have to call him back this weekend. He aims to straighten it out. MTF.

What was the end result?

lawusmc0844
10-18-12, 11:49
I had almost nightmarish experiences with them when I was stationed at Pendleton. I almost dont want to go into detail because at some points it starts to sound unbelievable. Ive sworn off their entire operation, the fact that they give a discount to mil/leo means nothing to me when they dont treat us like human beings from the get-go.

Also stationed there, and stopped going there years ago because of one particular douche employee's condescending stereotypical attitude. Also noticed their prices are above MSRP. They do have good prices on their firearms however. I did recently bought an MC Operator from them since the price was right and they're so hard to find. That one douche doesn't seem to work there anymore but Im deployed now, maybe give them another chance again when I get back to the states.

JSantoro
10-18-12, 14:40
The one actually aboard Quantico isn't a bad place, just a very small store, with hours that are no good to most anybody that doesn't live/work aboard base, or has the time during business hours to stop by during their lunch break. They carry Averoe paint on the shelves(makes sense, Scout/Sniper School being nearby...) and the dudes that work there seem pretty up in terms of knowledge base.

The Woodbridge shop....the out-the-door prices for AE pistol ammo were actually pretty damned competitive, particularly for a brick-and-mortar place, but some of the stuff I heard the staff telling folks at the gun counter...yeesh. Knowledge base is both shallow AND narrow. No armorer on-deck, no indication if there's ever gonna be. Pass.

You guys at Pendleton, are you talking about the fat loudmouthed "moustache" that squats behind the register, and that loudly stammers out inarticulate Marine-isms ("Cleared hot! K-k-kill babies!"), instead of answering questions...?

lawusmc0844
10-19-12, 14:08
Haha, its been awhile since I've last saw him but short, fat with moosestache sounds about right! He also calls himself by his rank, I hope we're talking about the same guy.

Don't recall hearing YUT YUT KILL but nice gems like "Glocks are crap!" (they didn't sell them at the time but was still being a smart-ass), "I don't stake my castle nut, I use RED LOCTITE!" and "We don't sell FA bolt carriers because they're illegal!" :rolleyes:

CommO
10-19-12, 20:22
I thought the Woodbridge store has been closed down for at least a year or more...the only time I was ever there was when they had their clearance sales before closing.

In general, I agree with the "buyer beware" regarding QT. Years ago (2003?), when it first opened, I used to occasionally stop by the store in Quantico. I was an acquaintance (barely) of the owner through our "day jobs". Back then, the store was decent...haven't been there in years. Back then, it was one of the very few places you could actually "go" in Northern VA to buy the type of gear they sell.

I stopped buying from them when a mail order for a set of gloves (again, years ago) never shipped to me and they stopped answering my inquiries (from Iraq) as to where it was. Not worth the hassle.

Wake27
10-19-12, 21:13
I thought the Woodbridge store has been closed down for at least a year or more...the only time I was ever there was when they had their clearance sales before closing.

In general, I agree with the "buyer beware" regarding QT. Years ago (2003?), when it first opened, I used to occasionally stop by the store in Quantico. I was an acquaintance (barely) of the owner through our "day jobs". Back then, the store was decent...haven't been there in years. Back then, it was one of the very few places you could actually "go" in Northern VA to buy the type of gear they sell.

I stopped buying from them when a mail order for a set of gloves (again, years ago) never shipped to me and they stopped answering my inquiries (from Iraq) as to where it was. Not worth the hassle.

They've moved around a few times. Now they're in a shopping center by Potomac Mills.

SHIVAN
10-19-12, 21:23
David (Dave) Hensley used to be the go-to guy for direct, no-nonsense service. If you are not speaking to him, you are not "at the top" of the food chain. His wife, I am airmailing her name at the moment, was obviously also top notch.

They were both officers in the Marine Corps, and conducted themselves accordingly.

richiecotite
10-20-12, 00:06
I'm local to the wood bridge outlet store; their pricing is pretty damned good. Last summer (2011) when they were actually inside the mall, they had 30% off everything for a while, windowed Pmags were about $12 per.

This year when you couldn't find ammo, much less at a decent price, they sold xm193 for $7 a box, or $319 per thousand. I thought it was decent they didn't jack the price up.

Sucks you had a bad experience, it seems like each location is it's own fiefdom where service varies wildly.

edit* it does seem the service was better before their grand remodeling, when it was just the 3 younger guys running the store.