PDA

View Full Version : Suggested FA training

maximus83
09-17-12, 15:14
This weekend I took the NRA range safety (RSO) training and it was strongly recommended to get basic First Aid/CPR training. I took FA/CPR years ago but have signed up for a refresher class.

Questions about FA training for range use:
1. Is there additional FA live or online training that is tailored to shooting use, and that I should definitely get? Browsed some of the WFA and EMT-related training courses in my area, and these looked useful. But all I saw that go beyond basic FA/CPR are spread out over multiple days or weeks, and may be overkill for what I'm doing.

2. Any worthwhile books/videos on FA/CPR that I should use to complement the FA course? Currently I have Medicine for the Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Medicine-Outdoors-Essential-Emergency-Procedures/dp/0323068138) for reference.

3. Should I get liability insurance for cases where I'm acting as an RSO and might need to provide medical help? They taught us that "Good Samaritan" laws in WA state prevent us from being charged as long as we try to help someone within the limits of our training. But just because you cannot be criminally charged by the state, does not stop an individual or their family from filing civil suits against you.

ar911d
10-03-12, 23:00
The main elements of first aid outside of your BLS/CPR training would be bleeding control and burns, not so much the "oww, my FSB is hot" burns but the hot gasses in the eye and now I can't see type. I would also look at places like REI or the local FD and see if they offer hiker/wilderness first aid classes. If you can't find relevant classes in your area, you might consider picking up a used copy of Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured. It was the textbook I used back when I got my EMT-B, and will have a lot of good reference material for you. You might also look at the snakebite/insect section depending on your range situation. As far as liability, the law will hold you accountable to performing tasks you have been trained and certified to do. Casual attempts at first aid such as pressure on a wound etc. are covered under the good samaritan law. As soon as you start to get into more advanced techniques that you have not been trained on, i.e. tourniquets, that is when you start to open yourself up to legal trouble. Keep it simple. This is based on my experience as a Paramedic in AZ over that last 6 years.

Caduceus
10-04-12, 17:45
Try looking for Tactical Combat Casualty Course. It's a military program but sometimes you can find training courses based off of it.

I also know that there are some folks w/ copies of the course book - not sure if it's on here or TOS.

A lot falls outside of first aid, like needle decompressions, but it's more trauma-specific.

NCMedic
10-04-12, 18:30
The TCCC classes are probably a good start as would a basic first aid class, keep in mind that it will depend on your area as to what you are going to be prepared for, are you 30+ minutes from EMS or are you 5 minutes from additional help?
Don't over look the medical aspects as well, you are probably more likely to get someone stung by a bee or have a cardiac or diabetic issue than someone actually getting shot, as well as sprains and strains, etc.

Sent from this... Using that...

maximus83
10-05-12, 11:54
Thanks for the tips on the TCCC course, saw a local course available at Insight Training (http://www.insightstraining.com/view_course.asp?courseID=156).

Eventually I'll take either the TCCC or at least a WFA course at REI. Both seem a lot more useful than the basic FA training.