PDA

View Full Version : PMAG problems

FMJ5.56
09-17-12, 16:38
Hey guys have a couple brand new pmags an when I load the mag an shoot one round the mags fall out.. what's the issue with the pmags ive heard of other ppl having the same type of issues should I exchange them for another pair or what?

NoveskeFan
09-17-12, 16:50
Bolt open or closed when you load mag? Also, when you slap the mag in, can you pull it out without pushing the mag release? Might need to tighten the mag release one or two turns.

MEGA-M4
09-17-12, 16:53
Hey guys have a couple brand new pmags an when I load the mag an shoot one round the mags fall out.. what's the issue with the pmags ive heard of other ppl having the same type of issues should I exchange them for another pair or what?

Did you build this AR yourself?

FMJ5.56
09-17-12, 16:53
Bolts closed an jus pull the charging handle back

FMJ5.56
09-17-12, 16:55
No I bought a complete BCM M4 MOD2

FMJ5.56
09-17-12, 16:56
Brand new directly from BCM

NoveskeFan
09-17-12, 16:57

Make sure to fully insert the mag. Sometimes, with the bolt closed, it's hard to fully seat a mag. After you insert the mag, make sure to give it a slight tug to be sure it's locked in. Try loading with the bolt open, and see if the mag seats properly.

IYAAYASwarrior
09-17-12, 16:57

Try leaving the bolt open or locked back, load the magazine and send the bolt forward. While loading or reloading the mag are you ensuring it is seating well? Maybe try giving it a little tug.

***a little late***

FVC3
09-17-12, 17:01

Do you have other mags that do not exhibit this problem? If so, are they Pmags or aluminum?

ST911
09-17-12, 17:04
Use only 28 rounds in your PMags to help seating.
Use an aggressive push-pull technique to seat the magazine rather than slapping it into place.
Double check seating of the mag via open/closed bolt comparisons.

RichFitz
09-17-12, 19:44
Use an aggressive push-pull technique to seat the magazine rather than slapping it into place.
Double check seating of the mag via open/closed bolt comparisons.

THIS.

If you continue to have issues after trying this then contact us and we will sort it out.

ForTehNguyen
09-17-12, 19:49
you dont need to download pmags, that was one of the original advantages it had over USGI

ST911
09-17-12, 22:14
you dont need to download pmags, that was one of the original advantages it had over USGI

I'm not a pundit, and I use bunches of PMags. While more agreeable to full capacity seating than their USGI counterparts, enough PMags are better at 28 than 30 that downloading is still advisable.

FMJ5.56
09-17-12, 22:19
Thanks guys ill try everything everyone has mentioned tomorrow an get bck with everyone to inform y'all on what all happens

denn1911
09-17-12, 22:27
I use P-Mags almost exclusively, and I've had great experience with them. When loaded to 30, I need to be aggressive when completing a reload with the bolt forward. Pulling down to ensure it's fully seated is required, but I pull down on the mag for every reload, whether the bolt locked back or not. Due to the harder time inserting a fully loaded P-Mag, I usually load to 28. This is faster and more efficient for me so I go with it.

Iraqgunz
09-18-12, 00:18
What method are you using when conducting a load and reload?

Thanks guys ill try everything everyone has mentioned tomorrow an get bck with everyone to inform y'all on what all happens

FMJ5.56
09-18-12, 00:21
I do tactical reloads I also use my usgi mag that came withe my BCM an it works fine.

DeAdeYE15
09-18-12, 00:25
To the OP, any updates with the techniques listed?

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 00:28

You know, if you would pay a little more attention to things like spelling and grammar, and then maybe try to be a little more descriptive about your various "problems" it might help me, or someone else to answer your questions in a timely and efficient manner.

spartakis252
09-18-12, 00:35

While this is true, it is also possible to over load PMAGs.

FMJ5.56 are you counting as you load or are you loading until another round won't go in? If its the latter that could be your problem.

My PMAGs will hold 32 rounds and not seat properly. Even 31 rounds will cause issues sometimes. Haven't had an issue since I started counting as I load(I don't have stripper clips).

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 00:39

FMJ5.56 are you counting as you load or are you loading until another round won't go in? If its the latter that could be your problem.

My PMAGs will hold 32 rounds and not seat properly. Even 31 rounds will cause issues sometimes. Haven't had an issue since I started counting as I load(I don't have stripper clips).

You should only be loading 27 rounds in a 30 round magazine anyway, so it stands to reason that loading 31 rounds in a 30 round magazine would "sometimes" cause trouble.

DeAdeYE15
09-18-12, 00:40

I've used Pmags extensively and did not know this. I use mostly stripper clips, but have just loaded until it was topped off, seated just fine in my BCM.

FMJ5.56
09-18-12, 00:40
Well from what info I've gotten from other post on this thread I'm sure I can go to the range tomorrow an figure out if its sonething I'm doing wrong or just a problem with the pmag.. I've seen a few videos with ppl having the same problem an its the mag its self and they have contacted magpul and they are sending the ppl new mags.

FMJ5.56
09-18-12, 00:55
Ya I've never used stripper clips it seats just fine aftee I load the mag its just after the first shot is fired its like the mag just comes loose an falls right out after I pull the bolt back after that an lock the bolt insert the mag again rack the bolt foward shoots just fine never falls out, its just that first round sho... I've done numerous techniques. And to the ppl the have asked if I count as I'm loading yes. My pmag will hold exactly 31

FMJ5.56
09-18-12, 00:58
But that could be the problem is that I put 31 rounds in, but.I've even only loaded 20 rounds an still same issue.

DeAdeYE15
09-18-12, 01:05
Try loading with the bolt locked back, it sounds like that may be the problem. Give the mag a good tug to make sure it's locked in. Report back and let us know how it went.

hotrodder636
09-18-12, 22:11
You know, if you would pay a little more attention to things like spelling and grammar, and then maybe try to be a little more descriptive about your various "problems" it might help me, or someone else to answer your questions in a timely and efficient manner.

+1. OP, It is hard to follow what you say/ask in your posts

Doc. Holiday
09-18-12, 22:19
Yea, I've had a similar issue with my PMAGs. I noticed that they will hold about 31 rounds and if that's the case they will not seat. After I took it down to 29 rounds, never had an issue.

But you also mentioned that even with 20 rounds it's still not functioning? :confused: I would contact Magpul. Did this happen after a some uses with the mags or has this happened right out of the packaging?

FMJ5.56
09-18-12, 22:21
Figured Id report back. I racked the bolt back locked it back an loaded the mag shot it an had no issues.. thanks for some of your info guys. Also I've ordered an eotech 512 an please before y'all bust my balls I've talked to a lot guys an seen youtube vids an a lot of guys love them with no issues an some had a few that was jut battery life. But what's yalls thoughts I cant afford aimpoint not.gonna spend 700 on an optic just for battery life

IYAAYASwarrior
09-18-12, 22:26
Figured Id report back. I racked the bolt back locked it back an loaded the mag shot it an had no issues.. thanks for some of your info guys. Also I've ordered an eotech 512 an please before y'all bust my balls I've talked to a lot guys an seen youtube vids an a lot of guys love them with no issues an some had a few that was jut battery life. But what's yalls thoughts I cant afford aimpoint not.gonna spend 700 on an optic just for battery life

Sweet...I only load my Pmags with 28...Get the 512 man, if it holds up to what you have to throw at it-->Ride it out

FMJ5.56
09-18-12, 22:55
Cool thanks man

ST911
09-18-12, 22:58

No need to spend $700.00. Aimpoint PRO here: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12841

SPQR476
09-18-12, 23:08
And don't load 31 in your PMags. The extra space is for a little give to seat the mag on a closed bolt. I run 30 in PMAGS and EMAGS, but if you're having trouble seating on a closed bolt, downloading a round or two may help.

Run it like you stole it. Being on the firm side helps.

DeAdeYE15
09-19-12, 00:00

What???:confused: Do you proof read these post? Glad to hear things worked out. I run a 512 on one of my carbines, it's worked just fine. My other gun wears a PRO. If I could do it over both would have the PRO, same price but the PRO is way above the 512.

bullittmcqueen
09-19-12, 06:04
On the issue of overloading PMAGS, from my personal experience, almost all of my PMAGS will accept 31 rounds and they will NOT seat into the magwell without falling out. Despite any amount of forceful entry, my PMAGS will not seat and strip and round with 31 rounds. They do seat with 30, but not without some aggressive push/pulling. I've just started running them with 28 rounds to avoid all problems period. More than once I've miscounted trying to load 30 and mistakenly loaded 31 during a competition. Never again.

SPQR476
09-19-12, 09:21
Just remember "top round, right". If the top round is on the right side, and there's a little give in the round stack--like almost enough for another round, but not without some significant force-- it's bueno. That's 30. Downloading introduces a little more forgiveness in seating force; some guns are easier or harder to seat, so I'm not saying you're doing something wrong if you don't run 30, at all.

500grains
09-19-12, 09:24
Due to being paranoid, I only put 27 rounds in any magazine (unless it is a 20 rounder).

Hehuhates
09-19-12, 09:38
I load all of my P-mags to capacity 20 in 20's, 30 in 30's. I've never had a problem with them staying in, feeding or falling free. I was betting they would suck when I was gifted my first 3, I lost.

El Cid
09-19-12, 12:14
What???:confused: Do you proof read these post?
All of his posts look like that. Makes me wonder if he is really a 13 year old posting from the school library...

As for mag filling, I've always filled to 20 or 30 and had no problems. To quote Pat McNamara, "stripper clips come in 10, 10, and 10. Not, 10, 10, and 8."

FMJ5.56
09-19-12, 12:25
I'm 22 actually sorry again didn't know I was in high school english class! You guys take this forum shit way to far..

Rattlehead
09-19-12, 13:08
I'm 22 actually sorry again didn't know I was in high school english class! You guys take this forum shit way to far..

Chill.

Your posts are hard to read at times, that's it.

Don't load to 31, when in doubt go 28. Push pull also.

skullworks
09-19-12, 13:21
I load all of my P-mags to capacity 20 in 20's, 30 in 30's. I've never had a problem with them staying in, feeding or falling free. I was betting they would suck when I was gifted my first 3, I lost.
Mirrors my experience as well; Pmags are designed to lock in even when filled to capacity (capacity being 30/20 NOT 31/21).

Now, using magpul follower and ranger plates on aluminum mag requires downloading by two.

Tatatatatatapatalk 2

FMJ5.56
09-19-12, 13:26
I've just been running 28. Working great now, also besides battery life what do you think of the eotech 512? Don't bust my balls like most an say eotech is garbage. I know some 512s have issues but from what I've gathered from guys that have them the issue is fixed.

Hehuhates
09-19-12, 13:34
FMJ, your asking for an opinion but at the same time asking not to be given a particular opinion

PrevailFI
09-19-12, 13:46
No need to spend $700.00. Aimpoint PRO here: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12841

Same place has T1 and ADM QD mount combo for $610.00 delivered. C'mon man, you know you want to...:D

markm
09-19-12, 13:55
You guys take this forum shit way to far..

It's actually "too" far. Not "to" far.

orionz06
09-19-12, 14:04
28, firm push-pull, zero problems. If a mag doesn't work this way just shitcan it.

kyrin88
09-19-12, 14:25
Sorry to go off topic, but I am having some issues with my 20rnd pmags. The bolt does not lock back on the last round resulting in a click but no bang. this does not happen on my other 30 rnd pmags. Any suggestions other than tossing them?

orionz06
09-19-12, 14:36
Sell them.

Voodoo_Man
09-19-12, 14:45
Pmag does not work?

Trash, sell or use a hammer.

They are cheap enough.

SPQR476
09-19-12, 15:01
Sorry to go off topic, but I am having some issues with my 20rnd pmags. The bolt does not lock back on the last round resulting in a click but no bang. this does not happen on my other 30 rnd pmags. Any suggestions other than tossing them?

What rifle? The 20's are very picky about rifle specs because of the straight body and non-anti tilt follower.

There's a better mousetrap coming.

Hehuhates
09-19-12, 15:11
28, firm push-pull, zero problems. If a mag doesn't work this way just shitcan it.

Substitute 30 for 28 and I agree 100%

kyrin88
09-19-12, 16:19
What rifle? The 20's are very picky about rifle specs because of the straight body and non-anti tilt follower.

There's a better mousetrap coming.

Sorry, it's an Ar-15 LMt defender. It feeds well until the last round. Click!, no boom; gets me every time:mad:

Iraqgunz
09-19-12, 18:55
Don't ask for peoples opinions if you don't want to hear what they have to say. Or you can go to some airsoft forum and they will tell you it's the cat's ass and have fun with it.

I've just been running 28. Working great now, also besides battery life what do you think of the eotech 512? Don't bust my balls like most an say eotech is garbage. I know some 512s have issues but from what I've gathered from guys that have them the issue is fixed.

krypto
09-19-12, 19:38

Like many, I have owned both Aimpoint's and EoTech's. I much prefer the battery life and overall quality of the Aimpoint's but I much prefer the field of view EoTech's offer. That said, I'm currently using an Aimpoint. As a casual shooter, even I have replaced the battery in an EoTech....but never in an Aimpoint.

Aimpoint's, very nice models, can be purchased for much less than $700. My current Aimpoint, a Comp ML2 with Larue mount, was less than $400.

Airhasz
09-20-12, 09:07

I always load mags to capacity, never had a problem...

Army Chief
09-20-12, 09:24
Shutting this one down to prevent a misleading thread title from resulting in future misunderstandings, rumors or groundless product concerns.

I've seen nothing here to suggest that the OPs PMAGs were in any way faulty, and without being unkind about it in the slightest, this appears to be a fairly straightforward shooter education issue. Some rifles are more prone to feeding problems than others, but as a rule, PMAGs are rarely the source of these difficulties, unless perhaps we are talking very specifically about the 20-round versions.

Load the magazines to their designed 30-round capacities (or slightly under), and insure that they are inserted into the weapon with positive force and correct technique -- push/pull -- and you will have zero issues with current production PMAGs.

AC