PDA

View Full Version : Eval from shooting

kVon
09-17-12, 23:35
I have seen tons of threads about buffer weight. I got my stamp on Thursday, went shooting Saturday at an indoor range. The gun ran flawlessly with 100 rounds of 5.56 and 100 rounds of .223 (not a ton of rounds, I know).

The threads I have read say to adjust buffer weight based on where the shells eject. I can't tell at an indoor range but they seem to be coming out at 3:00 when I'm standing all the way over in my lane. I'm not really worried about dicking with everything under the sun to get the proper pile placement, but don't want my rifle beating the shit out of itself. What else can I look for to see if I may need to step up in buffer weight.

This is a complete LMT 10.5" sbr. Carbine buffer is what I am currently running.

Iraqgunz
09-17-12, 23:50
Forget that ejection pattern crap. But, I will tell you based upon my experience with thousands of rounds through SBR's if you want it to shoot smoother look at an H2 or H3 buffer.

I have seen tons of threads about buffer weight. I got my stamp on Thursday, went shooting Saturday at an indoor range. The gun ran flawlessly with 100 rounds of 5.56 and 100 rounds of .223 (not a ton of rounds, I know).

The threads I have read say to adjust buffer weight based on where the shells eject. I can't tell at an indoor range but they seem to be coming out at 3:00 when I'm standing all the way over in my lane. I'm not really worried about dicking with everything under the sun to get the proper pile placement, but don't want my rifle beating the shit out of itself. What else can I look for to see if I may need to step up in buffer weight.

This is a complete LMT 10.5" sbr. Carbine buffer is what I am currently running.

kVon
09-18-12, 08:40
Thanks for the response IG. If I try an H2 buffer, is there anything I need to look for, other than just feeding reliably? I really only shoot 5.56 and specifically bought .223 just to see if it would choke.

If it cycles properly with the H2, I'm good to go?

markm
09-18-12, 08:59
Thanks for the response IG. If I try an H2 buffer, is there anything I need to look for, other than just feeding reliably? I really only shoot 5.56 and specifically bought .223 just to see if it would choke.

If it cycles properly with the H2, I'm good to go?

H2 is probably pretty good on an LMT 10.5. They used to be known for having reasonable gas ports.

You just need to know your gun by feel. Like gunz said... the pattern theory is horse shit. It can be a part of diagnosing a gun but that's all.

kVon
09-18-12, 14:20
H2 is probably pretty good on an LMT 10.5. They used to be known for having reasonable gas ports.

You just need to know your gun by feel. Like gunz said... the pattern theory is horse shit. It can be a part of diagnosing a gun but that's all.

I will order an H2 and give it a try. I didn't pay much attention to the recoil, but if it smooths out the cycling I would consider it money well spent.

Thank you for your help.