PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some new sights for my M&P

Djstorm100
09-18-12, 07:52
As the title states, I'm looking for some new sights. They have the factory three dot/night sights and during quick draw/engagement I find it being hard to pick up the front sight post.

I looked at the trijicon HD night sight, has anyone used them? This is for my EDC. Possibly looking to do it to my full size 9 M&P as well.

Thanks

wahoo95
09-18-12, 08:22
Question ....are you cross eye dominant? I ask because I am and its the reason I hate 3 dot sights. I prefer a solid rear such as the 10-08 Rear with a dot up front. The HD sights are nice but if you're cross eye dominant they wont fix the issue.

Djstorm100
09-18-12, 08:24
Question ....are you cross eye dominant? I ask because I am and its the reason I hate 3 dot sights. I prefer a solid rear such as the 10-08 Rear with a dot up front. The HD sights are nice but if you're cross eye dominant they wont fix the issue.

Ed,

Yes sir. I'm right handed by left eye dominat. I was hoping the HD sights would work as I do like my night sights. Reason being is if I have a BG in the house one night or something to that nature.

This rear with stock front?

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/S%26W-M%26P-Rear-Sight.html

Vic303
09-18-12, 08:26
I've been thinking about getting an MP9 with the Ameriglo Idot sights with the orange front.

wahoo95
09-18-12, 08:29
The I Dots and HD sights will still leave you with the problem of 3 dots for your eyes to sort out. Best option would be either a plain rear or something like he Heinie Straight 8 set up since its easier for a cross eye dominant person to put one dot on top of the other than line up 3 dots horizontally.

Course the other option is converting to shooting left handed.

bdcheung
09-18-12, 08:40
This rear with stock front?

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/S%26W-M%26P-Rear-Sight.html

I personally dislike the 10-8 rear. The U-notch isnt to my liking, and I find the gap too narrow for quick sight alignment.

I am using the Ameriglo Pro I-Dot and am a huge fan.

I'd even happier if I could find a serrated, wide, square-notched rear sight that was all black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djstorm100
09-18-12, 08:50
The I Dots and HD sights will still leave you with the problem of 3 dots for your eyes to sort out. Best option would be either a plain rear or something like the Heinie Straight 8 set up since its easier for a cross eye dominant person to put one dot on top of the other than line up 3 dots horizontally.

Course the other option is converting to shooting left handed.

I personally dislike the 10-8 rear. The U-notch isnt to my liking, and I find the gap too narrow for quick sight alignment.

I am using the Ameriglo Pro I-Dot and am a huge fan.

I'd even happier if I could find a serrated, wide, square-notched rear sight that was all black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the Ameriglo Pro I

http://gunholstersunlimited.com/ameriglo-pro-i-dot-sight-2-dot-all-s-w-m-p-except-pro-l-models-green-front-rear-push-button-sw4.html?cat_id=95

I couldn't find "Heinie Straight 8" but I assume that this it is.
http://www.heinie.com/images/4095.JPG

I'm picking up a pro with front fiber optic but no night-sights. So I'll see how that goes.

I'm just thinking here but if a BG was in the house it is more "point and squeeze" than aiming because of the close range?

I shoot pistol right but rifle left.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-18-12, 08:58
Interesting post.

I have been thinking of swapping out my 3 dots as well since being cross eye dominant I seem to have the same issue discussed here.

Djstorm100
09-18-12, 09:01
What I've came a custom to is taking my chin and putting it in the bend of the elbow. It works but been trying to do "double taps" (I hate that word) on a 4 inch peice of steel at 25yards I'm finding it hard to get a clean follow up shot. It's still new full size 9. Shooting walmart federal.

wahoo95
09-18-12, 09:08
The sight pic on the Pro uses the plain rear sight and front fiber optic so it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Before I got my 10-08 I simply used a black sharpie to blacken my rest dots on the factory sights.

Exiledviking
09-18-12, 09:17
I've found that the Sevigny sights (tritium front with an all-black rear) by Warren Tactical is the best sight picture for me. No confusion and very fast.

Djstorm100
09-18-12, 09:25
I've found that the Sevigny sights (tritium front with an all-black rear) by Warren Tactical is the best sight picture for me. No confusion and very fast.

does the front sight post really matter if it is tritium/fiber/dot?

wahoo95
09-18-12, 09:31
does the front sight post really matter if it is tritium/fiber/dot?

If you want to see it in low light it does.

Djstorm100
09-18-12, 09:37
If you want to see it in low light it does.

Right but I didn't know if one would give a faster picture/better than the other.

Im a newbe when it comes to modying them. Cars is a different story.

wahoo95
09-18-12, 09:45
Right but I didn't know if one would give a faster picture/better than the other.

Im a newbe when it comes to modying them. Cars is a different story.

Tritium night sights work best in low light since fiber optics need light.

denn1911
09-18-12, 09:50
I'm cross eye dominant and have always set up my handguns with a plain black rear sight, such as a 10-8 or Sevigny. I dislike 3 dot sights and only have them on my issued duty pistol (no choice there). I have the Trijicon HD Sights on my M&P45, and they work very well for me. During the daytime, I don't notice the small, non-outlined, rear dots. For precision fire, the front sight is a little big at distance. Closer than 25 yards, I can get on that front sight fast and follow up shots are fast and accurate. In low light, you will notice the smaller rear 2 dots. I'm a fan.

Djstorm100
09-18-12, 10:38
I'm cross eye dominant and have always set up my handguns with a plain black rear sight, such as a 10-8 or Sevigny. I dislike 3 dot sights and only have them on my issued duty pistol (no choice there). I have the Trijicon HD Sights on my M&P45, and they work very well for me. During the daytime, I don't notice the small, non-outlined, rear dots. For precision fire, the front sight is a little big at distance. Closer than 25 yards, I can get on that front sight fast and follow up shots are fast and accurate. In low light, you will notice the smaller rear 2 dots. I'm a fan.

so over all at 25 yd and closer you like the HD sights?

DOCatRU
09-18-12, 11:18
After 1 year of shooting the stock 3-dot sights on a M & P 9c I purchased and installed the Ameriglo SW201:

I dot tritium, orange front. It is my first set of I dots and am pleased with the speed of acquisition and sight alignment at varying light levels. If you prefer plain back and lit front sight, Ameriglo makes the same front with an all black rear sight (Hackathorn).

I've had good results drawing and hitting targets at practical distances. Now I am looking to switch my 1911 and FNP-45 to this system as funds allow.

DOC

denn1911
09-18-12, 11:22
so over all at 25 yd and closer you like the HD sights?

Absolutely. Even over 25 yards, you can make solid hits, but I find the front sight a bit large. Although the majority of my training concentrates on defensive drills, I've used my M&P45 with these HD sights on steel out to 125 yards for fun.

These sights are expensive compared to others, but I feel that they are worth it.

Kokopelli
09-18-12, 12:12
Anybody use the XS "Express" sights? I like the express style blade.. Ron

RCI1911
09-18-12, 12:14
I absolutely love the combination of a 10-8 performance rear sight and an Ameriglo ProGlo front sight. This combination works together perfectly and it is very, very easy to pick up on the ProGlo front sight with its colored outline.

JW5219
09-18-12, 12:52
I absolutely love the combination of a 10-8 performance rear sight and an Ameriglo ProGlo front sight. This combination works together perfectly and it is very, very easy to pick up on the ProGlo front sight with its colored outline.

I just put an Ameriglo Hackathorn orange dot front with a 10-8 .156 rear on my G 17 and like the combination a lot so far.

John W
09-18-12, 12:58
Does anyone have a side shot of the rear ameriglo sight?

Curious if you can you use the rear sights of the ameriglo above for one handed manipulation? ie are they sloped or hard angled?

Can anyone suggest a good rear sight that has a hard angle and is either a black rear, or a small single dot (like the warren figure 8)?

crob1
09-18-12, 19:38
Anybody use the XS "Express" sights? I like the express style blade.. Ron

I have XS Express Big Dot Sights on my M&P 9c. The sights were on it when I bought it. I was a little skeptical about liking them, but I really do. I haven't shot it much yet, but so far, so good.

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=handgun

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-18-12, 20:14
Hackathorns on mine. Good stuff.

mtdawg169
09-18-12, 20:58
I had the HDs on my two M&P's. They work great at shorter distances for quick self defense type shooting, but they suck for accuracy work at longer ranges.

I've gone back to the Heinie Ledge straight eights. If you have issues with front & rear dots, you can always use the plain black Heinie Ledge rear sight with a tritium front.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RCI1911
09-19-12, 08:57
Can anyone suggest a good rear sight that has a hard angle and is either a black rear, or a small single dot (like the warren figure 8)?

The 10-8 Performance rear sights would fit the bill. They are a ledge-style sight with a serrated, black rear. The u-notch is very intuitive.

denn1911
09-19-12, 09:14
The 10-8 Performance rear sights would fit the bill. They are a ledge-style sight with a serrated, black rear. The u-notch is very intuitive.

100% agree. I have plain black 10-8's on my 1911's, and the ledge is very pronounced and robust. They work great for hooking the rear sight to work the action if needed.

RC51_Texas
09-19-12, 23:29
I'd give the Heinie Ledge Straight Eight Night Sights for the M&P a good look.

I have the Straight Eights on all my 1911's and a couple of Glocks. Best sights for me and my cross eye dominance. My 2 cents ...

theblackknight
09-20-12, 03:29

This.

Got them on my production gun. Want to switch on my carry gun now.

sent from mah gun,using my sights