PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a good AR. (few more questions added)

rdvance
02-04-08, 13:38
Im kinda new to this site and hadnt posted much, anyway Im looking for a good AR, I am willing to build or just buy a complete gun, Ive never owned an AR except for my M4 at work. I finally broke down yesterday at the gun show and sold one of 8 aks and a pistol to get some Ar money together. Im looking to spend between 800 and 1000. Id love to have a colt but i know thats outta my price range. Whats brands are good in that price range and which ones should i stay away from? Thanks for all the help.

markm
02-04-08, 14:16
Build one with an LMT upper and such.

markm
02-04-08, 14:16
Build one with an LMT upper and such.

(hint: Call GandRtactical.com and ask if they have a sale price in LMT uppers)

MassMark
02-04-08, 14:22
I'm building one from the ground up on an Anvil Arms receiver. When all is said and done, I'll have:

$185 in the complete receiver, (lower, parts, engraving serial#) (thanks to a group buy)

$525.00 in the M4 upper

$110 Troy BUIS (thanks to a group buy)

$75.00 for the butt stock

$895.00

Not too shabby and I'll have the carbine I want rather than what a manufacturer wants to sell me.....

Dr. Pretorius
02-04-08, 17:29
I would consider buying the upper first since you have the cash on hand. A LMT or CMMG might be in your price range. if you want to spend less cash Armalite has a nice upper and it's only about $480 complete. The reason I say buy the upper first is because the lower is easy to assemble and you can save some money building the lower yourself. You could also take your time and buy parts for the lower slowly as you have the money to buy each part. The most expensive part on the lower will be the receiver and they can be had for $99. Once you have all the parts for your lower, put her together and your done. Building will also teach you a lot about the weapon in the process.

Just a thought. ;)

rdvance
02-04-08, 18:48
Thanks guys, im looking into the places you suggested.

Wolf Spyder
02-04-08, 19:04
I am no expert. However, from what I undersatnd it depends what you want your new rifle to do. Is it going to be a back yard plinker, or a hard use tool?

back yard plinking; any thing will work

Heavy use / Rifle courses; Colt, Noveske, LMT

I found this over on Lightfighter.com However, it was put together by Rob_s with help from some folks over here on M4carbine.net. I am making changes to my rifle because of advise from Pat over at Lightfighter. Hopefully you will view this chart and it will start you on a fact finding mission that will end in a rifle you will be happy with. If either Rob_s or Pat_Rogers would like me to remove this I will do so with out question. I just hope this helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/071120-AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

rob_s
02-04-08, 19:12
I have no problem with you re-posting the chart, but there's a whole thread where it came from with some great information and background on why those features are good.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

rdvance
02-06-08, 12:05
Ok guys i have been doing a little research. I have come down to 3 different options.
Either:
1) LMT M4 upper
2) CMMG middy upper
3) ADS full rifle

from a read up on officer.com i found the guy was saying cmmg was doing the right things now. has any one else confirmed this? i have heard bad things but it was all a few years back. Also i know the LMT uppers are good, but i may be shooting some .223 out of it since thats what my PD supplys and ive noticed a few guys having bad luck with non nato ammo. Also from the way it sounds ADS is an awesome rifle for the money.
Oh and ill be using it for mostly practice and maybe some 3 gun matches. And maybe even to replace my bushy patrol rifle if the dept will sign off on it. So i definatly dont want something that will go TU on me.

rdvance
02-08-08, 00:23
After reading up a little more, i think the cmmg is out of the question.

im now trying to decide between the LMT upper, a Colt upper (a member pm'd me about Thank You), or the ADS rifle. ive also looked at the Bravo Co uppers the description describes that it has all the right stuff, but does any one else have any experience with these?

rdvance
02-09-08, 00:09
Anybody?