PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice on a patrol rifle

xx AG xx
09-18-12, 17:29
Hey all,

I am looking to get an AR to use as a patrol rifle.

I used to have a Colt LE6920 with the LEO/Military markings on it, but I sold it a while back (dumb ass move on my part, I know).

I was also looking at an M&P 15T (since I can get extra mags, a sling and some ammo for what I would be paying for the Colt).

From what I understand, the newer LE6920's do not have the LEO/Military markings, but are they the same exact AR's as the previous version with the markings? Also, I see they offer a LE6920 Magpul edition (or what ever its called), would that be the same as the previous version or would it be the same thing?

I know, a Colt is a Colt, but would I be better off with the M&P and extra's? I am on a budget, so I have to think economically.

What are your thoughts on this?

AG

Dos Cylindros
09-18-12, 17:49
Either one should serve you fine. My recommendation would be to just opt for the Colt as I do consider it to be a more established design which is built to very strict standards. My Dept. issues the M&P in both handgun and patrol rifle and I have yet to see any issues with either in the 7 or so years they have been in service. I would still opt for the Colt though.

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 17:57
Colt all the way.

While it may be more expensive, I firmly believe it is worth the price..

xx AG xx
09-18-12, 18:34
So my next question would be...

Is the LE6920 that they produce now, the same LE6920 they produced before with the rollmarks? No changes other than the newer butt stock from what I can tell?

I dont care if they have the rollmarks or not, I want to make sure that it is still the same AR as they used to produce before.

AG

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 18:38

Is the LE6920 that they produce now, the same LE6920 they produced before with the rollmarks? No changes other than the newer butt stock from what I can tell?

I dont care if they have the rollmarks or not, I want to make sure that it is still the same AR as they used to produce before.

AG

Yes, it is the same carbine.

xx AG xx
09-18-12, 18:52
Awesome..

Thank you for the input.

AG

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 18:58
Awesome..

Thank you for the input.

AG

Good luck on your search for a carbine.

I'd suggest that you look at getting it from G&R Tactical, or DSG Arms.

Uncas47
09-18-12, 19:39
Colt 6920, no assembly required. If Grant has them in stock, you need look no further.

d90king
09-18-12, 19:48
Buy the Colt, a case of ammo and go shooting! Not even close. Buy and move on to training.

samuse
09-18-12, 19:52
A Colt is always solid advice.

My personal favorite thing to do is to buy a new, complete Colt lower and a BCM upper.

Split66
09-18-12, 20:00
Colt 6920 all the way. If you are working a more rural part of the LV a 6720 might be worth looking at. The lighter weight may help out for protracted calls.

BufordTJustice
09-18-12, 20:02
Colt is not the same as S&W.

Colt 6920MP (Magpul Edition).

DSG arms had them for $1055 for the magpul edition. The Colt will last longer and shoot smoother. You'll be pissed as f*ck if you get the S&W and then get to shoot a Colt side-by-side.

danco
09-18-12, 21:05
You can get the entry-level S&W M&P-15 Sport for less than a Colt LE6920, but the real S&W M&P-15's (M&P-15, -15A, -15X, -15T, etc.) will cost the same as the Colt.

Verdict: For a duty weapon, get the Colt LE6920...

bluecanary
09-20-12, 23:12
Dig through Gunbroker.com lots of Colts for sale new in box

RMiller
09-20-12, 23:28
COLT hands down. Either that or a Noveske or Daniel Defense.

kmrtnsn
09-20-12, 23:33
Please define your intended patrol uses. If you are serving warrants and doing entries regularly in an urban environment and live where you can get a tax stamp I recommend something in the 10.5-12.5" range. We're issuing 14.5" and something shorter would be a lot more practical for our typical application. If you are in the great wide open, doing a lot of road or traffic, or in a rural environment longer might serve you better.

vicious_cb
09-21-12, 01:18
I do not consider S&W on the same level as a Colt,BCM,DD or Noveske.

BigLarge
09-21-12, 01:26
Please define your intended patrol uses. If you are serving warrants and doing entries regularly in an urban environment and live where you can get a tax stamp I recommend something in the 10.5-12.5" range. We're issuing 14.5" and something shorter would be a lot more practical for our typical application. If you are in the great wide open, doing a lot of road or traffic, or in a rural environment longer might serve you better.

Exactly. I was issued a HBAR 16" RRA. Extended room clearing was tiresome and cumbersome... so I bought a DD Mk18 SBR (still waiting on the stamp). I cannot reasonably foresee engagements past the useful range of an SBR in typical patrol application.

ST911
09-21-12, 10:14
With the pricing, availability, and quality of best-quality carbines right now like Colt, BCM, et al, there is no reason to consider others.

If buying an S&W M&P rifle right now, I would inspect it carefully, and test fire it thoroughly.

Littlelebowski
09-21-12, 10:17
If the S&W passes an inspection, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

theblackknight
09-21-12, 10:41
I wouldnt pay what colt is asking just to have to change or swap to nontard stock.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

straitR
09-21-12, 14:12
I wouldnt pay what colt is asking just to have to change or swap to nontard stock.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

You're right. Mission statement, known quality, and track record have nothing to do with rifle selection. Definitely chose you're carbine based on what stock it comes with.

Seagunner
09-21-12, 14:15

AG

They changed the rollmarks so there no longer on the banned list in Kalifornia

JC0352
09-21-12, 14:36
Yea, because the Colt is overpriced, and switching to another stock is way too difficult and expensive... :rolleyes:

You're right. Mission statement, known quality, and track record have nothing to do with rifle selection. Definitely chose you're carbine based on what stock it comes with.

I'm glad this place isn't anything like facebook, but where's the "like button" for this post?

jesuvuah
09-21-12, 14:43
I would buy the colt and shoot the crap out of it.

wahoo95
09-21-12, 14:49
Colts are Colts, but I'd go with a complete BCM RECCE like the one MI sells.

theblackknight
09-21-12, 15:21

"mission statement" LOL.

Other selections have just as good known quality and track record. ARtards are so used to swapping things out all the time it's almost like they enjoy paying more just to play big kid lego's.

It's ok, as I hear, brand loyalty can be a strong force to deal with.

boomhower
09-21-12, 15:28
The Colt us the better rifle, but if your like 95% of law enforcement who aren't shooting thousands if rounds a year then you'll be fine. Several of my co-workers and the highway patrol have M&P rifles and they've been absolutely perfect. I've seen the hell some of the HP guys put theirs through. That's as good as any torcher test I've seen online.

Fidalgoman
09-21-12, 17:44
Funny, I bought a LEO model a couple years ago and added the MOE furniture. Now you can get it stock.

straitR
09-21-12, 18:22
"mission statement" LOL.

Other selections have just as good known quality and track record. ARtards are so used to swapping things out all the time it's almost like they enjoy paying more just to play big kid lego's.

It's ok, as I hear, brand loyalty can be a strong force to deal with.

Dude, you're a peach. haha

My bad, how about for "what purpose" you're buying the rifle? Is that laymen enough? There are other manufacturers that have known quality, true enough, and there are some that obviously exceed it, but Colt's track record is second to none with regard to length and rifles in service.

"ARtards"? If you're so above everyone, what do you gain from being here? You're the muppet that said he wouldn't buy a Colt because of the stock.

Honestly, it's hard to believe that you've been here since 2008, really. To be clear, I don't posses a Colt, only common sense, so there goes that witty brand loyalty retort.

ETA actual contribution: To the OP, with a budget in mind, and the current 6920 price, it's your best option for a work gun.