PDA

View Full Version : sound reducing muzzle brake

cthompson36
09-18-12, 18:21
Hey guys, my AR has the stock A2 on it, and I've been looking at other brakes to help reduce the sound. I'm not too worried about recoil or muzzle climb because i just shoot steel and paper. I saw DPMS has a linear compensator, and so does noveske. I'm running a 16" carbine, so I'm not sure those would do much. What brakes work well for noise reduction?

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 18:26
Hey guys, my AR has the stock A2 on it, and I've been looking at other brakes to help reduce the sound. I'm not too worried about recoil or muzzle climb because i just shoot steel and paper. I saw DPMS has a linear compensator, and so does noveske. I'm running a 16" carbine, so I'm not sure those would do much. What brakes work well for noise reduction?

Oh, you mean that you want a suppressor?

If a muzzle device reduces the Db levels, it is a suppressor...

fixit69
09-18-12, 18:26
Brakes don't reduce sound. And they are for recoil and muzzle flip.

cthompson36
09-18-12, 18:27
no, but a the linear compensators say they reduce the sound the shooter hears, it redirects it i guess. I dont want to do a surpressor

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5594/Product/Levang-Linear-Compensator it says it redirects the noise, and i was wondering if there were others that did that and if they were any good

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 18:33
no, but a the linear compensators say they reduce the sound the shooter hears, it redirects it i guess. I dont want to do a surpressor

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5594/Product/Levang-Linear-Compensator it says it redirects the noise, and i was wondering if there were others that did that and if they were any good

I have used a Levang (I'm glad I didn't buy it, and I'm glad it isn't on my carbine,) or something so similar I can't tell the difference from looking at it...

Honestly, wear earpro, or get a can. Simple as that.

I personally don't find enough benefit from that thing to be worth the outlay of $35. I'd rather put that $35 towards good earpro...

fixit69
09-18-12, 18:34
Even with the linear compensator, it will ring your bell with its redirection. I use them on an ar when I feel like watching the the muzzle not move. Good for that. Not for sound reduction.

Blak1508
09-18-12, 19:10
How about the vortex? I've heard it's the best cage you can get for flash ? Anyone have experience with it?

BH321
09-18-12, 19:45
Hey guys, my AR has the stock A2 on it, and I've been looking at other brakes to help reduce the sound. I'm not too worried about recoil or muzzle climb because i just shoot steel and paper. I saw DPMS has a linear compensator, and so does noveske. I'm running a 16" carbine, so I'm not sure those would do much. What brakes work well for noise reduction?If it reduces sound then it will be considered a suppressor and as such it becomes a case of "Hello tax stamp!". If you want an example of a brake/flash suppressor, look at the XM177's muzzle device. You can however redirect the noise and Noveske's KX3 Flash Suppressor which redirects the muzzle blast away from the shooter.

How about the vortex? I've heard it's the best cage you can get for flash ? Anyone have experience with it?The OP appears to be wanting a compensator, not a flash suppressor which you seem to be recommending and the Vortex does absolutely nothing to effect noise.

Blak1508
09-18-12, 19:55
He also said he does not want a supressor, and your saying that he is not looking for a flash suppressor, to which your recommending one. I understand it you can redirect the noise with it and all but I've also heard that the vortex does the same, I do not have experience with either of them though that's why I asked. It was more of an idea then a reccomendation, but thanks for clearing it up that it will not work for what he is looking for . I do know that the vortex shows almost no flash if any..again though not what the OP is looking for

cthompson36
09-18-12, 20:33
if theres no great option for sound reduction, whats a good brake to reduce recoil?

Merle
09-18-12, 20:39
Sound reduction and muzzle brake don't belong in the same sentence. You'll make the people at the range shooting next to you really happy and by happy I mean annoyed.

mallowpufft
09-18-12, 20:48
if theres no great option for sound reduction, whats a good brake to reduce recoil?

An A5 setup.
That with a standard rifle spring and an A5 buffer (regular weight) allows me to shoot at 6x (100yd range) with my scope and see the target the whole time . Very little muzzle rise and the recoil impulse goes straight back. Just using an A2 birdcage flash hider.
Plus it won't piss off the person shooting next to you.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

danco
09-18-12, 20:59
Sound reduction and muzzle brake don't belong in the same sentence. You'll make the people at the range shooting next to you really happy and by happy I mean annoyed.

Exactly. Muzzle brakes simply piss off the people next to you at the range.

A muzzle brake on an 5.56 rifle doesn't even reduce recoil, since 5.56 has no recoil...(if you think it does, you need to man up. Sheesh! :D)

However, 5.56 *is* loud, which is why quite a few folks here have jumped through the NFA hoops and invested in suppressors...

cthompson36
09-18-12, 21:04
okay, maybe recoil wasnt the right word. If i can get it to jump less after shots, that would be nice too. I'm not even 18 yet, and theres not a chance in hell my dad would do a surpressor, and I dont want to pay for it. I shoot on our land so I dont care about pissing off people around me since there really arent people around me.

fixit69
09-18-12, 21:11
Then shoot some more.

I'm kidding. But sometimes people buy a brake and let it become become a crutch. Refine your technique on the weapon you have before you, as is, before you invest in a brake or other gadgets.

Merle
09-18-12, 21:33
The PWS FSC556 should fit the bill if you want a little muzzle flip reduction. Beware though that it is loud to stand next to but if that isn't an issue for you than I'd say go for it.

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 22:01
okay, maybe recoil wasnt the right word. If i can get it to jump less after shots, that would be nice too. I'm not even 18 yet, and theres not a chance in hell my dad would do a surpressor, and I dont want to pay for it. I shoot on our land so I dont care about pissing off people around me since there really arent people around me.

Learn to control the weapon, without a gadget (compensator.)

If you simply cannot control the weapon with the stock A2 birdcage, you are doing something wrong.

Casull
09-18-12, 22:17
Muzzle devices work by redirecting gasses (and therefore sound) according to their purpose. Sure, there are some devices made to reduce recoil are made to direct gasses (and sound) forward much like the Triad by PWS is said to do. (I've not witnessed it in use in real life.)

Basically if you want a break, but want the capability of reducing sound... you can just buy a break that you can attach a can to. It'll cost you, though.

lifebreath
09-18-12, 22:36
Learn to control the weapon, without a gadget (compensator.)

If you simply cannot control the weapon with the stock A2 birdcage, you are doing something wrong.

+1. This. A good athletic, balanced stance, properly shouldered weapon and driving the gun will do the trick.

Hydguy
09-19-12, 00:27
If you have uncontrollable muzzle rise with a standard A2 flash hider, you are doing it wrong.

The A2 is designed to vent upward, which pushes the barrel down, while being closed off on the bottom to reduce dust kick up when in a prone position. It also is fairly effective at reducing the flash.

The Vortex, Phantom (and some others) are better flash reducers, (and a few pretty much eliminate noticeable flash), but the trade off is a much bigger cloud of dust when shooting prone, and in some cases, more muzzle movement.

Brakes on the other hand are designed to port pressure equally out of the ports to try and reduce muzzle rise (usually by porting the pressure and report to left and right) , and in doing so, create a much louder report, and in some cases, huge flash signatures (Fire Pig isn't just a catchy name) and will kick up quite a bit of dust when shooting prone.

And the flash and dust signature are two things you WANT to reduce in a combat situation, both for concealment, and to keep your FOV as clear as possible.

Surf
09-19-12, 01:11
First off, he isn't going into combat with this weapon, just a young fella shooting stuff on the back 40. Second, If a shooter cannot gain any benefit from a muzzle brake even on a light recoiling rifle such as the .223 / 5.56 then they are probably not running their weapon at its ragged edge of performance. Where perhaps extreme precision with extreme speed, especially when distances increase or perhaps when shooting on the move is required. Or perhaps their shooting style or shooting restrictions do not allow for this...Or they are a true freak of nature. I will say that the top shooters in the world with this weapon platform will tell you that a muzzle brake will definitely give an advantage when tenths or hundredths of seconds are on the line, or when needing to make rapid hits while at distance or while moving. And no this does not just apply to competition. Just depends on what your individual needs are. But to say it does not give an advantage in controlling recoil / muzzle rise is ignorance.

For the OP, in general you have

- A flash hider and its primary job is to reduce the muzzle flash signature. Reducing noise and muzzle climb or rearward recoil is not the primary goal.

- Muzzle Brake's primary function is to reduce recoil and often muzzle rise at the same time. For the most part the direction and way in which the gases are vented will increase noise, blast disturbance and flash.

- Linear Devices like the Noveske are generally to direct blast and noise forward but might serve as an aid on the weapons function in certain cases. Many find the use of say a Noveske flaming pig on an SBR to be beneficial especially in close confines of other shooters to direct blast forward. Their job is not for compensation or flash. Some say the recoil / muzzle rise is lessened but I tend to think that is purely because their is less disturbance felt by the shooter from the blast and increased muzzle weight might be the factor.

- Sound Suppressors are the best all around. Great for reducing sound, blast disturbance, flash, recoil, muzzle rise. The trade off might be increased barrel or overall weapon length and muzzle end weight. Also NFA issues.

wahoo95
09-19-12, 07:17
OP, both the Levang and Kies are good linear comps which direct sound/blast forward and fit the needs you outlined. Both are also fairly inexpensive.

wahoo95
09-19-12, 07:45
Duplicate post

markm
09-19-12, 09:11
Exactly. Muzzle brakes simply piss off the people next to you at the range.

Which is so FUN! :cool:

Nothing like lighting up the crowd with a 300 Win Mag with an AAC brake!