PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Apathy?

crusader377
09-19-12, 08:41
First off, I enjoy sharing ideas with others on the GD forum. Although many of us may have differences in opinion, I think most of us would agree that the United States has alot of challenges that we have to face if we are going to remain a great nation.

That said, I think perhaps the biggest hurdle that as a nation we face is the apathy of a least 90% of the population. I'm a combat veteran in my mid 30s and generally run in a well educated, professional social circles and it still blows my mind on the complete cluelessness of most people about the multitude of issues facing this country. Alot of times if you talk about any serious issue to someone other than a like minded friends or family members, people look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead. Most people my age and younger are either more focused on sports, reality tv, boasting their egos on facebook, etc...

My question is how does one reach apathetic people and get them interested and wanting to seek knowledge about the challenges that we face? Then once they gain the knowledge, how to encourage people to become more involved?

VooDoo6Actual
09-19-12, 10:05
Copy you Lima Charlie.

One at a time mentor/lead/educate/show/demonstrate/point them to information as best you can down/towards the path. Careful not to prostelytize them. Give them the data or direct them to it.

Unfortunately, people interpret/process data differently. Look at the enormity of issues here on GD even though it's a pro-gun & historically a pro constitution forum. When people start to get uncomfortable w/ their distractions of Pro Sports/TV/Cabled media/traveling/food prices/gas prices/economic woes finally come to the epiphany of the deceptions/lies/ real agenda it will get some more traction imo.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/photo_zpsecbb8db7.jpg

Voodoo_Man
09-19-12, 11:02
It is extremely difficult to change how a person thinks just by talking to them.

Showing them may be the best way, either by some sort of video or if you have an area which re-enforces your point, that may be the best way.

Hardship is the best motivator of people. It turns their world upside down and makes them reassess their fundamentals. Sadly, the best hardships (are also the worst, robbery, being attacked unprovoked, etc) are those which happen on their own.

SteyrAUG
09-19-12, 12:42
That said, I think perhaps the biggest hurdle that as a nation we face is the apathy of a least 90% of the population.

Apathy implies they understand the actually problems and are simply indifferent. I'd say the actual problem is 70% haven't got the first clue as to what the problems really are and more than half of them are promoting agendas to solve problems that don't even really exist or simply aren't even important enough to be on the radar.

ffhounddog
09-19-12, 12:58
I understand where you are coming from. I have no words just I have no idea why sports has to be the big topic. There are more important things going on and why can't I get anyone to do a Pickup football game in the park?

QuietShootr
09-19-12, 13:02
aaah....who gives a shit?

:D

nimdabew
09-19-12, 15:37
Bread and circuses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses)

"Bread and Circuses" (or bread and games) (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through diversion, distraction, and/or the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace, as an offered "palliative." Juvenal decried it as a simplistic motivation of common people. The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the common man (l'homme moyen sensuel).