PDA

View Full Version : 11” or 13.5” NSR for 14.5" Carbine

Korgs130
09-19-12, 09:36
I’m getting ready to order my second AR and am looking for in put on the pros and cons of the 11” NSR vs the 13.5”. I’m going with a Noveske 14.5” barrel and it will be for training, HD and some varmint shooting. Aside from the BUS and optic the only thing I will be adding is a VTAV L4 Mini light.

I initially thought the 13.5” would be the way to go as more rail tends to be better, but with my support arm completely straight I can only reach 11” down the barrel max. That makes me think that the 11” would be just right and save a tiny bit of weight. Any thoughts?

Meth0d
09-19-12, 10:05
The longer rail would allow your light to be further down the barrel at 12 o'clock, as well as giving you a larger sight radius.

TehLlama
09-19-12, 10:50
I'd go longer, even if you're not using the length a whole lot. I do run an 11" handguard on my wife's 14.5", but only because she could get away with a 9". You'll want the added length when you've got BUIS as well as a mount for your L4 light on there, since it gives you more options. Go 13.5"

TMS951
09-19-12, 10:55
11" Pro: Lighter Con: Shorter
13.5" Pro: longer Con: Heavier

Do you have a need or use for the longer rail? If not why add something to your rifle you have no use for?

bp7178
09-19-12, 11:06
A longer sight radius isn't always the best thing. Most iron sights are pretty corase in their adjustments, and have pretty thick posts. The exception to the thick post would be the KAC series of sights. That being said, I wouldn't worry about the very very slight extension of the sight radius when using a coarse set of iron sights, that shouldn't be the priority.

I find that doing the super extended support arm is much harder when wearing body armor, if that is at all a concern for you.

I initially thought the 13.5” would be the way to go as more rail tends to be better, but with my support arm completely straight I can only reach 11” down the barrel max. That makes me think that the 11” would be just right and save a tiny bit of weight.

I don't think more rail is better just because. If you have an articulated reason for it being longer, then sure. It sounds like if you can only reach 11" down the barrel max, you just answered your question.

TACAV
09-19-12, 11:07
The NSR rails are incredibly light. I love my 13.5" rail.

I would just go for the 13.5". I think the added benefits for mounting a light farther forward and the increased iron sight radius are pretty good PROs.

Not to mention that if you are the type that runs folded iron sights in the down position when using your optic and your support hand is already at the end of the 11" rail, with the 13.5" you have that much more space for your support hand that is not running into either the folded front sight or the light/mount.

And the 13.5" rail is only 1.2 ounces more than the 11" rail.

Stickman
09-19-12, 17:48
A longer sight radius isn't always the best thing.

Agreed, but no where does it say you need to put your BUIS all the way at the end. Typically I leave enough space for a light to be mounted at the end, even if I am not using a light most of the time on that particular URG.

Korgs130
09-21-12, 11:28
Thanks for all of the good input. It does seem that the 13.5" NSR gives me more flexibility as far as support hand, sight and light placement for not much more weight.

Dsully
09-21-12, 13:24
I went 13.5" on mine
http://walkingheavy.com/arbuild/my2.jpg

Korgs130
09-21-12, 13:45
I went 13.5" on mine
http://walkingheavy.com/arbuild/my2.jpg

Nice. How do you like it?

Dsully
09-21-12, 15:58
Nice. How do you like it?

It very nice in the hand. Light weight too. I'm glad I went with the 13.5" rather then smaller. Fits the 14.5" barrel perfect.