PDA

View Full Version : Export of 5.56 chambered ar's? Please help..

2Sharp
09-19-12, 16:18
I have something that I hope someone can help me with..

RUMINT here in Sweden is that rifles chambered in 5.56 can now be exported from the U.S.
At first magazines ordered from Brownells came through and after asking them what's up they confirmed that "high capacity" magazines from certain manufacturers was now legal to export as the U.S State Dept. have removed these from their SME list.

A few other importers have now been cleared to receive ar's chambered inn 5.56 rather then .223 or .223 Wylde.

Here's the kicker, no-one can find any printed documents about this, I've e-mailed the state dept. but I haven't heard anything back from them.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm looking into buying a Colt ar but I'd want it to be chambered in 5.56 rather then anything else. But it is not easy to ask for an importer to get it for me as they are of the impression that it is not allowed for export.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction, provide me with the proper documents or whatever... any help is greatly apppreciated :)

Sorry if this post is rather vague...

Just to be clear, I'm not asking about anything realating to illegal export of firearms, I'm interested only in information in full compliance of ITAR and what not legal issues.

Iraqgunz
09-19-12, 18:38
You are wasting your time if you're trying to contact the State Department. They are fulll of idiots and have no knowledge of what you're probably talking about. People you need to talk to you are at the DDTC. If you google that you should come up with the answer and then they will have a Contact Us link.

45C
09-19-12, 19:04

NickB
09-19-12, 19:16
You are wasting your time if you're trying to contact the State Department. They are fulll of idiots and have no knowledge of what you're probably talking about. People you need to talk to you are at the DDTC. If you google that you should come up with the answer and then they will have a Contact Us link.

This. Send an email to the DDTC Response Team with your specific question and they will give you an answer based on the current policy. Export policy changes all the time with this stuff, and there isn't any real method to the madness, nor do they actually publish many (most?) of the changes. For example, it is my understanding that collapsible stocks and flash hiders can now be exported to civilian end users. An export license is still required, but it will now be approved, whereas a year ago the license application would be denied. Nothing was published on this to my knowledge, but the policy just suddenly changed. :confused:

seb5
09-19-12, 20:34
Another option would be to buy what you want and get a reamer from Michigan guns and make it a 5.56 if you cannot buy the Colt.

2Sharp
09-20-12, 00:12
Ok, good leads. I'll try them, thank you!

Reaming and getting Wylde chambers have been the most common solutions here.

Again, thank you!

500grains
09-20-12, 12:17
RUMINT here in Sweden is that rifles chambered in 5.56 can now be exported from the U.S.

Daniel Defense has its own export department and has successfully and lawfully exported AR15s to Sweden for Norma. I suspect they can do the same for you.

2Sharp
09-20-12, 12:52
Daniel Defense has its own export department and has successfully and lawfully exported AR15s to Sweden for Norma. I suspect they can do the same for you.
In 5.56? I'll look into it, thank you!

2Sharp
09-20-12, 13:20
Got a super-quick response from them that indeed the policy have changed.

Thank you! I'm now a bit closer to an AR in 5.56... :)

This. Send an email to the DDTC Response Team with your specific question and they will give you an answer based on the current policy. Export policy changes all the time with this stuff, and there isn't any real method to the madness, nor do they actually publish many (most?) of the changes. For example, it is my understanding that collapsible stocks and flash hiders can now be exported to civilian end users. An export license is still required, but it will now be approved, whereas a year ago the license application would be denied. Nothing was published on this to my knowledge, but the policy just suddenly changed. :confused:

montrala
09-24-12, 09:30
For example, it is my understanding that collapsible stocks and flash hiders can now be exported to civilian end users. An export license is still required, but it will now be approved, whereas a year ago the license application would be denied. Nothing was published on this to my knowledge, but the policy just suddenly changed. :confused:

Does it mean that I have chance to get this KAC SR15 I always wanted? Few years ago I did not get export license for hydraulic carbine buffer (please do not rub salt in this wound, I was young and stupid) because it said "collapsible buttstock AR-Restor" on invoice and get response "no license on collapsible buttstocks" :confused: