PDA

View Full Version : would an LMT Defender 2000 be a good 1st AR?

brickboy240
09-19-12, 16:29
Would a VERY lightly used LMT Defender 2000 be a good first AR versus buying a brand new Colt 6920?

I found one for sale that has been very lightly shot, has Magpul MOE furniture and a Troy rear sight...no other optics.

Can be had for 250-300 less than the new Colt 6920.

Would this be a decent option or should I just go for the new Colt 6920 like I was originally going to do?

Thought I'd ask because this sure looks like a decent deal on a nice first AR...and the savings over the new Colt means I can put an optic on it sooner.

thanks,

brickboy240

kyrin88
09-19-12, 16:42
I probably speak for most when I say just get the LMT. They are the same in terms of quality..Period!!!!! There is so much information on this site that will guide you. Just use the search function. Lets not let this turn into a colt vs lmt:suicide2:

brickboy240
09-19-12, 16:47
Well I was really all set to buy the brand new Colt 6920...mostly due to what I have read here. I am going to skip the Stags, Bushies and others and just go for the original article for my first AR.

Then...along came this deal and it leaves 250-300 bucks from the Colt purchase towards an optic.

I was going to put an Aimpoint Micro on the 6920 but having the extra money left over means I get the sight that much sooner.

The guy that owns the LMT bought it maybe a year ago and I swear, he maybe has 6-10 boxes of 223 run through the gun and it has sat in a case under his bed for the rest of it's life.

I don't want a Colt vs LMT debate either but honestly I don't know much about LMT. The consensus here has usually been "go with a Colt 6920 and call it good" and I an on board with that but this rifle sure looks like a quality piece that has similar features.

-brickboy240

40Arpent
09-19-12, 16:49
LMT is a very well-respected brand here. Go for it.

kyrin88
09-19-12, 17:25
The consensus here has usually been "go with a Colt 6920 and call it good"

-brickboy240

there isn't any compromise between the two brands. That is usually the consensus, but consider that you will be saving $300 bucks that can go towards ammo or an optic. Personally, I would buy ammo and practice with irons before spending money on a optic.

Stickman
09-19-12, 17:45
If you can get a LMT defender in the $750 range, you would be crazy not to do it. Assuming of course the entire weapon is actually LMT, and not some no name or junk upper.

Kokopelli
09-19-12, 17:53
Yea.. Look carefully and then pounce.. There's no "only one AR" rule anyhow.. 8) Ron

lifebreath
09-19-12, 18:01
Well I was really all set to buy the brand new Colt 6920...mostly due to what I have read here. I am going to skip the Stags, Bushies and others and just go for the original article for my first AR.

Then...along came this deal and it leaves 250-300 bucks from the Colt purchase towards an optic.

I was going to put an Aimpoint Micro on the 6920 but having the extra money left over means I get the sight that much sooner.

The guy that owns the LMT bought it maybe a year ago and I swear, he maybe has 6-10 boxes of 223 run through the gun and it has sat in a case under his bed for the rest of it's life.

I don't want a Colt vs LMT debate either but honestly I don't know much about LMT. The consensus here has usually been "go with a Colt 6920 and call it good" and I an on board with that but this rifle sure looks like a quality piece that has similar features.

-brickboy240

If you have financial constraints, and getting the LMT would afford you the ability to get the Aimpoint, go for the LMT. I'd have no qualms about the LMT as being essentially equivalent to the Colt.

fdxpilot
09-19-12, 19:58
While I have several Colts, my first AR was an LMT. No compromise in quality with a gently used LMT. As mentioned, this will give you a few more bucks to put towards ammo, training, or an optic.

d90king
09-19-12, 20:23
No brainer! Buy the LMT and a case of ammo, then proceed directly to training.

seb5
09-19-12, 20:31
No hard decision here. To my mind BCM, Colt, DD, and LMT are all good to go. You need to grab it, shoot a bunch and be happy before someone else grabs it up.

fixit69
09-19-12, 20:48
What everybody else just said. it's a great weapon and you shouldn't have any problems. Look very closely, and get it.

lethal dose
09-19-12, 20:56
Can you get pics? There's easy ways to make sure it's LMT.

ChamberedGlock
09-19-12, 21:36
I LOVE my LMT Defender 2000! Sadly, I have only put about 70 rounds thru it so far. I did tons of research before buying and like most, came to the conclusion that you sacrifice nothing with LMT. I wish I had time to shoot it more! Family life is draining all of my free time. I sank $3000 into the gun, optic and whatnot too!:shout:

RC51_Texas
09-19-12, 23:24
OP - I'm in Houston as well and have an LMT Defender if you'd like to shoot it, just let me know.

Mine IS NOT for sale - its a Factory SBR, but I do have a 16" barrel for it as well as the 12". I'd even let you shoot it suppressed.

PM me if your interested. Good luck!

uncle money bags
09-20-12, 01:14
I owned an LMT Defender 2000 for awhile. I will say hands down the smoothest and tightest with the best stock trigger right out of the box i have ever owned. It didnt need a thing done to it except swapping out the pistol grip to be a damn near perfect ar.

VIP3R 237
09-20-12, 01:27
LMT makes amazing stuff, it's up there with the top tier brands. but if you don't want it let me know so I can take advantage of the deal. :D

rjacobs
09-20-12, 08:33
I say inspect it to make sure its all 100% LMT just as Stickman said. My upper has LMT on the left side, but I dont know when they started doing that and of course the forge mark. You could also check the roll mark on the barrel, but I cant tell you off the top of my head what LMT's is, but I am sure somebody can post a picture(I am not at home otherwise I would pull my handguards off and snap a picture). Last would be the BCG, which again, I am sure somebody can point you in to the area of what to check for. I know my LMT bolt carrier has a fairly rough finish compared to some of my other(daniel defense and AAC) bolt carriers. If it is 100% LMT, drive on.

eesmith4
09-20-12, 11:46
You'll also be saving even more money than you think, once you consider you won't be paying tax on the private party sale. Probably 400+ bucks versus the new Colt, easily enough to cover the cost of an Aimpoint PRO.

brickboy240
09-20-12, 12:19
I have looked the rifle over once before. It is indeed a complete LMT Defender 2000. Says LMT on the upper. I would NOT pay 850 bucks for a Frankenstein AR built on an LMT lower...no thank you.

Thanks for the responses. I figured this was comparable to the 6920 in overall quality.

However (gnashes teeth...) my friend is now "not sure" if he wants to sell the damn thing! He is one of those goofy people that makes tons of money and buys all sorts of high end stuff and rarely uses it. Also one of those types that TALKS about buying and selling things but is iffy on actually doing so.

I am going to "work on him" for a while but if he gives me the run around much longer....I am going back to plan one and that is a brand new Colt 6920 Magpul edition.

Thanks again for the help....I only want to buy ONE AR and want a quality piece that I can build on and keep forever.

-brickboy240

ASH556
09-20-12, 12:23
Go wave 8 $100 bills in his face. I bet he'll let you have it then:D

Tzook
09-20-12, 12:30
Go wave 8 $100 bills in his face. I bet he'll let you have it then:D

Seriously. Get it!! Even if you have to pry it from his hands!!

TMS951
09-20-12, 15:12
Buy it!

dohc97
09-21-12, 16:33
My very first rifle(not just AR), is an LMT I bought last June. Like you, I don't want to buy a second AR, so I got the best I can afford. It is what everybody in here is saying. Get it before somebody does.

Here's mine with an Aimpoint PRO.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/dohc97/My%20handguns/JUN_5061.jpg

straitR
09-21-12, 18:47
Just as others have said, verify the authenticity and condition, then purchase with confidence. There's nothing to be concerned about when purchasing LMT products.

g5m
09-21-12, 23:39
As everybody has said-- the LMT is fine.

Nightvisionary
09-22-12, 01:52
LMT carbines are not without issues, especially if it has a MIM gas key. It's used so there is no way of telling why the previous owner sold it. If you do a little searching here and at ARF you will find some reported issues.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=110765

I would just spend the extra cash for the Colt. To me it would be worth having piece of mind, a brand new Colt carbine, and a non-MIM gas key.

Rifleman_04
09-22-12, 03:32
The gas key is a low stress component. Being MIM isn't an issue.

krypto
09-22-12, 07:01
Why is it that "MIM" makes firearm owners cringe when not a single car owner thinks twice about their piston rods?

eperk
10-07-12, 20:33
Grab the LMT and don't look back. The price is right. Don't let anyone try to tell you that LMT isn't top tier.
Check out the LMT vs. Colt torture test. It's enightening.
Colts aren't without issues either. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rifle-shotgun-discussion/25545-colt-ar-15-feed-ejection-issues.html. http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?12392-Colt-AR-15-Problems
You look hard enugh you can find problems with any brand. Some are much more reliable than others.
Krypto, you are correct. Piston rods endure a LOT more stress than gas keys.

Magic_Salad0892
10-08-12, 01:16
Confirm it's a true LMT. Then buy. Always be wary of the used market.

LIL-COMMANDO
10-10-12, 03:09
I own Colts and had an LMT complete rifle but sold it. I want another one cause they are great shooters but only sold to a friend who really wanted it.

I have a complete extra LMT lower and BCG so I plan on buying the upper now. As for issues on the MIM carrier key it does not seem to exist. I have not seen any documented proof of this item failing.

As for reading about failures with Colt, LMT or any other rifle you need to know we only get part of the story. Shooting these rifles with good magazines, quality ammo and properly lube helps but there are people who end up inducing failures on their own.

Hey it happens to the best of the quality rifles as it happened to me. Its a Colt 6920 with only 5K rounds through her. Colt did send me a new complete BCG for free.
http://i.imgur.com/O5sat.jpg

jesuvuah
10-10-12, 06:13
I would definately get the LMT. I would take an LMT with optic(or ammo) over a colt without any day.