PDA

View Full Version : Torque Settings of Pieces/Parts

davidjinks
09-20-12, 07:59
This is not about what torque should be on the barrel nut or RE.

This is about: Do the pieces/parts, that we put on our rails (I.E. BUIS, light mounts, lasers, etc...) have an assigned torque setting?

If they do, does it differ between manufacturers, parts and places mounted?

I always hear people say; "Just tighten it down finger tight, you'll be good". Well everyone's tightness is different across the board. Is there a proper setting that should be followed in regards to properly mounting items on rails so they stay put as they should?

markm
09-20-12, 08:17
I've never had a gizmo that came with a written torque value that I can remember.

I just tighten down real snug with the small allen wrench that (for example) comes with a set of scope rings.

You could buy that scope install torque driver and just hit everything at 30-40 and be fine.

C4IGrant
09-20-12, 09:11
This is not about what torque should be on the barrel nut or RE.

This is about: Do the pieces/parts, that we put on our rails (I.E. BUIS, light mounts, lasers, etc...) have an assigned torque setting?

If they do, does it differ between manufacturers, parts and places mounted?

I always hear people say; "Just tighten it down finger tight, you'll be good". Well everyone's tightness is different across the board. Is there a proper setting that should be followed in regards to properly mounting items on rails so they stay put as they should?

Many rail manufacturers do assign torque value to things. Other things are simply common sense I think.

The size of the screw and the value of what it is holding determines the torque value I use and the type of Loctite. Having a fantastic set of German inch and pound torque wrenches, I go OCD on all screws and always tighten equally (same pressure across the board). This is of course overkill for many things, but is how I roll.

C4

Krusty783
09-20-12, 10:17
Many rail manufacturers do assign torque value to things. Other things are simply common sense I think.

The size of the screw and the value of what it is holding determines the torque value I use and the type of Loctite. Having a fantastic set of German inch and pound torque wrenches, I go OCD on all screws and always tighten equally (same pressure across the board). This is of course overkill for many things, but is how I roll.

C4

Yes, that is a little overkill (not that its a bad thing.:D) I haven't seen a torque spec on many rail-mount accessories, but I don't use many either, so... Unless you plan on mounting a battering ram for room entry, or a bayonet or something a little blue loctite and tighten with a wrench/hex key(aka allen wrench) is probably enough.

davidjinks
09-21-12, 12:18
And that's the thing, I've never had any pieces or parts that are screw or bolt on come with a torque setting/requirement. Sans my Larue scope mounts.

You would think that there would be in order for the piece/part to be properly installed and set. At least that's my thinking anyway.

I've got the fat wrench. It's pretty good for what i need it for. I've been going through and hitting all screws at 35 in. pounds. I never liked the Loctite thing when it comes to rail mounted items.

I've never had a gizmo that came with a written torque value that I can remember.

I just tighten down real snug with the small allen wrench that (for example) comes with a set of scope rings.

You could buy that scope install torque driver and just hit everything at 30-40 and be fine.

devinsdad
09-21-12, 13:21
Tight and a quarter (turn that is).