PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get a Remmy 700 in .308...which model?

Djstorm100
09-21-12, 06:31
Hey guys I'm looking to get a Remington 700 in .308 to keep different calibers I have low. What I'm wondering is which is the best model to START out with? I'll be building it as I go (different stocks, glass, trigger, etc etc) Dunno if I'll use a muzzle break/flash hider (threaded barrel) Looking to build a persicion rifle, I'm not talking balls to the wall where I'm sinkings 6+ grand in to it. I know for scope I'll be spending 1g (leupold or nightforce variable 24-32 max ish)

nineteenkilo
09-21-12, 10:50
SPS 700

For the money - it is just darn difficult to beat.

B Cart
09-21-12, 10:54
I have the PSS and I love it. Has a lot of great features right out of the gate, and is stupid accurate, but it's a little harder to find and a little more expensive.

For starting, the SPS is a fantastic option.

Iowa Don
01-01-13, 23:29
The SPS is pretty good. I'll concede that. But something I learned shooting compettion HP is that the Savage heavy barrel is extremely hard to beat at half the price. Even the gun rags extol their virtues, and Savage is far from their biggest advertisers. Just a thought before you spend your money.

snowdog650
01-03-13, 01:03
Step up to at least the SPS Varmint with the heavy barrel if you are going precision.

Personally, I think the best bang for your buck in the Model 700 line is the 5R Milspec model. $1100 and you are good to go.

Also ... you know it will be difficult to slide into a Nightforce for a grand, right?

dstocum
01-03-13, 12:42
Edit: Ugh, didn't see the OP's post date. Probably too late for this advice to matter.

This post is about setting up a precision 308 rifle that will be used in all conditions from 300-1000m, on unknown distance targets. If you just want to shoot small groups at targets a known distance far away at the range on a cool, sunny day, you can disregard practically everything I say.

Dude, you don't need a 24x or 32x max variable unless you're planning on trying to shoot ground squirrels at 400m or something.

Two issues here: what magnification you should be using, and whether or not it should be variable.

Magnification: for a simple 308 Winchester precision rifle, you really don't need more than about 12x mag at the top end. I prefer 10x. It gives adequate field of view at 300m, and plenty of mag at 800-1000m. Higher magnification will limit you in low light shooting, and amplify mirage among other things. More magnification is not necessarily better.

Variable power: unless you're going to be shooting multiple targets under time pressure at relatively close range (inside 400m, say) you'll have little use for the low end magnification. Even with a FFP scope, the ranging reticle is pretty useless at low mag (because it's miniscule), so you'll end up doing all your ranging in high mag. Also, without going into a lot of detail about it, using a single optic from 0-1000m is not simple.

I do not recommend a non-FFP variable scope if you intend to range with it, especially at your budget. For $1k, you won't really know that your ranging reticle is accurate at max mag... how would you like to hunt for the 9.7x magnification where your reticle is accurate? I could list a whole bunch of worries, but what it comes down to is at long range, your bullet drops really fast so ranging needs to be accurate, and adding another potential error source in your ranging means your odds of making a hit will drop. Why make things hard for yourself?

If you're just starting, just buy a Rem 700 5R, a good 10x fixed mil/mil scope (SWFA 10x42 HD for example), a 20 MOA base, good rings, a bipod, a shooting sling, and a rear bag (a sock full of corn kernels works fine). Oh, and quality cleaning stuff so you don't bugger up your crown or bore. <$2500 for the lot, plus ammo.

Don't change anything until you shoot it for a while, build some skill, and gain the experience to make good decisions about your gear.

Vic303
01-03-13, 17:29
Rem LTR
Rem 700VS if you can find one...
depends on how much barrel you want...