PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17?

tfltackdriver
09-21-12, 08:20
You know, I hate to buy into the whole internet tail-chasing thing about "my glock doesn't eject into a nice pile 2 feet away at 4 'o' clock" but darned if I haven't been totally put off of the idea of buying a new Glock 17 after reading the last third of the ejector/extractor thread here.

I had also been under the impression that while the newer gen3s had some problems, they were mostly gtg. What's the verdict these days?

Michael2007
09-21-12, 08:27
My gen 4 19 (FDE) ejects identical to my Gen 3 17 duty issued so probably 3-4 years old. I'd say GTG from personal experience.

markm
09-21-12, 08:35
What's the scoop on this ejector problem? Mine is ALL OVER the place and I've even had a malf or two.

To have a malf on a 9mm glock is pretty alarming, Boys.

sammage
09-21-12, 08:43
Here's an extended problem thread on it: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92133

And then a good explanation from Randy Lee at Apex: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92447

tfltackdriver
09-21-12, 08:44
What's the scoop on this ejector problem? Mine is ALL OVER the place and I've even had a malf or two.

You're going to have to read the thread at the top of the handguns page. The gist is, Glock's been chasing it's tail on reliability issues -- feeding and ejecting/extracting. First it was the recoil spring assembly, then it was the extractor, then it was the ejector, now it's the extractor again. I read most of the first third of the thread, the whole last third and it seems like Glock has released about 64,000 versions of all three parts in an attempt to fix the problem.

Which SUCKS. The idea of having to slog around the state to find a pre-08 Gen 3 Glock 17 does not make me happy. I strongly prefer the no-strap Gen 4 G17.

markm
09-21-12, 09:45
Wow. I had an E series frame G27 too. It seems I know how to pick a glock. :rolleyes:

TMS951
09-21-12, 09:46
I have a new Gen.3 19, the ejection was ****ed up. I filled down the extractor and it got better.

I have a gen.2 17, its never hiccuped in thousands of rounds.

Comparing the 2 I don't feel like the problem is the extractor or ejector so much as the tolerance of the slide its self.

The 17 holds the case tight against the breech face, the 19 does not. There is more space between the breech face and extractor claw. This allows the case to fall down and not eject properly, especially on the last round when there is not another round in the mag to hold the empty case up.

I have switched all the slide internals between the two guns and nothing changes.

ST911
09-21-12, 10:07
You know, I hate to buy into the whole internet tail-chasing thing about "my glock doesn't eject into a nice pile 2 feet away at 4 'o' clock" but darned if I haven't been totally put off of the idea of buying a new Glock 17 after reading the last third of the ejector/extractor thread here.

I had also been under the impression that while the newer gen3s had some problems, they were mostly gtg. What's the verdict these days?

Buy the gun and shoot it. Analysis of reported issues is problematic, and you're best not to buy into the hype. I am buying and shooting gen4 9mm Glocks for pool guns and those going in harms way, with a clean conscience.

JHC
09-21-12, 11:00
Wow. I had an E series frame G27 too. It seems I know how to pick a glock. :rolleyes:

Us too! Eight Gen 4 9mm's across our 3 shooters from 2010 til the first FDE run this year and all rockin' it like Glocks of legend. Go figure.

Guns-up.50
09-21-12, 13:09
I have a new Gen.3 19, the ejection was ****ed up. I filled down the extractor and it got better.
]

Extractor:confused: Or the ejector. I know we have filed ejectors to change the face bevel and it helped. Where on the extractor did you by chance file?

TMS951
09-21-12, 13:34
The extractor was poorly cast, I filled down the top and bottom to smooth them out. I did not touch the actual claw in any way, I just made it so it didn't hang up when moving in the slide.

avengd7x
09-21-12, 13:54
here is a good example of glock's poor ejection. skip to 30 seconds in, he's shooting a glock 17 fde, so it's new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP-0jjAu-lY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

my late 3rd gens and 4th gens all eject like that (or worse)

the thing is, this guy never mentions the poor ejection. He does always wear a hat and eye protection (I've had brass get between my eye pro and my face) but it makes me think the problem is more wide spread than some people think, but some people aren't bothered by it.

Guns-up.50
09-21-12, 15:10
The extractor was poorly cast, I filled down the top and bottom to smooth them out. I did not touch the actual claw in any way, I just made it so it didn't hang up when moving in the slide.

alright never heard of anyone doing that.. cool

Straight Shooter
09-21-12, 15:20
Bought my new Gen 3 less than a month ago..ejects right thru the mag well w/o a mag in place, and so far has weak ejection, but none to the face yet. TS951 Id love to see pics of what you did to yours to make it better.

Kevin P
09-21-12, 15:21
Like the other "decision" thread. Why not just get an older gen3 17 made before 2009 or earlier? The older g17s have earned and built the glock reputation that glock is or at least was known for.

jesuvuah
09-21-12, 15:27
I have an older 17 and 26. I want to get a 19 but keep putting it off mostly because of other projects. These threads always make me think of putting it off a little longer though.

AJE
09-21-12, 15:34

It took them 25 years of making them to finally screw up the line.

That said, I haven't had a malfunction of my gen four G34, just the brass in the face.

CAVDOC
09-22-12, 10:34
gen2 19-no issues
gen4 19-no issues
2011 productiongen3 26- no isses
I guess I must have gotten lucky!
whenever I go to the range I am usually weraing a hat and always eye protection. I have gotten done shooting and had a couple black marks on my hat or head where apparently some brass may have hit me-but in the course of firing did not even notice it. also it could be ejected brass bounced off some structure and got me.
As long as the gun runs I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Striker
09-22-12, 12:09

I have a Gen 3 Glock 17 produced in, IIRC, June of 2011 that has been fine. It ejects into a fairly neat little pile. And I know this because I shoot at an outdoor range and pick up all of my brass. Like Cavdoc, I get hit by brass maybe once every 200 rounds or so. Then it goes back to ejecting into the aforementioned pile. So to say it has been extremely reliable. And I think most of the 17s are fine, but that doesn't help you much if you get one that isn't.

Hmac
09-22-12, 12:21
Here's a few shots from my Gen 3 Glock 19, factory test fire date April 2012. No malfunction over a couple of thousand rounds, but note that the only two shots that have the same ejection are the two that hit me in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzmop7PlUxQ&feature=plcp

xjustintimex
09-22-12, 12:36
my late model gen 3 Is definately not g2g lol. not only am I getting the ejection poblems but also its been getting loads of stove pipes. playing with the ejectors right now to see if one of them magically fixes my woes :D if a cheap ejector fixes the problem I wouldn't hesitate buying another. im just hoping it isnt something more cynical.

I guess I should also add I have 4 more gen 3 that are older without the dipped extractor with zero problems. So if you can find an older one your g2g

d90king
09-22-12, 12:39
None of my 1.5-4 year old Gen 3's have had any issues. I am just over a 15k rounds on a pair of RTF2 19's and yet to have a single failure or any brass to the face and just over 13k rounds on a pair of 17's with the same results.

I have picked up the following with zero issue out of any of them:
GEN 3 19 RTF2 8140 rounds Dip extractor 336 ejector
GEN 3 19 RTF2 7762 rounds Dip extractor 336 ejector
Gen 3 19 EXO Haven't run enough to offer statistics
GEN 3 34 Haven't run enough to offer statistics
GEN 3 17 4780 rounds Dip extractor (need to check)
GEN 3 17 9012 rounds Dip extractor (need to check)

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my experience has been very different than many of the reports I have read here.

Pappabear
09-22-12, 12:54
I was wanting a gen3 17 in FDE, after reading this, maybe not. Function was the key ingredient to buying blocks. If you can't get that, **** that noise. I don't want to have to file jack squat either. PappaBear and gun smithing don't belong in same sentence.

I'll just rock my MNP'S to fit that niche.

Monarchos
09-22-12, 15:52
Condition being equal would you buy a G17 2005 production model or a 2007 production model? Thanks guys

DocH
09-22-12, 20:03
Either one of those. Just my worthless opinion,but I think a lot of what we're seeing is our own fault. Market demands push production schedules and shortcuts get taken. If it works,leave it alone.
I found a CVW ser# series G17 last week with the old non LCI extractor and snatched it from amidst a whole display of newer Glocks. I'm putting new stock springs in it and a set of Hack sights and keeping it in the Jeep. I ain't wrestling with the current problems.

samuse
09-22-12, 20:50
Condition being equal would you buy a G17 2005 production model or a 2007 production model? Thanks guys

Knowing me, I'd get both!

I think either one would be in 'sweet spot' as far as function.

Probably a H or J and L serial number prefix.

Monarchos
09-23-12, 07:02
Spot on. Ones an H and ones an L. Hahah. May not be a bad idea

tfltackdriver
09-23-12, 14:11
On further review of the fact that there are obviously problems (otherwise, why would Glock keep changing up parts), I'll be looking for a pre 08 G17. Meantime, I'm going to bite the bullet and save up the extra cash for the HK45c.

Reliability is king for me. I can learn the rest.

Thank you for your input.