PDA

View Full Version : looking for an ar..also ADS questions

loki993
02-04-08, 21:44
ok first off hi new here, I tracked down this site doing searches for ar forums.

so anyway, I have some questions, its tax time and the current political climate is getting me a bit nervous. ive always wanted an AR and I want to get one while I still have a chance. im dealing with a bit of a budget, I dont want to sacrifice quality to save a few dollars, but I cant afford a 1400 dollar gun either, im probably working with a range of 600-900 dollars. ive moved around a bit on what I want. it started with a basic 20 inch gun, flattop with detach carry handle, a2 stock, its basically what I like. then I started looking at 16 inch m4s, just because theres so many, I figure I can start with that then add what I want later, if I want more. I was looking at RRA or stag and leaning a bit toward the cmmg "used" m4 deal. then grant drop an ADS on me for 825. yes at the upper spectrum of what I want to spend, but I think ive realized, I kinda knew all along, that that would probably be about what id have to spend for an ar. here are a few question:

accuracy wise what an I giving up going 16 inch vs 20 inch. just a question really, im sure any of these guns in 16 or 20 inch will be able to out shoot me for a good while.

is ADS as good as the seem to be. they seem to have a lot of high end features that tier 1 guns have, but at a tier 2 price, it almost seems too good to be true. anybody have any experience with them??

to be totally honest heres what im looking at:

buy the upper and lower separate, probably stag lower around 225 and stag upper for about 510 $735

CMMG "used" M4, very entry level, but people have said they shoot well and are a steal at $625

ADS m4 $825

if the ADS is as good as they seem to be thats the way im leaning. thanks.

Thermodyn
02-04-08, 22:48
My advice would be the ADS. Hard to beat at that price.

As far as the differences between the 20" and the 16", there are several.

Obviously, you get higher velocities out of the 20", at the expense of swing weight and handling qualities. The 20" has softer recoil and, all other things being equal, will likely outlast the 16" as the action is not as violent. A carbine length gas system operates at nearly twice the pressure of the rifle. A mid-length of course, splits the difference. The 20" has a longer sighting radius, so slightly easier to shoot accurately, although if you plan on using an optic, this is a non-issue.

I'm a BIG fan of the 20" and think that everyone should own at least one, but in reality, the 16" will do everything you need a fighting gun to do, at ranges of 300m or less, in a much more practical size.

I'm sure I've left something out, but that's all I can think of right now.

Btw, welcome to aboard!:D

GaryXD
02-05-08, 08:35
Another vote for ADS.

GONIF
02-05-08, 12:19
at $799.99 you are not going to beat the ADS. all it would take to make the ADS perfect is a BCM M16 BCG for $130.00. nothing wrong with the one it comes with but I always use a M16 BCG in an M4/carbine . I have a Colt 6920 and an LMT and the ADS is just as good as ether of those with a better finish than ether. the ADS is a no brainer ,just grab one .