PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle flyby

drrufo
09-21-12, 14:07
It just flew over downtown LA and did a flyby at LAX. It is incredible to see something that large flying lower than the buildings in downtown LA.

Alex V
09-21-12, 14:42
It just flew over downtown LA and did a flyby at LAX. It is incredible to see something that large flying lower than the buildings in downtown LA.

That must have been cool!

I still remember seeing the Soviet knock-off, Buran, flying through Kiev on top of an AN-225 when I was a little kid. Those things are huge!

Belmont31R
09-21-12, 19:03
They flew over Austin but our area was so overcast that morning I couldn't see shit. The radio stations were buzzing with the flyover when I was taking my kids to school and didn't see anything. Maybe more towards Austin the cloud level was higher but in CP at the time the thing would have to be buzzing tree tops to see it. Sucks.

Suwannee Tim
09-21-12, 20:09
I saw Shuttles several times flying down the Atlantic coast going back to Kennedy from Edwards Air Force Base. It is a strange looking thing, a 747 with a Shuttle on it's back.

jaxman7
09-21-12, 22:01
I'll never forget when I was a kid at St. George's elementary school in Baton Rouge playing kickball and looking up to see this huge 747 with a space shuttle mounted on top. It's one of those memories as a child that's just ingrained. Awesome.

-Jax

obucina
09-21-12, 22:26
I'll never forget when I was a kid at St. George's elementary school in Baton Rouge playing kickball and looking up to see this huge 747 with a space shuttle mounted on top. It's one of those memories as a child that's just ingrained. Awesome.

-Jax

my mom used to take me out to Playa Linda Beach in Cocoa to watch the shuttle take off. I was lucky enough to drive up on the day of the final launch to get it on video.

TehLlama
09-21-12, 22:29
That must have been cool!

I still remember seeing the Soviet knock-off, Buran, flying through Kiev on top of an AN-225 when I was a little kid. Those things are huge!

I'm jealous, though even though the thought of the fate of the Buran orbiters is comparably sad to what's happening now to our fleet.

jaxman7
09-21-12, 22:38
my mom used to take me out to Playa Linda Beach in Cocoa to watch the shuttle take off. I was lucky enough to drive up on the day of the final launch to get it on video.

Sweet man. That's one of those 'bucket list' things that sadly I'll never get to do. It's interesting to me how much of my childhood was influenced by NASA and especially the shuttle program. That flyby, going to Space Camp, the Challenger explosion.

A huge piece of Americana sadly on static display now without a worthy replacement on the horizon.

-Jax

KrampusArms
09-22-12, 01:37
I was able to see it from work today. It was far off in the distance, but I saw it.

It was sad. An ending to something great.