PDA

View Full Version : Fully Auto Glock Conversion

platoonDaddy
09-21-12, 16:13
Today surfing ATF's site I was amazed at the ease Glock is converted to fully auto. Have shot Glock's for years and learned today from the ATF that swapping out the slide cover plate (of course for the fully auto plate), one would have full auto.

Scroll down to: Are Glock conversion devices legal?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html

Just blows my mind.

Zhurdan
09-21-12, 16:16
Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's legal for everyone.

Glock conversion devices are considered post-May 19, 1986 machineguns and may only be lawfully possessed by properly licensed Federal Firearms Licensees who have paid the appropriate Special Occupational Tax (SOT) required of those manufacturing, importing, or dealing in National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms..

Owning one of those slide covers without proper licensing would get you a stay at a 'pound you in the ass' prison.

platoonDaddy
09-21-12, 16:17
Understand FULLY.

Just was amazed at the ease and that there was a product available.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-21-12, 16:19
Didn't figure it would be that damn easy.

Zhurdan
09-21-12, 16:56
Most of the things that make the giggle switch giggly are just a small portion of the overall operating parts in FA guns. At least the ones I've researched (academic) and shot (rented).

mashed68
09-21-12, 23:43
Considering a string with a metal loop on the end in the same space as a semi auto rifle is considerd a full auto by the ATF this doesn't suprise me at all. Full auto fire is very easy with many weapons.

Spiffums
09-22-12, 12:20
Yeah can't be slighting .gov on their fee for NFA items. They get real mad about you not giving them their share of the pie.

Pappabear
09-22-12, 12:35
Not much different from AR. VERY easy to make full auto. Very hard to get out of jail :). Homie don't play. :p

filthy phil
09-22-12, 12:41
Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's legal for everyone.

Owning one of those slide covers without proper licensing would get you a stay at a 'pound you in the ass' prison.
just for educational purposes here..
are those items for sale to the general public?
keep it at moms house

krm375
09-22-12, 13:02
http://www.fss-g.com/index2.htm

Found this link on Defense Review about the actual back plate.

TiroFijo
09-22-12, 16:35
There are several of these back plate devices with little switchs. I've tried a couple (from friends), and worked well for the few hundred rounds we tried. Fun, but IMO no practical use whatsoever, the pistols are difficult to control in full auto. You can learn to shoot short trings at < 7 dys and keep them centered on a IPSC target, but I doubt you can do it on the move, and definitely not one handed.

The very small lever is useless for a rapid change of setting, and reliability with extended use is still questionable.

I live in another country, the devices were not mine, and this was in less stringent times. If I lived in USA I would absolutely NOT risk it.

ccosby
09-22-12, 17:37
just for educational purposes here..
are those items for sale to the general public?
keep it at moms house

Yes you can find them online. You have them for sale in a few countries that don't treat full auto different than normal guns.

There are several of these back plate devices with little switchs. I've tried a couple (from friends), and worked well for the few hundred rounds we tried. Fun, but IMO no practical use whatsoever, the pistols are difficult to control in full auto. You can learn to shoot short trings at < 7 dys and keep them centered on a IPSC target, but I doubt you can do it on the move, and definitely not one handed.

The very small lever is useless for a rapid change of setting, and reliability with extended use is still questionable.

I live in another country, the devices were not mine, and this was in less stringent times. If I lived in USA I would absolutely NOT risk it.

You do have the stocks for pistols and those pistol to carbine adapters. I could see this working for them.

Iraqgunz
09-22-12, 17:57
These things were readily available at a location I was at and guys would bring them home. Incredibly stupid as it will earn you a trip to Club Fed. I have fired the G18 and I see no practical use for it all.

**This doesn't mean that I am anti-2nd Amendment nor do I think they should be banned.**

Hmac
09-22-12, 18:06
I have a fair amount of trigger time on one of those. I found it to be only marginally controllable and I can't really imagine how it could be a useful tool, even with the stock and foregrip.

http://SSEquine.net/glock18.jpg

markm
09-22-12, 18:16
They're good for Nam fire fights!

Wildcat
09-22-12, 19:30
Legal risks aside (for most of the world), its still not a fabulous idea:

Self inflicted wound with such a converted Glock: LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=11fcg543Jow#t=34s) :blink:

gunnut284
09-22-12, 20:24
I've shot a Glock 19 with one installed (demo gun held by a SOT with a LE demo letter) and it was fun to try but of little or no practical use. That said it was interesting how it works and if legal I'd probably have one just for the heck of it.

Ak44
09-23-12, 04:44
In addition to adding the "plate" you also have to fit the bar that runs from the plate to actuate a "semi" auto mode. You also have to modify the receiver in order to fit the plate. It's always fun to dump 33 rounds of 9mm down range.

yellowfin
09-23-12, 10:02
I recall reading years ago that there is or was a G18 training course that teaches how to control them in full auto fire, that it is a skill that can be taught and thus make them into something useful in certain specific circumstances.

mikeith
09-23-12, 21:42
I have a fair amount of trigger time on one of those. I found it to be only marginally controllable and I can't really imagine how it could be a useful tool, even with the stock and foregrip.

http://SSEquine.net/glock18.jpg

Have you seen the video of the guy shooting one of those and the vert grip breaks/comes off and he shoots himself in the hand?

Pappabear
09-24-12, 01:24
I shot one and it raised up pretty good. That's why we have SBR's and MP5's and so on. I think I might enjoy a burst mode on my FNP45:D .