PDA

View Full Version : The Z-Comp

K.L. Davis
09-23-12, 02:00
Nothing to do with Zombies.

I have never really been a big comp user, I have had almost all of the popular ones over the years and while I did enjoy the benefits that some of them provided - I just never got jacked up enough to run out and replace every muzzle devise I have with one particular comp.

Recently I have been shooting a new comp from a local company and I have to say I am very impressed... the company is Proto-Tactical in Tucson, they have folks with some good background in making gun parts on staff, and have been making parts for other companies for a while... their newest offering in comps (they make a few) is the Z-Comp.

I have one on a 5.56 gun and it does everything that a comp should do well - again, I've never really consider the 5.56 AR a beast to control, but with the Z-Comp on it, it shoots kind of like a squirt gun. A while back I got one of the Z-Comps for a 7.62 AR and this was an eye-opener... this platform gave me a chance to really see how well the design works; it tamed that .308 down to what most would call a pleasant shooting 5.56 standard.

I will get some pictures and videos up here over the next few days... but I can say that I had the .308 on a Sheriffs Dept range a while back and was banging away on their steel... the RO was standing there watching and I asked him "you cool with 7.62 on your steel?" - he sort of did a double take and said that from how smooth and fast the gun was shooting, there was no way he thought I was shooting a .308 - he also was not cool with 7.62 on his steel :(

Anyway, just wanted to share... it is a nice piece of gear. There are a couple of other folks on the forum that have been shooting the Z-Comp for a while now, maybe we can get them to throw in their thoughts?

jaxman7
09-24-12, 13:05
Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to more info on this.

-Jax

MistWolf
09-24-12, 15:00
Now for the $64,000 question- how is the side blast compared to the A2?

markm
09-24-12, 15:15
I've been dying to get a look at this ever since you mentioned it on social media.

Iraqgunz made mention of it too I think...

GTifosi
09-24-12, 15:43
It would be the one pictured at the bottom of this Proto Tactical page (http://prototactical.net/), correct?

Iraqgunz
09-24-12, 22:29
I had those guys send me one as I was curious about it. I installed it on one of my builds that used a Colt 6920 barrel. I didn't have a chance to shoot alot of rounds through (1 magazine), but I was pleasantly surprised. There was virtually no muzzle climb and the blast wasn't outrageous.

It was a little difficult to get a good feel for it because I had to shoot on a range with an overhead cover/ with aluminum sheets for roofing.

markm
09-25-12, 08:16
It would be the one pictured at the bottom of this Proto Tactical page (http://prototactical.net/), correct?

That's cool looking.

jaxman7
09-25-12, 10:05
Any info any price? I looked at the website GTifosi posted but found nothing. Also saw the X-Comp but nada on that as well.

-Jax

3 AE
09-25-12, 10:13
Looks like they're selling them on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proto-Tactical-Z-Comp-AR-Muzzle-Brake-Compensator-223-5-56-/140825453848

jaxman7
09-25-12, 10:35
Gotcha. Thanks. Not too bad. Buy it now price $115.

Here's a pic from their ebay site.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/_KGrHqV_qcF_b-wPwbPBQKslMb_qw_60_3-2.jpg

MistWolf
09-25-12, 10:44
...the blast wasn't outrageous...

That's surprising! Judging from the size and shape of the ports, I figured the blast would be as horrendous as other brakes

It was a little difficult to get a good feel for it because I had to shoot on a range with an overhead cover/ with aluminum sheets for roofing.

It's been my experience that shooting under an overhead or at an indoor range usually exaggerates muzzle blast

K.L. Davis
10-16-12, 11:52
Here is some good video of testing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6oVpNYA2eY

markm
10-16-12, 12:19
Pretty cool. Definitely had the least rifle movement. I wonder how much it rattles the brain though.

K.L. Davis
10-16-12, 12:24
Pretty cool. Definitely had the least rifle movement. I wonder how much it rattles the brain though.
Not bad at all... Will has one.

Check you PM

markm
10-16-12, 12:27
Not bad at all... Will has one.

Check you PM

He'll be home in a few days.... Lord help me...

3 AE
10-17-12, 11:44
Here is some good video of testing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6oVpNYA2eY

The background vocals aren't too shabby either! Now I can't get "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" out of my head. Thanks for the "Blast from the past". :D

markm
10-17-12, 12:04
Yeah. That was funny.

Robb Jensen
10-18-12, 09:46
I have one and it's very impressive. It shoots as flat as a Surefire 212 brake but with about 1/2 of the side blast. More side blast than say an A2 comp or combo comp but doesn't beat you up like many other brakes. I have 800 rounds through mine on various length barrels including a 12.5", 14.5" midlength, 16" midlength and a 18" rifle gas barrel. Good design indeed.

markm
10-18-12, 09:49
What bbl lengths? I can't wait to try it... hopefully on multiple barrel lengths.

ASH556
10-18-12, 09:58
The muzzle brake was pretty impressive, but I don't think I'd buy a Proto Tactical rifle after seeing that video. Sounded like he fixed about 8 feeding malfunctions.

markm
10-18-12, 10:04
The muzzle brake was pretty impressive, but I don't think I'd buy a Proto Tactical rifle after seeing that video. Sounded like he fixed about 8 feeding malfunctions.

I didn't see it that way at all. I think he was single loading the weapon since it was fired with no body support.... incase the gun fell.. it wouldn' fall with a live round in it.

og556
10-18-12, 10:22
That comp looks really effective. I understand that comps are not designed to reduce muzzle flash but does any one have any idea of how this performs in low light ?

markm
10-18-12, 10:36
That comp looks really effective. I understand that comps are not designed to reduce muzzle flash but does any one have any idea of how this performs in low light ?

I plan to find out. Powder selection is huge for flash mitigation. And it seems the brakes with LARGE single ports flash dramatically more than brakes like the Z-comp.

K.L. Davis
10-18-12, 12:27
If they weren't single loading it, you have to keep in mind that the rifle was completely unsupported, just sittng on rests.

Iraqgunz
10-18-12, 12:32
markm and I will be doing some more testing with it very soon. :D

og556
10-18-12, 15:03
Is any one on this board a distributor for these guys or is the only way to get one through eBay ?

Iraqgunz
10-18-12, 22:59
http://leoarmory.com/ss/

http://prototactical.net/

uwe1
10-19-12, 04:23
I had a chance to put a few rounds through one of these a few weeks ago. It was very pleasant to shoot. Subjectively, the felt recoil was less than with the Battlecomp.

I didn't shoot it enough or pay attention enough to judge concussive blast.

Sticks
10-19-12, 04:42
I didn't shoot it enough or pay attention enough to judge concussive blast.

You'd have to ask your neighbors about that.

uwe1
10-19-12, 04:58
You'd have to ask your neighbors about that.

It was just me and a buddy of mine shooting out in the desert. Our location was getting a bit crowded with other groups pulling in and shooting next to us. When he was shooting, I was making sure no one pointed their guns at us, so I didn't really pay attention. Nothing bad happened, but we packed it up soon after.

Marty916
10-19-12, 16:27
I see a lot of questions about which muzzle device is best for a certain application. There are three basic device catagories currently on the market: compensators, brakes and flash hiders. Each has specific uses and, unfortunately, each has divergent requirements. Each has pros and cons. I don't claim to be an expert but if anyone would like to learn more about muzzle device basics I would be happy to provide information which I hope will make choosing the right device for a specific application less painful. Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help out.
Marty (formerly of battlecomp)

ASH556
10-19-12, 16:51
I see a lot of questions about which muzzle device is best for a certain application. There are three basic device catagories currently on the market: compensators, brakes and flash hiders. Each has specific uses and, unfortunately, each has divergent requirements. Each has pros and cons. I don't claim to be an expert but if anyone would like to learn more about muzzle device basics I would be happy to provide information which I hope will make choosing the right device for a specific application less painful. Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help out.

Formerly? I thought you WERE Battlecomp.

Marty916
10-19-12, 16:58
I left them some time ago to pursue other opportunities and challenges.

Sticks
10-20-12, 04:27

That sir would make a good thesis, and should be a sticky.

prdubi
10-20-12, 04:40
Suppressor s should be mandatory.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Sticks
10-20-12, 04:55
Suppressor(s) should be mandatory and should not require a tax stamp or permission from Fed/State/Local authority..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Fixed it.

uwe1
10-21-12, 14:31
http://leoarmory.com/ss/

http://prototactical.net/

It looks like LEO Armory updated their website and got these up and running.

http://leoarmory.com/ss/index.php?l=product_detail&p=335

PRGGodfather
10-24-12, 11:41
I left them some time ago to pursue other opportunities and challenges.

Hmmm.

jaxman7
10-24-12, 13:04
Probably would be best if we just kept on topic fellas.

-Jax

og556
10-24-12, 18:20
I'm looking forward to hearing about how you guys like that z comp. the rifles on their website look a little questionable but that video is hard to argue with.

markm
10-25-12, 07:54
Iraqgunz will have one Friday night. Not sure what bbl he's running it on.

I was hoping to try it on several barrel lengths, but that may not be possible in the desert.

markm
10-26-12, 14:57
Damn it. Mine arrived at the house today... I'm already packed up and heading straight to the range after work. :(

Pappabear and I have this SARCASTIC expression... "I didn't want to shoot that today anyway!" :)

markm
10-29-12, 09:40
I got mine installed Saturday, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. My one mild gripe is that the threads start immediately at the back of the Comp. So you need a fairly think washer/shim/crush washer to space it out from where the threads end on the AR barrel.

On the barrel I'm using, you couldn't time it washer free for a smooth look. Not a big deal to me, but if I were putting this on a nice build, or bolt gun and wanted a seamless appearance, you'd have to go some machine work to get there.... and I say this because it's such a nice looking piece, you'd find it on nicer, custom guns.

We did fire Iraqgunz's, and it was nice. Low flash with hot ammo, and no brain rattle.

I stood next to Gunz and got a taste of the side blast. It gives off that "wind" from the muzzle as opposed to that concussive feel from a harsh brake.

Magic_Salad0892
10-29-12, 10:20
I got mine installed Saturday, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. My one mild gripe is that the threads start immediately at the back of the Comp. So you need a fairly think washer/shim/crush washer to space it out from where the threads end on the AR barrel.

On the barrel I'm using, you couldn't time it washer free for a smooth look. Not a big deal to me, but if I were putting this on a nice build, or bolt gun and wanted a seamless appearance, you'd have to go some machine work to get there.... and I say this because it's such a nice looking piece, you'd find it on nicer, custom guns.

We did fire Iraqgunz's, and it was nice. Low flash with hot ammo, and no brain rattle.

I stood next to Gunz and got a taste of the side blast. It gives off that "wind" from the muzzle as opposed to that concussive feel from a harsh brake.

Thanks for the update, Mark.

This brake doesn't have a collar on it to accept suppressors that mount to the A2 FH does it?

markm
10-29-12, 11:01
No. Not suppressor compatible.

I'll probably buy one in 30 cal for my .308 Rem 700. The 5.56 version is on the 14.5 BCM middy... which already shoots smooth. I can't wait to see how it shoots with this comp. :)

K.L. Davis
10-29-12, 17:01
My one mild gripe is that the threads start immediately at the back of the Comp. So you need a fairly think washer/shim/crush washer to space it out from where the threads end on the AR barrel.

Ask and ye shall receive Mark... just talked to the head honcho there, the future comps will have the change incorporated.

Magic_Salad0892
10-29-12, 22:43
No. Not suppressor compatible.

I'll probably buy one in 30 cal for my .308 Rem 700. The 5.56 version is on the 14.5 BCM middy... which already shoots smooth. I can't wait to see how it shoots with this comp. :)

Thanks for the clarification.

uwe1
10-30-12, 02:33

I saw IG's video of the flash signature at night. Not bad at all especially compared to the PWS FSC556.

Your impressions mirror mine. No harsh concussive feel even when standing to the side. More "blast" than an A2, but not bad at all.

Full auto fire was very controllable.

It is a very nice looking piece.

markm
10-30-12, 07:56
Ask and ye shall receive Mark... just talked to the head honcho there, the future comps will have the change incorporated.

That's cool. I think it'd look nice with a very thin or no shim. But I'm not sure if that would put the barrel too far into the comp and change performance. :confused:

markm
10-30-12, 07:57
I saw IG's video of the flash signature at night. Not bad at all especially compared to the PWS FSC556.

Yeah... even with XM193 it didn't flash bad at all. So with good ammo, it's just fine.

ChocLab
10-30-12, 14:57
@KL Davis

Is there any way the vendor can put in the description of the product on their website that "This is not a flash hider"?

For those us trapped behind anti2A states, this would help especially in states that have aggressive interpretations of law.

I know I want to buy one but don't want to have to bastardize my mag release to do so if it is advertised as flash reducing or its flash reducing effects.

mpom
10-30-12, 19:03
Has anyone that has used the Z comp also used the BCM comp, and how do they compare?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

markm
10-31-12, 08:12
Has anyone that has used the Z comp also used the BCM comp, and how do they compare?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

I think Iraqgunz has one of those BCM units coming. If he gets it we might have to do another low light shoot and run them all together.

mpom
10-31-12, 11:42
That would be much appreciated.

Mark

K.L. Davis
11-01-12, 00:24
@KL Davis

Is there any way the vendor can put in the description of the product on their website that "This is not a flash hider"?

For those us trapped behind anti2A states, this would help especially in states that have aggressive interpretations of law.

I know I want to buy one but don't want to have to bastardize my mag release to do so if it is advertised as flash reducing or its flash reducing effects.
I will pass it on to them... never hurts to ask.

markm
11-04-12, 18:23
I got out this weekend with the Z-comp. 14.5 BCM middy mounted.

The people who have fired it LIKE it. The flash on my most obnoxious load is very small. I had to have someone else look at it to make sure I just wasn't missing it.

On the 14.5 middy it feels freakishly smooth like there's an actuator cycling the bolt and you're not really shooting live ammo. It's almost hard to get used to.

Combining the Rifle buffer/stock, the 14.5 middy, and the Z-comp makes for a ridiculous lack of recoil. :p

The carbine looks cool. I'll put a pic up tomorrow.

jaxman7
11-04-12, 20:08
Awesome man. Thanks for the info.

How about sideblast?

I am pretty sure the BCM won't compare for pure recoil control but did you have a chance to run one of these as well?

-Jax

ETA: Just read your post on being near the sideblast of IG's rifle
So nevermind on the sideblast question.

VIP3R 237
11-04-12, 20:11
I think Iraqgunz has one of those BCM units coming. If he gets it we might have to do another low light shoot and run them all together.

Very interested to see the comparison.

markm
11-05-12, 05:35
Awesome man. Thanks for the info.

How about sideblast?

ETA: Just read your post on being near the sideblast of IG's rifle
So nevermind on the sideblast question.

It's more of a snap of wind than the usual pain from a regular old brake.

markm
11-05-12, 06:16
Here's a phone pic. A 14.5 that shoot and ejects just like a 20" rifle.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/Zcomp.jpg

The_Hammer_Man
11-19-12, 21:23
After reading all the positive posts/reviews of this new Z-Comp I contacted the guys in Tucson and they shipped me one.

Recieved it in 3 days... installed it on a departmental build I had and grabbed a mixed bag of PMC, Hornady, and Milspec (55 and 62gr) and rumbled off to the range.

I also brought a similar upper that had a PWS FSC556 muzzle device on it.

At our slow fire range here in SE Wisconsin they build their shoot houses like they're expecting a nuke. Pored slab concrete walls no less. Needless to say "aggressive" muzzle brakes are NO fun to fire in them. Even with dbl ear pro it's painful after awhile.

I have to admit I was impressed with the recoil reduction that the Z-Comp provides and even more impressed by the fact that I didn't have a head ache after firing about 200 rounds.

The dB levels aren't reduced but the bitch slap is "softer" for want of a better description. (More like a soft pillow up side the head instead of a phone book in the face.) The PWS brake's bark was a bit sharper/more piercing. I tried to figure it out but, the math defeated me :). Sonics and fluid dynamics are a little beyond me.

Whether bench or offhand the ZComp helps provide a very soft recoil impulse escpecially on my A5 equipped lower. Even on the carbine lower which had box stock buffer spring combo it was noticebly different/softer.

After deer season is over myself and a few friends are getting together at one of the ranges upstate from me. I'll take the Z-Comp equipped upper with me and let the fellas test it for a few hundred rounds.

I'll let you know what they think.

markm
11-20-12, 07:11
I can't wait to get out and shoot it again. I just wish it could be super sized for my .308 Bolt gun.

Didn't get to shoot last weekend, but I hope to wear this sucker out this weekend.

The_Hammer_Man
11-20-12, 13:02
It's a pretty nice day here in WI, 55f and sunny so I went to the range with the ZComp equipped 16" upper and a 1:8twist 18" SPR build I had in the works.

The 16" upper/A5 equipped lower rockulates! Had all sorts of fun with it doing drills and such. Shot to shot sight reset with either the red dot or my scope was nearly instantaneous. Very pleased with it in this configuration.

Had all sorts trouble with the 18". Weird eh? Mounted to my A5 lower the weapon would bounce as much as 2-3" when fired. It literally slaps your hand when you fire it offhand. This doesn't occur (or if it does it's unnoticeable) with the 16" upper. When I switched to the sample X-Comp that they sent me the bounce went away.

The weapon was on its bipod with a sand bag for stock support. Every time I discharged the weapon it would bounce up and left anywhere from 2-3 inchs. I got out the muzzle wrench and fiddled with different timing positions and was able to get it "sort of" under control.

Thoughts?

The upper in question is as follows:

WOA 18" NM profile rifle length gas

PRI LP adjustable GB

Rainier Arms Billet receiver

MI G2 SS 12" FF tube with rail bits and so on

Nikon monarch 2.5-10x50 scope

Harris Bipod.

Lower is a pretty standard LMT forged receiver w/an A5 tube and stock. Stock spring and buffer as provided by VLTOR.

sadmin
11-20-12, 13:52
I couldnt resist. Taking it out for the first time on Saturday. Im going to do TRICONS MNQ at 50 to see what sort of results I can get out of it since I know what I normally get with same rifle w/ A2. Its definately nice looking and Its cool to see the last "baffle" drilled with the forward gas ports. iPhone pic -

Caution - a puppy was killed during the making of this barrel. @markm ;)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/r3h4b/photo-Z.jpg

markm
11-20-12, 13:55
Caution - a puppy was killed during the making of this barrel. @markm ;)

I just redeployed and old 20" Hbar. Enough metal to make 3 of those barrels. :cool:

eperk
11-20-12, 17:35
Got mine in the mail this morning. Had it at the range this afternoon. It's pretty sweet. Can't tell if it's any louder but you can definitely feel less recoil than the standard A2. Less barrel rise. It's a sweet shooter. I have a standard 16" barrel on my LMT so I can't speak for the problems with the 20".
Let my neice shoot it while I was standing to the side (about 4:00). There was no blast, just a whoosh. Jeff at Leo Armory said if I didn't like it I could send it back. It ain't going back.

badness
11-20-12, 19:08
Nothing to do with Zombies.

damn.......

ranger_sxt
11-22-12, 09:30
Has anyone else shot this from prone and noticed the amount of dust that is displaced when shooting it, enough to conceal the target?

markm
11-22-12, 10:31
Has anyone else shot this from prone and noticed the amount of dust that is displaced when shooting it, enough to conceal the target?

There is no muzzle device that stops the dust sig in our area... other than a silencer.

A Z-comp will give more side signature compared to an A2 which will give more forward signature.

uwe1
11-25-12, 19:08
Deleted.

K.L. Davis
11-26-12, 10:32
I can't wait to get out and shoot it again. I just wish it could be super sized for my .308 Bolt gun.

Didn't get to shoot last weekend, but I hope to wear this sucker out this weekend.
They have a .30 Cal version of it...

markm
11-26-12, 10:50
They have a .30 Cal version of it...

I'll get one for Christmas. Are they available on any of the sites? I haven't seen it for sale yet.

sadmin
11-26-12, 11:40
Well im no pro, but im sold. Im a bit of a dork when it comes to buying all the latest crap that comes out but im working on that whole "indian not arrow" mantra. That being said, I own the mb556k, bc1.5, fsc556, and the m4sd from Griffin. I find the mb556k to be the best pure comp out of the above mentioned, but of course thats not without a little sacrifice which has been mentioned numerous times. The side concussion is not an issue for me as I will never be in a stack, only annoying the fellow shooter in a class. The main concern is the visual impairment that is caused by these devices when im prone. The z-comp had the lowest footprint, which in returned allowed me to get the next shot off slightly quicker. Thats my nontechnical, noobreview.

Rifle is Colt 6720 w/ H3. Ammo was wolf mc, pmc, and IMI m193; all functioned flawlessly.

m1a_scoutguy
11-26-12, 13:08
I'll get one for Christmas. Are they available on any of the sites? I haven't seen it for sale yet.

I think this is the only place at the moment:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proto-Tactical-Z-Comp-AR-Muzzle-Brake-Compensator-223-5-56-/140825453848 I have been thinking about one also,,them seem to be a good setup !

markm
11-26-12, 13:25
That's the 5.56 version. I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if they list the 30 cal version.

The_Hammer_Man
11-26-12, 14:41
@markm I had to call to order my .30 cal break. They're nice guys but they need to get no the stick with their website sales :)

BrigandTwoFour
11-26-12, 16:13
For you guys running the .30 cal version, how do you like it?

I was planning on a PRI MSTN, but the reviews on this one has my interest.

86 slo-vo
11-26-12, 16:42
So I'm in the market for a comp, plan on buying tonight but stuck between the Z-comp and the MB556k surefire.

I'm just a pinker but plan on taking a few carbine classes this year.

Mega arms billet upper/lower
Mega arms trigger
Ace ARUL stock with rifle length buffer
BCM BCG
DD 14.5 Lightweight mid-length barrel
Noveske nsr 13.5 rail

Which would you guys recomend for me that have used both?

eperk
11-26-12, 16:59
You sure built a nice rifle to be a plinker.

eperk
11-26-12, 17:01
Speaking of comps. Anybody use a Dragon's Head? I looks just like a Levang to me.

86 slo-vo
11-26-12, 19:01
You sure built a nice rifle to be a plinker.

Figured I'd build it right the first time, will also be used for a few classes and at home should something go down.

The_Hammer_Man
11-26-12, 23:05
If you're going to be taking a carbine class your fellow students will like you A LOT more if you use the Z-Comp :)

So will you. Sunday a bud of mine and I went to the range with our carbines.

His has the Surefire on it. He's ordered a Z on Monday :)

As far as the .30 cal version of the Z is concerned.. I dunno. I haven't received it yet.

Sticks
11-27-12, 04:55
If you're going to be taking a carbine class your fellow students will like you A LOT more if you use the Z-Comp :)

Even more it you are running a can or standard A2. Been on the receiving end for two classes, and was the offender for the third. At least I was 2" farther out instead of the guy with a SBR & AAC.

Maybe I'll get lucky and see one of these in person one day.

uwe1
11-27-12, 09:10
That's the 5.56 version. I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if they list the 30 cal version.

I just emailed Jeff@leoarmory.com and he said that he is able to get them, but isn't sure of the lead times.

markm
11-27-12, 09:15
I just emailed Jeff@leoarmory.com and he said that he is able to get them, but isn't sure of the lead times.

Cool... thanks.. I'll keep my eyes peeled...

ranger_sxt
11-27-12, 09:16
There is no muzzle device that stops the dust sig in our area... other than a silencer.

A Z-comp will give more side signature compared to an A2 which will give more forward signature.

I'm aware of this. As installed per the manufacturer's pictures, this actually creates more dust than either an A2 or a YHM Phantom. Rotating it 180 degrees reduced the dust significantly and didn't seem to change the effectiveness of it as a brake...

markm
11-27-12, 09:22
I'm aware of this. As installed per the manufacturer's pictures, this actually creates more dust than either an A2 or a YHM Phantom. Rotating it 180 degrees reduced the dust significantly and didn't seem to change the effectiveness of it as a brake...

We try to toss a blanket or mat down... But the Z-comp doesn't catch my attention because we're also shooting 300 Win Mag....

Now That sucker will give of a Dust Signature. :eek:

Doc. Holiday
11-27-12, 09:31

Haha, yea...I kinda already been there and done that with my triple port muzzle brake... haha

uwe1
11-27-12, 11:22
Cool... thanks.. I'll keep my eyes peeled...

Jeff just contacted me and told me that the .308 version will be available by Friday. Estimated price is $135. Email him if you're looking for one.

86 slo-vo
11-27-12, 11:43
I went ahead and ordered the z-comp.

The_Hammer_Man
11-28-12, 15:11
Just got back from the range with my 16" upper that I mounted the Z-Comp to.

I'm still happy with it and am getting "happier" as I get more used to it.

Going to be contacting Proto and ordering several of them in both 5.56 and 30 cal for customer builds.

anto
11-28-12, 23:59
Anyone have a video of this shooting at night compared to a BC or A2?

markm
11-29-12, 06:40
Iraqgunz had some video some place. I shot the video with his device. Flash was very reasonable. Maybe he'll post it...

Doc. Holiday
11-29-12, 09:00
Tell him to do it! I'm still in the homework phase.

86 slo-vo
12-01-12, 19:19
I put about 250 rounds through the z-comp today, it was very nice. No muzzle jump at all nor any dive. It stayed almost perfectly still.

I ran a mag through it after dark, if I can figure out how to get the video off of Facebook I will post it. The flash wasn't too bad.

M90A1
12-01-12, 21:28
LEO Armory has all the versions available, in the SAR building, at the Phoenix show this weekend. At least, they had them on Friday.

markm
12-02-12, 10:27
LEO Armory has all the versions available, in the SAR building, at the Phoenix show this weekend. At least, they had them on Friday.

DAMN IT. I'd have had Pappabear grab me one had I known. :mad:

Iraqgunz
12-02-12, 14:36
You should have told me foolio I were there.

DAMN IT. I'd have had Pappabear grab me one had I known. :mad:

markm
12-03-12, 06:49
You should have told me foolio I were there.

Did you visit LEO armory?

Doc. Holiday
12-03-12, 09:10
Dang Mark...a penny short and a day late yet again... ;)

markm
12-03-12, 09:25
Dang Mark...a penny short and a day late yet again... ;)

I NEVER go to gun shows. Used to years ago... can't stand anything about them anymore.

K.L. Davis
07-09-13, 15:19
Thought I would bring this one back up... development of the Z-Comp for new applications has been ongoing, including devices for 30 cal rifles, different threading and a beefy version for the 338LM (which works very, very well!) - so the obvious direction to go from here is to do a more *tactical* version. Stay tuned for the Z-Tac :)

The_Hammer_Man
07-09-13, 17:51
Z-Tac? You're going to produce a flash hiding version of the Z-Comp?

Say it's going to be so!

BTW.. both I an my customers love your X and Z series comps.

Keep up the good work.

K.L. Davis
07-10-13, 08:15
Z-Tac? You're going to produce a flash hiding version of the Z-Comp?

Say it's going to be so!

BTW.. both I an my customers love your X and Z series comps.

Keep up the good work.
Working on it!

markm
07-10-13, 08:25
The Z comp still blows me away. On my BCM 14.5 middy the lack of muzzle rise is disturbing and un-natural.

It's half credited to the middy and half to the comp.. but the two of them together are flat out strange feeling.

That upper on a full auto lower is like spraying with a garden hose.

eperk
07-10-13, 19:37
Mark, I have been running a Z-Comp on my LMT for about 6 months now and love it. Funny thing is that when I put it on my 18" middy I had more rise than I did with a cheap Levang style compensator when shooting long distance. Weird huh?

markm
07-10-13, 21:29
Mark, I have been running a Z-Comp on my LMT for about 6 months now and love it. Funny thing is that when I put it on my 18" middy I had more rise than I did with a cheap Levang style compensator when shooting long distance. Weird huh?

Not familiar with the Levang at all. :confused:

eperk
07-10-13, 21:40
Not familiar with the Levang at all. :confused:

Black Hole makes the one I have. Looks like a mini suppressor. It pushes recoil straight back (doesn't reduce it like the Z-Comp) and you get very little rise. It's heavy though. You wouldn't want to use it on a SHTF weapon. Mainly precision stuff.

The_Hammer_Man
07-11-13, 00:10
To "fix" the 18" muzzle rise issue all you need to is ream out, using a tapered reamer, the appropriate ports at the end of the brake.

This is also how you would "tune" a Levang style muzzle brake.

Example: If it rises up and right you would ream out, in VERY small increments!!!!!, the port at 2 o'clock and possibly the one at 12 o'clock too. (Depending on the severity of the muzzle jump)

About reaming the ports... some smiths swear by straight reamers and others, like myself, swear by tapered. The straight reamers are "single shot" and require that you do your math well in advance of applying tool to your muzzle device.

Tapered reamers are a bit more forgiving in that you can kind of sneak up on the amount of materials removal you desire.