PDA

View Full Version : Need a New Phone

montanadave
09-23-12, 12:46
So my LG 8700 seems to have finally shit the bed. I've had it for 4 or 5 years and have been nursing it along for about the last six months, having to pull the battery in and out to get it to turn on, etc. Camera crapped out a couple of years ago.

And I ****ing hate, with the passion of a thousand burning suns, going into the Verizon store and talking with those jerkoffs who treat me exactly like the idiot I am with respect to cell phones, mobile devices, smartphones, etc.

I just want a basic phone that won't bust when it gets dropped or gets a little sweat on it. I use it as a phone, period. And I guess it makes sense to have a camera in case of an accident or some such shit. I don't even use text messaging.

I'd also like to stick to an LG product that would use the same charger I have in my truck so I don't get dinged another $35 to buy another one.

Any suggestions? Oh, I want to get it on the cheap, also.

P.S. I'm stuck with Verizon as my wife has an iPhone with some kind of perpetual contract with automatic annual rate increases which she can only cancel with a death certificate and I'm just a lowly "second user" with limited benefits.

KrampusArms
09-23-12, 13:07
You my friend, are much like me. I had the same battery nursing issues as you. I fidgeted with the damn thing for weeks before I said F$#K it. I use cell phones as.......... a phone! Nothing else!

I dont have a recommendation for you, but I just get the cheapest NON flip open that has REAL buttons. They usually all last about a year.

Im tired of seeing all these drones doing the finger touchy thing everywhere I go. We are living in quite a sad era. Everywhere I go, somebodies jacked in to their crap. It keeps people tranquilized.

Last night I saw on the news, all the people camping outside the store all day & night for the iphone 5. Seriously?

Hmac
09-23-12, 13:16
Last night I saw on the news, all the people camping outside the store all day & night for the iphone 5. Seriously?

News to you? That's a pretty routine scenario for Apple mobile products. I preordered an iPhone 5 for my daughter who's on my account. Of all the 2 AM preorder scenarios I've done for iPhones or iPads, this iPhone 5 was the one that went the smoothest/quickest. Back in bed in 20 minutes, despite the fact that preorder sales were about twice what the previous record was (last iPhone...4s).

Quite the phenomenon. I don't mind getting up at 2 AM, but I agree that the days-waiting-in-line thing is puzzling and farther than I'd go.

KrampusArms
09-23-12, 13:47
News to you? That's a pretty routine scenario for Apple mobile products. I preordered an iPhone 5 for my daughter who's on my account. Of all the 2 AM preorder scenarios I've done for iPhones or iPads, this iPhone 5 was the one that went the smoothest/quickest. Back in bed in 20 minutes, despite the fact that preorder sales were about twice what the previous record was (last iPhone...4s).

Quite the phenomenon. I don't mind getting up at 2 AM, but I agree that the days-waiting-in-line thing is puzzling and farther than I'd go.

No not news to me, Im aware of the store camping. Just like the guys who camp out for video games on release day.

I just think going to those lengths is a bit odd, & sad.

Honu
09-23-12, 14:55
No not news to me, Im aware of the store camping. Just like the guys who camp out for video games on release day.

but its their thing ? thats cool no skin off my back

and sure they think I am a bit odd and sad for wanting a water tank in my garage and enough food for a year :) hahahah

Belmont31R
09-23-12, 15:07
Check out the motorola quantico which I think is VZW's network. I think you'd have to buy an unlocked one, and then have VZW put a sim card in it.

Mjolnir
09-23-12, 15:15
I'm partial to the iPhone, for better or worse. I have a 4S with the latest upgrade and I truly like it. The 5 would be faster yet with a slightly larger screen.

KrampusArms
09-23-12, 15:22
but its their thing ? thats cool no skin off my back

and sure they think I am a bit odd and sad for wanting a water tank in my garage and enough food for a year :) hahahah

They most likely would Honu.

I had a moment of utter clarity one morning, riding the BART train here in the bay area.

I was sitting there on the train, it was 8:00 am. I was still foggy from the sands of sleep. I dont carry any sort of device on my person, other than the most basic phone for emergency usage. So I had nothing to do but observe the situation around me. The train was almost completely occupied. It was mostly filled with ages 20-40 somethings, and everyone of them, I kid you not, every single person, had the touch screen device in front of their nose. Some had laptops as well as the handhelds. They all said nothing. The train was absolutely silent except for the white noise. It was like a dystopian sci-fi movie, every one plugged in, & kept sedated. I was having a completely surreal moment, it was freaking me out. I then noticed an elderly woman I had overlooked. She was the standard blue hair you all know, reading a book. A BOOK. As she was turning a page she caught eye contact with me and smiled. She was the only person on that train, who acknowledged the humans around her. Like a gentle dinosaur from a generation that is now faded, reading her book. An archaic an obsolete object, words of ink printed on plant fiber, read from left to right. It was an amazing & sad sight. I will never forget that morning.

Hmac
09-23-12, 16:37

I think it's very interesting. Not something I'd care to do, but folks that do tend to view it as an event unto itself. Certainly understandable why some would view it as odd, but I don't see labeling it as sad.

I've seen people camping in line for concert tickets for "artists" that I would even waste space on my iPhone for. Likewise, I've seen people waiting two hours in line in the Orlando sun waiting for a 5 minute ride. Each to their own. Not my cup of tea, but I don't see it as sad.

VooDoo6Actual
09-23-12, 17:06
I'm partial to the iPhone, for better or worse. I have a 4S with the latest upgrade and I truly like it. The 5 would be faster yet with a slightly larger screen.

That OS6 upgrade is working pretty sweet on my 4S as well. Used the Panoramic mode, privacy modes, Siri upgrades are all working very nicely.

Have to re-install You Tube. iBooks is hidden etc.

Other than their sub rosa / covert privacy invasion BS I like the refinements/improvements/upgrades as well.
I like the ability to edit signature lines for different email vectors. That works nicely for my needs.
I will get a 5 when all the drama, BS hype, smoke clears.
Still digging the Galaxy S lll a lot.
Jellybean update soon.

I know the browser/benchmark test speeds are very impressive w/ the iPone 5.

Clint
09-23-12, 17:10
I nominate this for post of the month.

I had a moment of utter clarity one morning, riding the BART train here in the bay area.

I was sitting there on the train, it was 8:00 am. I was still foggy from the sands of sleep. I dont carry any sort of device on my person, other than the most basic phone for emergency usage. So I had nothing to do but observe the situation around me. The train was almost completely occupied. It was mostly filled with ages 20-40 somethings, and everyone of them, I kid you not, every single person, had the touch screen device in front of their nose. Some had laptops as well as the handhelds. They all said nothing. The train was absolutely silent except for the white noise. It was like a dystopian sci-fi movie, every one plugged in, & kept sedated. I was having a completely surreal moment, it was freaking me out. I then noticed an elderly woman I had overlooked. She was the standard blue hair you all know, reading a book. A BOOK. As she was turning a page she caught eye contact with me and smiled. She was the only person on that train, who acknowledged the humans around her. Like a gentle dinosaur from a generation that is now faded, reading her book. An archaic an obsolete object, words of ink printed on plant fiber, read from left to right. It was an amazing & sad sight. I will never forget that morning.

montanadave
09-23-12, 17:24
Disaster averted. My wife just called and said she bought me a Samsung Convoy 2 (whatever that is) at the Verizon kiosk at the local shopping center.

So I don't have to go to the Verizon store after all. Suh-weet!

I love my wife!

chadbag
09-23-12, 18:19
Check out the motorola quantico which I think is VZW's network. I think you'd have to buy an unlocked one, and then have VZW put a sim card in it.

Except for LTE use, Verizon does not use SIM cards. That is a GSM/UMTS thing (and now LTE thing as I understand it).

You'd have to get them the numbers of the phone (all the ones under the battery or elsewhere on a sticker) for them to set it up on their network. For prepaid use they have a place on their website you can enter it in and they will set you up if they can.

--

chadbag
09-23-12, 18:22

It could be a BAY AREA thing :)

I've noticed similar things in Japan but for the people who aren't playing on their phones (touch or not -- Japan was a mobile phone culture long before the touch phones) are pretending to sleep to avoid having to acknowledge their fellow riders. Though I have a "touch device" and often check it when out and about, when riding the public transportation there I often spend most of the time watching the other riders...

(I don't ride public transportation here in Utah more than about once every other year so cannot speak from local experience)

-

Hmac
09-23-12, 18:56
Some interesting metrics, comparing iPhone 5 to Galaxy S3. Good performance, and apparently pretty durable.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6324/49989.png

http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-test-116898/

http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-5-drop-test.jpg

chadbag
09-24-12, 02:18
Some interesting metrics, comparing iPhone 5 to Galaxy S3. Good performance, and apparently pretty durable.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6324/49989.png

Of course, what they don't tell you is that the iPhone 4S upgraded to iOS 6 that is just under the top end Android handsets is doing that with an 800mhz dual core processor versus dual core 1.5ghz fort he US model G3 and the iPhone 5 that smokes even the international G3 quad core 1.4gz processor is a dual core approx 1ghz processor...

ETA: new testing ups the estimates of the iPhone 5 A6 processor to 1.29ghz which is still under the 1.4ghz quad core of the international G3 and the 1.5 of the US G3, both of which are beaten soundly.

--

SMETNA
09-24-12, 03:11
Disaster averted. My wife just called and said she bought me a Samsung Convoy 2 (whatever that is) at the Verizon kiosk at the local shopping center.

So I don't have to go to the Verizon store after all. Suh-weet!

I love my wife!

I got to this thread a bit late it seems.

I was going to say, if you want a super durable flip phone, get a Casio G'zone.

And I have a G'zone "rock" I could sell you for cheapie, because I'm switching to AT&T.

Have to re-install You Tube.

Fear not. The new third-party YouTube app is a massive improvement

jet80tv
09-25-12, 23:36
Galaxy SII w/ICS has been great for me. i had always been an apple fan boy but so many limitations when compared to a good android phone. no flash content on iphone, no non market app installation, no NFC, your hands are really tied by apple and itunes unless you jailbreak your iphone. hell, you cant even upload a pic to this forum directly from an iphones files.

Honu
09-26-12, 01:05
sounds like when we have to go to the mall (our kids are 3 and 8 so clothes shoes etc..)
and we watch the teen kids at the food circus ! when I was that age 30 some years ago :) we were chatting hanging out now its mostly kids texting each other ? and it looks like they are texting each other at the table ? cause they all kinda laugh at the same time etc.

so I can relate to the surreal moment !!! sometimes I almost feel like a movie scene where I am dead or they are ghosts or something ? cause nobody around has any clue of what is around them !!!!

lucky my 8 year old loves books so we do the library and she reads a lot of real books etc.. :)

They most likely would Honu.

SMETNA
09-26-12, 01:31
Galaxy SII w/ICS has been great for me. i had always been an apple fan boy but so many limitations when compared to a good android phone. no flash content on iphone, no non market app installation, no NFC, your hands are really tied by apple and itunes unless you jailbreak your iphone. hell, you cant even upload a pic to this forum directly from an iphones files.

1) Flash isn't supported on iOS because its resource-hogging, outdated garbage. That's like looking at a new car and being upset that it doesn't run on coal.

It plays embedded YouTube and .mov and various other QuickTime formats. With my iPod touch, I run into a video I can't watch, about once every two months. It's really not bad.

2) I have no issue with the exclusion of non-market apps. I like the fact that apple tests and approves apps. Personal preference.

3) no NFC, no big deal. It takes an extra 10 seconds to message/email someone a file. I don't need to "high-five" somebody a file. That's gay.

4) Ive never felt like my hands are tied by apple and iTunes. Again, personal preference.

5) you CAN upload pics directly to this forum with iOS. Using tapatalk:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/26/dapajube.jpg

Belmont31R
09-27-12, 22:01
sounds like when we have to go to the mall (our kids are 3 and 8 so clothes shoes etc..)
and we watch the teen kids at the food circus ! when I was that age 30 some years ago :) we were chatting hanging out now its mostly kids texting each other ? and it looks like they are texting each other at the table ? cause they all kinda laugh at the same time etc.

so I can relate to the surreal moment !!! sometimes I almost feel like a movie scene where I am dead or they are ghosts or something ? cause nobody around has any clue of what is around them !!!!

lucky my 8 year old loves books so we do the library and she reads a lot of real books etc.. :)

Kids at my twins elementary school have smart phones...

Belmont31R
09-27-12, 22:21
1) Flash isn't supported on iOS because its resource-hogging, outdated garbage. That's like looking at a new car and being upset that it doesn't run on coal.

It plays embedded YouTube and .mov and various other QuickTime formats. With my iPod touch, I run into a video I can't watch, about once every two months. It's really not bad.

2) I have no issue with the exclusion of non-market apps. I like the fact that apple tests and approves apps. Personal preference.

3) no NFC, no big deal. It takes an extra 10 seconds to message/email someone a file. I don't need to "high-five" somebody a file. That's gay.

4) Ive never felt like my hands are tied by apple and iTunes. Again, personal preference.

5) you CAN upload pics directly to this forum with iOS. Using tapatalk:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/26/dapajube.jpg

I like that google play tells you what authorizations each app comes with. Its crazy what some apps want to allow like looking at my phone log and sending that data back to them. Facebook is nuts and glad I don't use it anymore.

Being able to download custom ringtones and pictures to the phone via windows explorer is awesome. I just copy a ringtone to the right folder, and its on the phone. The samsung kies sucks but I can do all the same shit with connecting it to the computer, airdroid, and in the end managing files is no different than normal windows stuff. It took me 10 minutes to root my phone, install titanium back up, and I have a full phone back up I can transfer or store to any HD.

As the rest these companies are always one upping each other. When the S3 came out it trumped the 4s easily which was the current standard Iphone. Now the iphone has a few better marks, and apple fans are pointing to those few things. In a few months/early next year Android based phones will have something better on paper. The on paper thing is kind of pointless, too, when you take the OS as a factor as well. I LOVE how many more options I have with Android, and since its open source you can do so much more with it. Aside from the improvements Apple has made everything looks the exact same as the first iphone.

In the end, though, either is going to be a good phone.

Honu
09-27-12, 22:57
Kids at my twins elementary school have smart phones...

yeah insane we homeschool now
when she was in 1st grade and I would pick her up I would see gradeschool like 3rd grade kids get out of class whip out the phones and start going at it ????

insane !!!

my kids play with iPads and such but often its just fun games or we use them for homeschool a lot

no chatting no chat rooms etc..

but then again we make our kids write and mail letters thanking the grandparents for gifts they get so its not a total lost art !
same thing for Bday parties they can write the invites out :)

SMETNA
09-28-12, 07:51
In the end, though, either is going to be a good phone.

Yes. No fanboys here.

I was correcting a few common misconceptions is all.