PDA

View Full Version : TA33 vs. TA11 vs. SpecterDS

halmbarte
09-23-12, 14:24
Looking for a magnified optic for a 556 rifle. I need to be able to shoot (and hit) targets from 3 to 300 yards quickly. Weight and FOV are considerations, as is having a decent eye box and exit pupil.

I think I've narrowed down my possible optics choices to:

Trijicon TA33
Trijicon TA11
SpecterDS 1-4

If you've shot with these optics please talk about what you've liked and disliked, and if you've found anything better since you've shot with them. Comments like 'TA33 IS THE BESTORZS!!!' aren't real helpful.

H

Singlestack Wonder
09-23-12, 14:51
Do a search here for info on any of those optics and a wealth of information will become available.

halmbarte
09-23-12, 14:53
Do a search here for info on any of those optics and a wealth of information will become available.

That's how I came up with that list. Looking for feedback from people that have actually run those optics.

H

Failure2Stop
09-23-12, 15:31
If sub-50 is a serious need, then the Specter is "better", but the optic as a whole is a disappointment. An expensive disappointment.
I highly prefer a cost equivalent "traditional" 1-4/1-6 with a good reticle.

If you take away the close range/close range with a light criteria, both the TA11 and TA33 are good optics. I prefer the FOV and eye box of the TA11, but the form factor and usability of the 33 gives it a slight edge in my opinion.

Luckystiff
09-23-12, 20:34
Never used the Specter other than played with one at SHOT. I ran a TA-11 on my duty rifle from 1997 till 2001/2. About half of that time was on top of a carry handle. I love that scope. Having used the TA-33, I will only buy TA-33’s for my guns that I want an ACOG on. The savings in weight and size with longer eye relief than the TA-31 makes it a winner for me. The green horse shoe recital is my favorite. One way to make the TA-33 better in CQB/indoors is to put a flip down scope cap on the front. When in close range, particularly using bright white weapon mounted lights, close the cap and use both eyes open. Kind of like the old OEG, one eye sees the target, the other sees the reticule and your brain puts them together. Very fast and accurate for CQB and over comes the lost reticule issue that non-battery powered ACOG’s have in the dark with bright light on target. CQB in day light – just use the scope as usual with both eyes open. In the end all of them are good scopes so it’s not like you can really make a bad choice.