PDA

View Full Version : New M&P sights, now issues

zerocool
09-23-12, 15:14
I had new sights installed by a local M&P armorer, and right after the trigger seemed to "catch" and was not able to fully pull the trigger. The first red flag should have been the indication that he'd never installed sights on an M&P before... yes sights should be easy, and I did consider doing it myself to learn. In any case, it's not 100% consistent, but during my last range session I had one instance of a 'dead trigger', racking the slide solved the problem, but it still crops up even during dry fire. One other symptom of this is that pressing the trigger causes the slide to be pushed BACK (as in, towards me).

The question is, what could be causing this? I have the armorers manual and will be reading later tonight, but any pointers would be much appreciated. It's a bit of a drive to a reputable armorer, but I'd like to have some clue before dropping it off. Thank you in advance.

bdcheung
09-23-12, 15:28
Sounds like you're missing the disc that sits underneath the rear slide and atop the striker block plunger spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zerocool
09-23-12, 15:32
Thank you, I'll take a look later tonight... would this be something obvious if I field strip another M&P to compare? Or is more disassembly required?

bdcheung
09-23-12, 15:58
As you remove the rear sight, you should see the silver disc. You need to drift the rear sight almost all the way out (see where the plunger is for a reference) but it's pretty obvious if it's there or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zerocool
09-23-12, 17:00
Thank you again for the input, forgive my ignorance, but would this explain why it only intermittently would cause a malfunction?

I'm going to have to Google, Search, and YouTube a bit more before I start removing sights. I'm sure it's not overly complicated, and I'm mechanically inclined, but I want to know what I'm doing and don't want to cause more harm than good. I really appreciate the information.

TAZ
09-23-12, 17:54
Out of curiosity, how does one become an M&P armorer without having worked in a gun???

As has been pointed out, the striker block aka firing pin safety is located directly under the rear sight and is loaded for the top down. There is the actual safety that you can see from the under side of the slide and can push up into the slide with your finger. There is also small spring and metal disk and all are kept in place by the rear sight. I'm not aware of any other common design that does things this way and if your don't know or aren't careful the disk and spring can fly really far. Even knowing how the assembly was built I managed to send a disk flying when my hands slipped. It's possible that the inexperienced armorer sent the disk flying and just reassembled the slide as best as he could. Function check the striker block to see if it moves freely and is actually spring loaded. It could be binding if it has missing or randomly replaced springs or parts in the assembly. Could explain why it's intermittent.

C4IGrant
09-23-12, 18:19
Out of curiosity, how does one become an M&P armorer without having worked in a gun???

The answer is, you can't. ;) When you go through the M&P armorer class, you get a cert. So when you guys go to a gun store and they advise you that they are certified, ask to see the cert!

Keep in mind, there are VERY FEW M&P certs out there (as they only offer it to LE and LE dealer/distributors).

C4

zerocool
09-23-12, 19:25
Grant, where were you 1 week ago :D - I suppose sometimes you must learn the hard way, this seems to be my opportunity. Note to self, next time, just order from Grant with the sights installed...

StrikerFired
09-23-12, 20:52
Yep, learned that lesson the hard way myself. A "gunsmith" ruined my Trijicon HD front by putting the pusher right on the blade. Trijicon's awesome customer service has a replacement sight right out to me and also with a note on the invoice where to take it to be properly installed.

orionz06
09-24-12, 07:21
They may have screwed up the spring under the striker block as well, that would prevent the block from moving up and the trigger bar from moving rearward.

A fat fingered Bubba with tools is not your best bet to work on a gun, no matter how simple they really are.

Not sure how your area is but I found out recently since the recession/shitty economic period we are in now has had a lot of guys without work many have gone to "school" (used very loosely) to become "gunsmiths" (also used loosely) and consequently guys are out there who not long ago never knew which end of the wrench was which.

C4IGrant
09-24-12, 08:32
Not sure how your area is but I found out recently since the recession/shitty economic period we are in now has had a lot of guys without work many have gone to "school" (used very loosely) to become "gunsmiths" (also used loosely) and consequently guys are out there who not long ago never knew which end of the wrench was which.

Hadn't really thought about this much, but am seeing more and more gun shops opening up around me. One within walking distance has decided to get into building AR's (or what they think is building AR's). They have an 01 FFL (not an 07). :D

C4

zerocool
09-24-12, 08:39
At least now I know to ask to see the certification, lesson definitely learned. Which raises the question... any recommendations for armorer/gunsmith in southeastern PA? I'm weary of causing more harm than good in taking it apart at this point.

C4IGrant
09-24-12, 08:42
At least now I know to ask to see the certification, lesson definitely learned. Which raises the question... any recommendations for armorer/gunsmith in southeastern PA? I'm weary of causing more harm than good in taking it apart at this point.

I am not really familiar with who is knowledgeable in your State about the M&P, but orionz06 might be able to assist.

C4

IntenseImage
09-24-12, 09:30
How far are your from Allentown area? I have a sight too that works well on the M&P rear sight

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zerocool
09-24-12, 13:02
How far are your from Allentown area? I have a sight too that works well on the M&P rear sight

Not far from Allentown, if you know of a good 'smith or armorer, I'd appreciate the input.

Also, thanks Grant for the recommendation... I'll see what I can find out. I'll need a second 9c soon anyway and won't make the same mistake again (as you do stock the Trijicon HDs :D ).

C4IGrant
09-24-12, 13:05
Not far from Allentown, if you know of a good 'smith or armorer, I'd appreciate the input.

Also, thanks Grant for the recommendation... I'll see what I can find out. I'll need a second 9c soon anyway and won't make the same mistake again (as you do stock the Trijicon HDs :D ).

When you order a Glock or M&P from us, we will install any sights you buy for free. ;)

C4

IntenseImage
09-24-12, 14:07

No decent smith but we can use the tool to check if all parts are accounted for. Also, pull the slide off and check that the Striker Blocker depresses smoothly

jbecker
09-24-12, 18:30
The Handgunner in Topton is good to go for gunsmiths. And he's not that far from Allentown.

zerocool
09-24-12, 22:44
When you order a Glock or M&P from us, we will install any sights you buy for free. ;)

C4

This I know, hence my current state of regret :) . I'll be rectifying this situation by placing an order this weekend with G&R (hopefully you'll have the 9c in stock still).