PDA

View Full Version : PRS Stock Problem Fix, Phase 1

stevegun 1
09-24-12, 00:19
My friend Jerry, has a beautiful new 6.5 Grendel with a PRS on it. While recently helping him (I sat, spotted, advised and kidded) break in the barrel he noticed something going wrong with his rear bag set up. The sliding cover on the bottom rear of the stock was moving forward during recoil.

Even though we were just "breaking in" the barrel, we were interested in seeing how well the Wolff 120 Gold would shoot during the process, pretty good as it turned out. Bench rest people know better than I how critical consistent bag set up is to accuracy.

I was surprised to find that a stock that cost as much as it does did not have a latch on the cover. This was the first PRS that I've seen up close.

The following is a small plunger assembly that I designed and built to hold the cover in place until one wants access.

Here's a link to the pictures (thanks Slvr Surfr). http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u474/stevegun1/

I put a "through" hole in the "rail" on the bottom of the stock and this can bee seen on both halves of the stock with the plunger. Picture 3

This shows both halves reassembled minus the butt plate, cover about to close. Picture 2

Cover closed. Picture 4

Stock complete and reassembled. Picture 1

I glued the plunger into one half of the stock for security and ease of assembly. There's two changes I'll make to the next one. I hope you all enjoyed my project, I think Jerry is happy with the work. One needs a lathe and a mill to do this right, IMHO.

I believe this is a good place to "showcase" my solution to a problem that might not exist, but we/I couldn't get past the "cool" part of the idea. If someone would like this modification to thier PRS let me know.

Kickin-Ewoks
09-24-12, 07:34
OR; contact Magpul and they will take care of the issue, because they have excellent customer service. You don't need a lathe or mill to contact Magpul.

stevegun 1
09-24-12, 18:31
I'm a bit new to this and I get "upload failed" when trying to upload photos to this post. There is a complete post on LR Hunting with photos. Can anyone help?

Slvr Surfr
09-24-12, 20:16
Upload your pics to a picture hosting site like Photobucket or flicker then copy the link of the pic in your post.

stevegun 1
09-25-12, 18:21
Thanks Slvr Surfr, link works great!

stevegun 1
10-01-12, 18:20
OR; contact Magpul and they will take care of the issue, because they have excellent customer service. You don't need a lathe or mill to contact Magpul.

Kickin, can you suggest any possible way that Magpul Customer Service could resolve this design problem? I'm very interested to read what you think they could do. This was my solution, perhaps not the best, but the first one that popped into my mind. Maybe they will send the customer a new stock once the cover shoots loose and a new one each time after that. Steve

AnCapMan
10-01-12, 21:32
I like your fix good ingenuity.

I only hope you will now cover the voided magpul warranty for your friend.

702Shooter
10-02-12, 00:43
I've used a couple of PRS's and have never experienced the issue you are describing. However, they were different caliber builds. If this is truly an issue and not just an out of spec cover or the like then you've got a good idea here. Gluing it may not be the best option though. Have you considered building it into a rail mount instead? It would remove easier if you ever want to install a monopod.

I realize the cover goes over the sides of the rail so you would need to have it lock into the groove instead of the side. If a warranty issue ever came into play you would just remove the mount & cover and send in the stock. If the warranty issue is with the cover and you've drilled it, I'm thinking Magpul would probably have extras available.

Thanks for sharing this. :)

Stickman
10-02-12, 01:39
They are usually very tight, that being said, if one was so loose that it was causing me great angst, I would have just pulled it off and thrown it in my bag.

702Shooter
10-02-12, 01:45
They are usually very tight...

Yes they are. Makes me wonder if it's not a legit Magpul stock.

Duffy
10-02-12, 09:48
Both my AR15 and AR10 version are tight, I had to use a screw driver to pry them loose.

I thought about getting rid of it, but it does provide a "toe" for the support hand to hold on to better than if it weren't there.

I use the AR15 PRS on my AR10, the AR15 PRS's cheek piece is more usable, and I don't need to raise it to the point it would impede the charging handle. With AR10 recoil, that little cover never came loose.

stevegun 1
10-04-12, 23:06
I like your fix good ingenuity.

I only hope you will now cover the voided magpul warranty for your friend.

What warranty problem could occure to this stock that would require it to be returned to magpul that was not field repairable?

stevegun 1
10-04-12, 23:27
Yes they are. Makes me wonder if it's not a legit Magpul stock.

Magpul for sure! Who's making the "non-legit" rip offs?

stevegun 1
10-04-12, 23:29
They are usually very tight, that being said, if one was so loose that it was causing me great angst, I would have just pulled it off and thrown it in my bag.

The down side to that is that the "rail" will not ride a bag or your hand very well.

stevegun 1
10-19-12, 15:38
:dirol:Really, no further thoughts or responses?

eesmith4
10-19-12, 18:13
Kickin, can you suggest any possible way that Magpul Customer Service could resolve this design problem? I'm very interested to read what you think they could do. This was my solution, perhaps not the best, but the first one that popped into my mind. Maybe they will send the customer a new stock once the cover shoots loose and a new one each time after that. Steve

I think the stock cover was probably just a touch out of spec, I've never seen or heard of this problem before. I doubt it can be chalked up to a "design flaw".

Mine is so tight it needs a screwdriver to pry it off, if it ever shoots loose(and I've put several thousand rounds through this one) I'd either put some kind of shim in there(like maybe teflon tape) or just glue the damn thing on.

Nice work however, just probably a bit overkill for the problem.

stevegun 1
10-20-12, 09:29
Nice work however, just probably a bit overkill for the problem.

Thanks for the compliment, that's me for sure, "overkill". Just did a second one for a guy from another forum, I hope he likes it as well as my friend Jerry. It should be back in his home state by Monday.