PDA

View Full Version : Legal question regarding lower receivers

meatwaggon
09-24-12, 04:13
While I know that the "lower receiver" is the legal part of the gun, does this refer specifically to just the frame with the serial number stamp, or to the entire, complete lower? For example, if I was ever obligated to turn in my AR for whatever reason, could I strip everything down to just the frame and remove everything else including the trigger group, stock, buffer tube/spring, safety, BAD, and grip?

Reagans Rascals
09-24-12, 04:19
While I know that the "lower receiver" is the legal part of the gun, does this refer specifically to just the frame with the serial number stamp, or to the entire, complete lower? For example, if I was ever obligated to turn in my AR for whatever reason, could I strip everything down to just the frame and remove everything else including the trigger group, stock, buffer tube/spring, safety, BAD, and grip?

yes.... just the physical chunk of machined Aluminum is the registered part... and in fact... it only becomes a "registerable" item once the pocket for the fire control is machined from the block and the pin holes are drilled...

hence... you can legally purchase 80% receivers that haven't had the fire control group pocket milled out or the pin holes drilled, and therefore are essentially nothing more than a paper weight... and can be bought and sold like a pair of underwear...

but once the fire control pocket is machined and the holes are drilled, it is then considered a "firearm" and is to be regulated... however; you are still legally able to purchase an 80% complete lower, finish machining and drilling it to 100% and use it as a personal firearm, and thus it would be unregistered and therefore unless you were caught doing something with it in your possession or they raided your house... there would be no record of you having it and thus no forced collection of said receiver by "they"

so to answer your question.... if for some asinine reason you are required to submit your weapon to a higher power, and it does not fall into the category of evidence, then I would assume you'd only need to turn in the stripped lower.... where, when, why, or how this would ever occur is beyond me... but to each their own...

hope that answers it

jesuvuah
09-24-12, 06:08
As was already mentioned, just the lower itself is the legal firearm. That being said, if "they" ever wanted to start collecting guns they may change the legal terms on that.

Dan46n2
09-24-12, 06:34
Without serial numbers on the rest of the gun however it would be hard for "them" to keep track of... What a PITA that would be if we needed to go though an FFL for an upper :(

500grains
09-24-12, 07:20
Norway regulates the upper, the barrel and the lower. You need a license for a new barrel or a different upper. And yes it is a PITA.

markm
09-24-12, 07:40
Are we turning into ARFcom? :rolleyes:

Iraqgunz
09-24-12, 09:08
Let's go not start off with shenanigans like this. If you're worried about a ban turn it now and save yourself the headache.