PDA

View Full Version : Some Answers to the S&W VTAC II

FIRST TIME
09-24-12, 10:33
S&W on their VTAC II.
First response to questions you folks have been asking from S&W. was Everything Is mil-spec. Second response with the specifics you guy's were wondering about " It's Propietary ". I then went a different route. Right to Viking Tactical. <lamb@vikingtactics.com. The first responder was from Carlos Eguia. I laid out most of the questions that were asked about spec. issues. I then recieved an email signed " KYLE " this is the content of his reply.
John

Great questions. I will try to help.

Melonite is more uniform than chrome and gives better accuracy and we feel in the testing that the melonite added to barrel life.
Bolt is MP tested.
Barrel is not HP tested.
Gas Key is properly staked.
Pins are tapered, in fact they are placed in a fixture and drilled then pins installed at the same time.
Barrels are made by Thompson Center, which is owned by S&W.

Hope this helps, it is a great package.Sorry for the road blocks at S&W, I don't get that either.

Kyle

There was not response to the question of the finish on the VTAC II or shot peening. I had never questioned the use of Melonite. I hope this helps.
John

jesuvuah
09-24-12, 10:39
interesting

FIRST TIME
09-24-12, 10:54
Is Thompson Cener known for good barrel's. I think this would be there first attempt at a SA AR barrel. I know nothing about them except for their single shot long barreled pistols and black powder rifles.