PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Arms M90 Price?

jdk32581
09-24-12, 14:50
I found someone selling a Mitchell arms m90. It looks to be in 99% condition. Possibly unfired from what I can tell. What is a good price for this rifle?

http://i46.tinypic.com/inwcwm.jpg

SteyrAUG
09-24-12, 16:05
I "believe" A M90 is a post 89 compliance import sporter.

It looks as if this one has been returned to preban configuration but likely lacks a bayo lug and muzzle threads or a muzzle device has been permanently mounted.

Can't tell exactly from the pics obviously.

A true preban Kassner import can go from $1500-2000 depending upon condition. Yugo imports are extremely well made and generally compete with Polytechs as one of the more desirable early AKs.

A reconfigured sporter would probably be worth $1000-1200 depending upon exactly what was done with it.

Doc. Holiday
09-24-12, 17:50
Jeez Steyr, you think that you would be an expert with AK's or something... ;)

SteyrAUG
09-24-12, 19:17
Jeez Steyr, you think that you would be an expert with AK's or something... ;)

Scary what I've learned ain't it?

I honestly don't consider myself an "expert" on AKs, but I've managed to learn quite a bit along the way.

Redmanfms
09-24-12, 19:54
I "believe" A M90 is a post 89 compliance import sporter.

It looks as if this one has been returned to preban configuration but likely lacks a bayo lug and muzzle threads or a muzzle device has been permanently mounted.

Can't tell exactly from the pics obviously.

A true preban Kassner import can go from $1500-2000 depending upon condition. Yugo imports are extremely well made and generally compete with Polytechs as one of the more desirable early AKs.

A reconfigured sporter would probably be worth $1000-1200 depending upon exactly what was done with it.

The Kassnar is not Yugo, it's Hungarian. The Yugo rifles differ from AKMs (like the SA-85M) in a number of ways, they use RPK receivers, use different furniture, and don't have chrome-lined barrels. Many people (myself included) find the stock awkward and uncomfortable to shoot.

The Mitchell M-90s are post-'89. Steyr's price range is about right, $1000-$1200, with the underfolders bringing $1200-$1500 (or so). A very small number of pre-'89 M70s (which is what this rifle actually is, Mitchell re-stenciled them M90) were imported by Mitchell and they command more.

SteyrAUG
09-24-12, 20:18
The Kassnar is not Yugo, it's Hungarian. The Yugo rifles differ from AKMs (like the SA-85M) in a number of ways, they use RPK receivers, use different furniture, and don't have chrome-lined barrels. Many people (myself included) find the stock awkward and uncomfortable to shoot.

Shit, you're right. I got them mixed up with the FEGs. Thanks for the catch.

The Mitchell M-90s are post-'89. Steyr's price range is about right, $1000-$1200, with the underfolders bringing $1200-$1500 (or so). A very small number of pre-'89 M70s (which is what this rifle actually is, Mitchell re-stenciled them M90) were imported by Mitchell and they command more.

The rear push button for the top cover told me they were Yugos but I confused them with the Hungarians. Too many ****ing AKs to keep straight. I'm assuming the M90s were imported in a thumbhole stock config?

:D

Redmanfms
09-24-12, 20:40
The rear push button for the top cover told me they were Yugos but I confused them with the Hungarians. Too many ****ing AKs to keep straight. I'm assuming the M90s were imported in a thumbhole stock config?

:D

No, they were imported in M70 state but got caught in customs when the '89 ban came down. The rifles were neutered to the liking of the BATF (though how I'm not entirely sure) and released for sale in 1994.

jdk32581
09-24-12, 22:34
Wow.... Lots of great info. I know a decent amount about AKs but had never heard of a mitchell arms.

Here are some more pics if it helps

http://i50.tinypic.com/33pedz9.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2a0cdja.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/22kxz.jpg

SteyrAUG
09-24-12, 23:21
The M prefix really should have tipped me off given all the CAI M70s floating around. Redmanfms is dead on with his ID, you can even see the beefed up receiver in your recent pics.

Not sure exactly what was done for compliance but it looks very much like an intact bayo lug. I'm ASSUMING the flash hider has been replaced although I have no idea how a birdcage makes it more compliant than a slant brake.

The electro pencil markings are obvious (and that was my major clue as to post ban status along with the "90" number) but other than that I'm not seeing a lot of differences between that and what would be a preban.

Looks like correct (possibly original to the firearm) Yugo furniture.

Except for the non chrome barrel (as is correct for a Yugo) it would be a very desirable AK variant. So if you are looking for a collectible (and in this case even a postban is sorta rare) this would be a fine addition.

jdk32581
09-25-12, 00:30
The M prefix really should have tipped me off given all the CAI M70s floating around. Redmanfms is dead on with his ID, you can even see the beefed up receiver in your recent pics.

Not sure exactly what was done for compliance but it looks very much like an intact bayo lug. I'm ASSUMING the flash hider has been replaced although I have no idea how a birdcage makes it more compliant than a slant brake.

The electro pencil markings are obvious (and that was my major clue as to post ban status along with the "90" number) but other than that I'm not seeing a lot of differences between that and what would be a preban.

Looks like correct (possibly original to the firearm) Yugo furniture.

Except for the non chrome barrel (as is correct for a Yugo) it would be a very desirable AK variant. So if you are looking for a collectible (and in this case even a postban is sorta rare) this would be a fine addition.

The birdcage in the second picture of the new batch of uploaded pics does appear to have a different finish. Receiver does look beefy. The furniture in my non-expert opinion does look to be original (aged look).

Thanks for all your input. After checking completed listings on GB prices are all over the place. All seemed to have the electro pencil M90 with the RPK47 marking removed.

jdk32581
09-25-12, 00:51
After looking more closely on GB, all models labeled as preban and bringing a high price have a slant brake. I was unable to find any rifles with a birdcage. They also have the RPK47 marking intact. Furniture is all over the place with different types and finishes. If the evil slant brake and threads were removed during the ban why would the bayo lug be intact? Also if the slant brake and threads were removed that would have to mean that someone re-threaded the barrel and added the birdcage? I am no expert and this is kind of confusing. Gonna keep researching........

jdk32581
09-25-12, 02:18
FWIW
"Basically these were pre 89 guns caught in customs when the ban went into effect........to get them out and be able to sell them, Mitchell and ATF came to a agreement to bring them up to the then new current regs.......Mitchell scrubbed the original AK-47 + RPK-47 markings which were banned by name....and replaced with " m-90" - model 90.......they also had to remove original stock sets , pin flash hiders in place, remove nite sites, shave sides of bayonet lug...The original stock sets were usually included in the box and were later approved by the ATF to put them back on the gun- There is a letter somewhere online attesting to this .....Great guns i have a Few M90 mitchells , and a bunch of the pre 89 ones as well........ Essentially same gun...... You cannot compare these to the current kit guns/U.S. builds......"

Could not load the ATF letter because I am not a member of that forum but here is the link-

Found this in this thread- http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?249755-Mitchell-Arms-M90-Letter-Certificate

SteyrAUG
09-25-12, 02:30
FWIW
"Basically these were pre 89 guns caught in customs when the ban went into effect........to get them out and be able to sell them, Mitchell and ATF came to a agreement to bring them up to the then new current regs.......Mitchell scrubbed the original AK-47 + RPK-47 markings which were banned by name....and replaced with " m-90" - model 90.......they also had to remove original stock sets , pin flash hiders in place, remove nite sites, shave sides of bayonet lug...The original stock sets were usually included in the box and were later approved by the ATF to put them back on the gun- There is a letter somewhere online attesting to this .....Great guns i have a Few M90 mitchells , and a bunch of the pre 89 ones as well........ Essentially same gun...... You cannot compare these to the current kit guns/U.S. builds......"

Could not load the ATF letter because I am not a member of that forum but here is the link-

Found this in this thread- http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?249755-Mitchell-Arms-M90-Letter-Certificate

That explains quite a bit.

This can be a problem with rare AKs. If you have a Polytech pretty much every collector knows everything important about it, even the rare variants. But give them a GSAD import that is virtually the same rifle and they often don't even know what it is.

jdk32581
09-25-12, 03:01
Found this completed listing on GB. It has some type of flash hider not sure which kind. Here is the link but you must be signed into GB to view this page (I think)- http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=302139034

Also found this thread which is about an M90 underfolder that seems to have some good info.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_89/132367_Mitchell_M90_Underfolder.html

The flash hider pictured above is just a A2 style bird cage correct?

Doc. Holiday
09-25-12, 09:06
Wow.... Lots of great info. I know a decent amount about AKs but had never heard of a mitchell arms.

Diddo, it's a nice rifle! The only turn off for me would be the huge lettering of SAFE and FIRE.

SteyrAUG
09-25-12, 11:25
The flash hider pictured above is just a A2 style bird cage correct?

Except that it would have to be threaded for 14x1LH.