PDA

View Full Version : which round for zeroing

kishke
09-24-12, 19:56
I am a new member and did a search on this topic but could not find what I was looking for. I`m sure it has been brought up, but don`t want to be redundant.

Do I use the round that I have that is most accurate/expensive based on reviews, or do I use the round that I will be using at the range most often.

I have zeroed it at 50yds and have been getting ok results, but I am going to re-zero.

I zeroed it originally with bi-pod, but now want to re-zero with a better platform (i.e.) sandbags and rear rest

Thanks for your assistance

S. Galbraith
09-24-12, 20:02
At 50 yards, you won't see much of a difference between most bullet weights/velocties. Now if you are shooting at 200yrds or more, you will see a difference between them. Pick what you intend to use either in competition or defense.

currahee
09-24-12, 20:04
I zero with XM193 because it's what I stock for possible social purposes.

I train and shoot matches with Wolf or reloads it seems close enough. At least I can hit the 12" gong at 300.

jbo723
09-24-12, 20:15
I zero with what I use the most, which is 55grn FMJ ammo. I do take note of the POI change with my defense ammo and it's minimal at 50yds..

ST911
09-24-12, 21:33
Do you carry this rifle for duty/defensive purposes? If so, zero with your intended carry ammo. Then, learn the deviations for other loads you use. If you zero at 50yds and keep your shooting distances 0-200, your deviations will be fairly minimal. They will be more pronounced as you stretch out.

You could also average your zero between 2 or more loads to limit need for adjustment.

I prefer to zero a working carbine without the use of a bipod, bags, or rests. Go prone, monopod the mag, hunker down behind the gun, and shoot.

See many previous threads about zero practices and procedures otherwise.

kishke
09-24-12, 22:02
Thanks for all of your input!

warpigM-4
09-25-12, 16:38
I zeroed with 62 GR M855 that is my main stash and it the same i zeroed with in the military with the 14.5 Barrel which I have on my go to weapon