PDA

View Full Version : First build

Delmonte67
09-24-12, 22:41
Totally new member here, looking to build my first AR, where to start, is there a newbie forum someone can steer me to? Thanks D.

polymorpheous
09-24-12, 22:54
Very few on this forum will advocate building your 1st AR15.
With all of the specialized tools, plus the cost of QUALITY parts, you will be much better of purchasing a new one from a reputable vendor.

I suggest a Colt or Bravo Co. (BCM) purchased from gandrtactical.com

Delmonte67
09-24-12, 23:08
I kinda figured that, but thought by building one myself I could save some cost, Ive bought 3 guns already this year, just put over $300 dollars into a Sub2000 just in a new rail. So slowly building one this winter seemed like a great idea so the boss (my wife) wouldn't notice that much- lol. Thanks for the heads up!

Krusty783
09-25-12, 09:09
Well, if you're somewhat handy you can build your first AR. There are several ar building guides to be had easily around the interweb - brownells, guides on ar15.com and Midway usa even. You can buy a stripped lower receiver and then buy a lower parts kit from brownells or RRA or lots of other places and install the parts. Then you can buy an upper from anywhere and pin it to the lower and have yourself an AR.:D

:stop:However, Poly is correct in that you will have to purchase ~$150 in tools to assemble the parts, unless you have friends with the tools already. And, if you buy cheaper parts it's not terribly uncommon to end up with a franken-rifle that does not function reliably.

You probably won't end up saving a lot unless you wait and buy pieces when they're on sale. In fact, you might end up spending a lot more with all the accessories and options out there.

Delmonte67
09-25-12, 10:15
Thanks Krusty, thought it might be cool to build myself, not realising the extra cost of specialty tools ect.. I will look around for a quality rifle for the best price.

polymorpheous
09-25-12, 10:28
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-LWC

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COAR6720.aspx

crusader377
09-25-12, 10:48
I kinda figured that, but thought by building one myself I could save some cost, Ive bought 3 guns already this year, just put over $300 dollars into a Sub2000 just in a new rail. So slowly building one this winter seemed like a great idea so the boss (my wife) wouldn't notice that much- lol. Thanks for the heads up!

I would sell the Sub2000 and using the proceeds from that to fund a factory rifle either a Colt or BCM.

Delmonte67
09-25-12, 11:05
Colt Model 6720 Lightweight 16" Carbine looks like a nice rifle, especially for the price. Looks like it comes with a magpul buttstock which I like. Just bought a S&
W MP. 22 MOE version and the Magpul extras just made the rifle that much better. I love this rifle for plinking. That was another thought before this purchase, instead of buying a dedicated 22 should I buy an AR and just buy an .22 upper later. Oh well still love the M&P 22. Thanks for the links! That Colt is sweet!

Krusty783
09-25-12, 11:13
I would sell the Sub2000 and using the proceeds from that to fund a factory rifle either a Colt or BCM.

Ditto; however we're all partial to certain firearms.:dirol:

Note: There are other quality manufacturers besides Colt and BCM, but they are two of the favorites around here. If you just want a reliable plinker, I would suggest looking at RRA (Rock River Arms). They aren't the best but are competitive price-wise and you could do worse.

Check out this thread for a great comparison chart of the different commercial offerings: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82739

It links to a google spreadsheet that lists basically all of the main players in the industry and compares the features like:
- Feed ramps, which are cutouts that ease feeding of rounds from the mag. Some companies only cut partial ramps, some cut full depth.
-Steel type(s) used.
-Chrome Lined barrel & chamber.
-Staked Gas key (the gas key absorbs the force of the re-directed gas and blows the bolt back. If the bolts holding it down aren't staked it can come loose.)
-Inspection procedures, and other features that I don't remember off the top of my head and work has the file blocked, so I can't see the spreadsheet.

ARs are kinda like cars. Most brands are okay, some are great and some brands habitually spit out lemons...

Delmonte67
09-25-12, 12:25
As far as the Sub 2000 40 cal. goes- its a keeper for me, I have over $700 in it- I would never get out of it as much as I put in. The Red Lion Forend and AR style front sight was kinda pricey plus most would find it to be a cheap plastic gun even though I upgraded it. They are very hard to find right now, and I love that I can fold it to 16" and shove it in a gymbag, it really is a fun gun to shoot and with the Red Dot it is really accurate and it uses magazines from my Glocks. The Colt looks like a great start, Im gonna check out the links for sure- I appreciate all the help fellas!