PDA

View Full Version : BCM LW 14.5" & Rail Questions

Wolvee
09-25-12, 00:21
I just ordered a BCM 14.5" LW upper and I'm curious about a few things.
BCM-URG-MID-14LW-BFH (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-LW-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw-bfh.htm)

I'm thinking of the 13" Troy Alpha rail. Most of what I've read about them has been good. Do any of you have a specific thought about this rail or have a suggestion for another?

Will that rail work without modifying or changing the gas block that comes on that upper?

Will my new BCM upper come with the flash suppressor already pinned and welded? I have a SF 212A I want to use.

Leonidas24
09-25-12, 00:43
The upper will come equipped with a F-marked FSB. You'll need to shave this down in order to use the 13" rail you were inquiring about.

If you ordered the rifle with a pinned and welded muzzle device (i.e. paid extra for certain device,) then yes, your gun will come with one attached. But if you ordered the upper with a standard A2 configuration (NFA) then you'll be able to use your SF 212A. Bear in mind that you'll need to have your muzzle device pinned to bring the barrel to an overall 16".

Wolvee
09-25-12, 00:50
Great thanks for the info.

TehLlama
09-25-12, 12:39
They offer the 556MB as a pinned muzzle device, so it's probably worth asking if you can get it with the FH instead.

Another handguard worth considering would be the Centurion C4 rail - another great option to install down the road on pinned muzzle device carbines, and a really solid rail.

Wolvee
09-25-12, 12:45
Getting BCM to answer emails or phone calls is like paying for an Afghan hooker in the middle of Compton. I ordered the upper and figured I'd figure it out after I have it.

They offer the 556MB as a pinned muzzle device, so it's probably worth asking if you can get it with the FH instead.

Another handguard worth considering would be the Centurion C4 rail - another great option to install down the road on pinned muzzle device carbines, and a really solid rail.

Dsully
09-25-12, 12:56
Wolvee,

I've got a 16" with the 13" rail and 2 14.5"s with the 13.5" noveske nsr rail. I like the noveske much better. Let me know if you want to see pictures. They are on MGO

HKBanger
09-25-12, 15:55
Getting BCM to answer emails or phone calls is like paying for an Afghan hooker in the middle of Compton. I ordered the upper and figured I'd figure it out after I have it.

Really? BCM has always replied to my e-mails (which has been many different inquiries) within 24 hours or so, excluding the weekends, of course. Most of the time, I have a response within a couple of hours even.

You'll be happy with your BCM upper, no doubt.

C45P312
09-25-12, 16:52
Wolvee,

I've got a 16" with the 13" rail and 2 14.5"s with the 13.5" noveske nsr rail. I like the noveske much better. Let me know if you want to see pictures. They are on MGO

I was just looking at the same exact setup as the OP.

BCM 14.5 LW + TROY 13in alpha

This NSR rail intrigues me.

Dsully
09-25-12, 16:56
One on right is the Troy Alpha 13" on 16" barrel
2 in middle are NSR 13.5" on 14.5" barrels
Left is 10.5" Larue on 11.5" barrel

http://walkingheavy.com/arbuild/bunch.jpg

Wolvee
09-25-12, 18:35
Those look great Dsully. I had decided to just stick with the MOE midlength HG since this is going to come with a front site but now that I'm looking at yours, I think I should just go ahead and do it.

I thought the upper was supposed to be here today but it was a no show. Maybe tomorrow.

Dsully
09-25-12, 18:42
Those look great Dsully. I had decided to just stick with the MOE midlength HG since this is going to come with a front site but now that I'm looking at yours, I think I should just go ahead and do it.

I thought the upper was supposed to be here today but it was a no show. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks man. Not sure if you said you weren't in Michigan right now but if you are, you're more them welcome to shoot them at my range any time.

Wolvee
09-25-12, 18:53
Thanks man. Not sure if you said you weren't in Michigan right now but if you are, you're more them welcome to shoot them at my range any time.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that sometime we come back for a visit.

TacticalSledgehammer
09-25-12, 22:28
I mounted the exact combo for my father in law. If you shave down the fsb, the rustoleum 2000 degree engine paint looks identical to BCM's finish. I prefer the older trx vs the alpha as far as installation goes (I think I'm the only one who does)