PDA

View Full Version : Can it be done?

halmbarte
09-25-12, 18:38
Can someone spec out the parts to build me a AR with:

1) Free floating barrel.
2) Monolithic upper receiver with rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.
3) Adjustable gas regulator.
4) Forward gas piston.
5) Folding front and rear iron sights.
6) Adjustable LOP and cheek rise stock.
7) Make it ambidextrous.

Oh yeah, try to keep the weight under 8lbs and the cost under $2500.

H

lethal dose
09-25-12, 18:42
LMT???

Stickman
09-25-12, 18:43

1) Free floating barrel.
4) Forward gas piston.
7) Make it ambidextrous.

H

Why would you try to have someone else do the work for you?

MistWolf
09-25-12, 18:46
Sorry bub. That's gonna take some research, enough I'd have to charge a consultation fee and you can't afford me. But I'll throw you a couple of free fish to help you along-

A monolithic upper is free float
You need to ask yourself seriously if you need quad rails, or the op-rod piston upper and whether or not either are worth the extra weight, complexity and cost

halmbarte
09-25-12, 18:49
Why would you try to have someone else do the work for you?

How many possible combinations of: uppers X barrels X stocks X piston systems...

There have to be 10,000s (if not more) of possible solutions. I was hoping some here had already built up such a AR and knew the weight and how much they had into it.

lethal dose
09-25-12, 18:51
What they said. Good chance a piston gun is a poor investment for you. Search. Read. Post.

amd5007
09-25-12, 18:56
This (http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtAdvancedPistonSystem.aspx).

AKDoug
09-25-12, 19:04
I suggest you head over to the custom build section and start reading. I'm several hours of computer time into spec'ing out my son's AR already.

amd5007 nailed it above. That Colt can be had for $1600 or less. Leaving you $900 to add whatever stock and crap you want.

mkmckinley
09-25-12, 19:41
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_SCAR

mkmckinley
09-25-12, 19:41
double post

justin_247
09-25-12, 20:19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_SCAR

+1

Otherwise, I'd go with an LMT MRP Piston upper (~$1500), AXTS AX556 full-ambi lower (~$430), G&R Tactical LPK with receiver extension parts and grip (~$180), LaRue Tactical RISR/CTR combo stock (~$140), Troy flip-up BUIS (~$200).

That's just short of $2500.

Sounds ridiculous, honestly.

Casull
09-25-12, 21:56
Honestly it doesn't sound like you've done the proper reading unless you have some legit reasoning behind your build idea. Please share that.

I advise you research each part yourself so you learn what's really best for you. We all have our own needs and ideas and they seldom include a piston.

Make sure not listen to TV shows that tell you a piston is such a big deal, too.

The closest things that you can get that are sounding like what you're talking about would be a Colt APC, or an LWRC SPR of sorts since their rifles are self regulated gas with monolithic uppers on some rifles (if not now then soon) and then there's the LMT MRP like justin_247 mentioned.

halmbarte
09-25-12, 22:20
This (http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtAdvancedPistonSystem.aspx).

I didn't know those existed.

Thanks!

H

Mauser KAR98K
09-25-12, 22:26
How many possible combinations of: uppers X barrels X stocks X piston systems...

There have to be 10,000s (if not more) of possible solutions. I was hoping some here had already built up such a AR and knew the weight and how much they had into it.

The Drake equation for the AR.

MrRightWing
09-25-12, 22:38
Half the fun in a custom build is finding all the parts you want. Why in the world would you want to skip that!?

09-25-12, 23:11
Dude I hate to say this but you need to consider:

1. What do you want the weapon for (firearms are tools)?
2. What quality parts do you want/need to meet that requirement?
3. What's your budget?
4. What's your skill level?
5. How much time/effort are you willing to apply to learning to use your weapon?

Merle
09-25-12, 23:18
By the power of Grayskull, by golly, it can be done.

Alex V
09-26-12, 13:18
I found that a major fun part of building my own rifles was spending the time to find the products I wanted to use...

If you are going to build a gun, why not spend some time online looking up the parts. You know best what you want.

midSCarolina
09-26-12, 13:43
The LMT MRP is really close to this if you get the gas piston model. I personally own the 10.5" DI but for you I would take a look at the 12.5" gas piston. It does only have an "on/off" so if you really want to go full adjustable you would have to get a noveske barrel with switch-block and have it converted to the MRP configuration. Pricey but it would still fall in your budget. You might have to buy the upper and lower separately but LMT does make an ambi lower.

I think that it is something you could easily do yourself in that budget. If you don't have the time, give the money to a trusted friend or associate and have them take the time to do it.

I would do it but I am not particularly well established around here so I don't think that would help.

I am confused to whether you want an actual brand or someone just to CNC something for you custom (which I would not know the price point for). I do know that there was that legal issue where Mega was stopping production of monolithics due to LMT's patent so LMT might be the only option here.

Koshinn
09-26-12, 13:51

1) Free floating barrel.
4) Forward gas piston.
7) Make it ambidextrous.

H

FN SCAR or Bushmaster/Remington ACR.

Otherwise, something like what TRIDENT runs, but with the LMT piston system instead of DI. Which is a LMT upper on a KAC SR-15 lower. But an AXTS AX556 would also work.

bobsolla
09-26-12, 13:55
while most these guys are not fans of gas pistons(probably because they never personally shot or owned the right setup),i`am and would steer you towards an adcor defense bear elite upper.these are a proprietary upper that i think would come closest to your requirements.i personally own one with a 16" barrel and will tell you this piston upper is the real deal!not one problem period!mag dump it over and over,put it in mud,sand,dirt,or water and it always fires!it is truly free floated.the hand rail isn`t monolithic though.it is a truly nice rail setup(two piece).it uses a fn barrel(chrome lined,hammer forged).no carrier tilt(op rod is titanium attached to a chrome bcg with built in dust cover and has extra power extractor spring and o-ring,and chromed bolt).then decide what you want for the rest of your build.i hope this helps!p.s the gas system is also easily adjusted with it`s front adjustable piston.

Koshinn
09-26-12, 13:59
Actually this is everything he wants in one package besides a Larue RISR:

http://www.lwrci.com/p-290-m6-individual-carbine.aspx#inf-tabs

midSCarolina
09-26-12, 15:23

While I do agree that the LWRC you pointed out is an extremely badass weapon, their IC models are not truly monolithic. There is an extension of the upper receiver that connects to a proprietary rail. The forward part of the hand-guard can be removed so I don't think that is exactly what he wants.

That being said, I do love some LWRC

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/LWRC2-1.jpg

halmbarte
09-26-12, 15:26

Looks decent at first glance but...

Spiral fluting?

Really?

What is the deal with the spiral flutes?

H

Merle
09-26-12, 18:00
Looks decent at first glance but...

Spiral fluting?

Really?

What is the deal with the spiral flutes?

H

Probably the same reason KAC does the dimples. It looks cool and lightens the barrel and aids in cooling.