PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoints and zeros

TylerD
09-25-12, 21:03
I finally got some productive trigger time on my DD M4V5 and I had some questions. I had decent hits with my irons but with my adjustments I couldn't tell much difference. I decided to try to get close with the irons then zeroed the aimpoint. My question is if I remove the aimpoint, do I have to dial anything back in or does it matter as long as its the same position on the rail? Its sitting on a Larue mount if that matters? Thanks for the help.

Psybain
09-25-12, 21:21
As long as ypu put it back in the same position, your aimpoint should retain its zero.

jaxman7
09-25-12, 21:27
No matter what quality of mount if you take it off the gun always 'reverify' your zero

My rule of thumb.

-Jax

TylerD
09-25-12, 21:29
As long as ypu put it back in the same position, your aimpoint should retain its zero.

Thank you! I was hoping this was the case. I may have to remove the aimpoint to attempt a better 50yd zero for irons. This is only my 5th time or so shooting an AR or any rifle for that matter so I'm having trouble with irons.

Casull
09-25-12, 21:35
Simple answer is that it should be pretty close or even right on in the case of most good mounts, but you're not sure- and some times it is indeed not exactly zeroed as it was before depending on various factors. Mine's shifted a bit before and it actually was surprising.

Jax's statement is good.

TylerD
09-25-12, 21:38
No matter what quality of mount if you take it off the gun always 'reverify' your zero

My rule of thumb.

-Jax

Sounds like a good idea. If I try to redo the irons I will run some more rounds through it after the aimpoint is reinstalled. Thank you for the advice.

TylerD
09-25-12, 21:41
While we are on the subject, with the irons should the bullet impact above the front sight post? I'm about 2 inches higher than the post at 50 yards when I cut the target in half with the front post.

jaxman7
09-25-12, 21:42
There should be no reason to have to take off the optic to zero the irons. If it bothers you at first leave it off. Zero your irons and then the Aimpoint. Then spend some time shooting it with irons and your optic turned off to get acclimated to 'shooting through the tube'. That's the point of irons as back up sights. To be able to quickly transition to them if your RDS somehow goes down.

-Jax

TylerD
09-25-12, 21:52
There should be no reason to have to take off the optic to zero the irons. If it bothers you at first leave it off. Zero your irons and then the Aimpoint. Then spend some time shooting it with irons and your optic turned off to get acclimated to 'shooting through the tube'. That's the point of irons as back up sights. To be able to quickly transition to them if your RDS somehow goes down.

-Jax

This may sound dumb but if this is the case and I know I have a good zero with the aimpoint, couldn't I make the front sight post sit even with the dot when looking through the irons and have a good zero?

MistWolf
09-25-12, 22:00
Yes, you can use the dot on the Aimpoint to roughly sight in your irons and vice-versa. Be sure to shoot your rifle afterwards to verify your zero.

After checking your sights at 50 yards, check and fine tune them at 100.

Check out this sticky- http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=107572

TylerD
09-25-12, 22:15
Yes, you can use the dot on the Aimpoint to roughly sight in your irons and vice-versa. Be sure to shoot your rifle afterwards to verify your zero.

After checking your sights at 50 yards, check and fine tune them at 100.

Check out this sticky- http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=107572

I have it bookmarked already :D. I Zeroed both at 50and ended up about 2 inches high at 100 with the aimpoint. Didn't even run irons at 100 because I stunk it up at 50. I just can't shoot irons consistently. Its time for carbine classes. I will post pics tomorrow

mkmckinley
09-26-12, 10:54
Zero the irons, and the optic for that matter, with the rifle configured exactly how it will be when you're actually using it. I've noticed POI shift when shooting with irons only vs irons-through-optic. I don't know if it was because of some optical error induced by the optic or if I was changing the sight picture slightly or what. It doesn't matter. In general you want to train how you fight so to speak.

markm
09-26-12, 11:02
Just don't take the aimpoint off in the first place. :eek:

SigFanM4
09-26-12, 11:36
The Aimpoint should hold it's zero if you take it off, but there are many factors that could affect it. I would always verify my zero if I took the optic off the rifle.

markm
09-26-12, 13:24
If for whatever reason you take your aimpoint off your gun, simply NOTE where the dot is in relation to your irons. You can quick spot check that it's right by using your irons as a reference.

TylerD
09-26-12, 14:29
Just don't take the aimpoint off in the first place. :eek:

This is my first attempt to seriously learn any rifle platform. I'm trying to learn, but I didn't know I could zero the irons while the optic was on. I plan on trying again and using the irons with the aimpoint on to see what happens.

MistWolf
09-26-12, 18:33
Just dial the red dot all the way down so it won't be a distraction while sighting in the irons

halmbarte
09-26-12, 18:49
I once wanted to change both the rear sight and Aimpoint mount at the same time.

I did the Aimpoint into the new mount first and set the dot so it split the front sight in elevation and was centered in windage.

The new rear sight went on next. I set that so the dot was centered on the front sight again.

When I got out to the range I was within 2" at 50 yards. Final zeroing was easy.

H

Kimberstanko
10-23-12, 17:40
It's a pain in the a$$, but I zero mine if I remove my T1. It only takes a couple rounds and worth the piece of mind.