PDA

View Full Version : Too Fat To Fight

WillBrink
09-26-12, 10:09
Bad mojo here. :cool:

Report: Too Fat to Fight?
By David Pittman, Washington Correspondent, MedPage Today (http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Obesity/34960)
Published: September 25, 2012

WASHINGTON -- Many overweight and obese young adults are currently ineligible for U.S. military service which could jeopardize the Armed Forces and national security, according to retired military personnel.

In a report released Tuesday, nearly 200 retired military leaders claimed that 27% of young adults, or at least 9 million 17- to 24-year-olds, are too fat for military service. They called on Congress to take action to reduce the number of vending machines dispensing unhealthy foods in schools.

"Being overweight or obese turns out to be the leading medical reason why applicants fail to qualify for military service," according to the report, called "Too Fat to Fight." The authors pointed out that "otherwise excellent recruit prospects, some of them with generations of sterling military service in their family history, are being turned away because they are just too overweight."

Between 1995 and 2008, the proportion of potential recruits who failed their physicals each year because they were overweight rose nearly 70%, according to Mission: Readiness, a nonpartisan group of retired senior leadership from all armed forces branches. Three-quarters of all young Americans are unable to join the military because they failed to graduate from high school, have criminal records, or are physically unfit.

"Removing the junk food from our schools should be part of comprehensive action that involves parents, schools and communities in helping children make healthy food choices," Coast Guard Admiral James Loy (ret.) said in a news release. "The bottom line is that the armed services must have a sufficient pool of fit young adults to draw from in order to field enough recruits with the excellent qualifications needed to staff a 21st century military."

Specifically, retired military leaders call on Congress to:

Reauthorize the Child Nutrition Act and allow the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to adopt new nutrition standards that could remove high-calorie, low-nutrition foods from schools
Support adequate funding to improve the quality of food available in schools
Deploy proven school-based programs that helping children adopt life-long changes in their eating and exercise habits

"There is evidence to show that intervening during school years, and even earlier, to provide healthful meals along with nutrition education, and simple techniques to motivate children or their children can reduce childhood weight gain," the report stated.

Lawmakers need to provide meaningful increases in school lunch funding to make meals more nutritious and appetizing, they said.

The CDC and others have called for adoption of the Institute of Medicine's (IOM) guidelines on what foods should be served and sold in schools. Now, Congress needs to give the USDA authority to adopt those standards, the retired leaders said.

To date, nearly half of the states have no nutrition standards for unhealthy foods sold in schools and only one has adopted most of the IOM's recommendations, they said.

This isn't the first time military leaders have become involved in a national debate on good nutrition. During World War II, the military rejected roughly 40% of recruits because of poor nutrition. Young military men were almost an inch and a half shorter then compared with today.

At the time, Gen. Lewis Hershey testified on behalf of the National School Lunch Program, which was established in 1946 and helped ensure children had access to healthy school meals.

"The health of our children and our national security are at risk," the report authors wrote. "America must act decisively."

Down Load Full Report:

http://www.missionreadiness.org/2010/too-fat-to-fight/

crusader377
09-26-12, 10:43
Although I think diet is an issue, I think as a society we would be foolish to claim that is the only problem. I think another big issue is that recess has pretty much gone away in many schools. Kid don't have an outlet to get exercise during the day and combined with helicopter parenting which tends to limit activity is another reason why many kids are overweight. Finally, I think TV and video games encourage a seditary lifestyle.

I think another reason for obesity is simple genetics and your body's hard wiring. The human body simply wasn't designed for physical inactivity which is common today. For the vast majority of human history up until 50-100 years ago, most people had physically hard work for their daily routine just to stay alive. Modern society has transitioned from a manual work economy to an office economy and human genetics haven't changed yet.

austinN4
09-26-12, 11:21
I think another big issue is that recess has pretty much gone away in many schools.

I think another reason for obesity is simple genetics and your body's hard wiring. The human body simply wasn't designed for physical inactivity which is common today.
Both of the above comments underscore the need for a better diet.

I won't bore this forum with my story, but a recent life-changing event caused me to totally rethink my diet away from the typical so-called "healthy" western diet.

I am now mostly vegan (OK, I backslide with fish occasionally but not with 2 or 4 legged amimals or thier products). I am lightler, faster, stronger and healthier than I have ever been in my adult life. I cut my total and bad cholestoral levels in half by just diet alone. And the new diet dropped about 20 points off my resting blood pressure.

I have no expetation that many people would go as far as I did with my diet, but the fact is that changes in diet can produce dramatic results, both good and bad, depending on what one puts in their body.

For those interested, read the works of T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., Dean Ornish and others.

TomMcC
09-26-12, 11:39
The idea of vending machines at a school is an obvious fail, not every situation in life should be made into an opportunity to make a buck. When I was going to HS back in the 68-71 there were NO vending machines, I never even heard the idea...EVER, and no one was allowed to leave the campus to go to the local burger joint. Oh how the times have changed. In basic training (74') only a few guys were that out of shape.

Honu
09-26-12, 14:09
both parents work kids come home play vid games cause the nanny dont care if the kids sit as long as they dont bug her !
kids text now dont bother riding bikes climbing trees !
at school recess is more like sit in a group dont climb dont run dont hurt yourself sorry kicking a ball back and forth is not exercise

and for sure diet ! no time to cook nuke it slap it on a plate or eat out of package !
breakfast grab a sugar bar marked as a breakfast bar !
drinks ! water YUK give me some energy drink
CHIPS OH NO FAT so they have to be good for you ! OR at least are not bad sure johnny eat as many as you want !
to tired to even nuke stop by drive through OK dinner burgers shakes fries only 120 gram of fat and 2300 calories at 8PM now off to bed kids !

I think its just todays lifestyles and whats around us and what we do
their is NO EXCUSE its just CHOICES many make

khc3
09-26-12, 14:18
In comparing the physical fitness of young Americans, versus the lack of national political will/cohesion to achieve discernible victory in any conflict, as well as being broke 50 trillion times over, as strategic liabilities, I think it's pretty far down the list.

austinN4
09-26-12, 14:29
In comparing the physical fitness of young Americans, versus the lack of national political will/cohesion to achieve discernible victory in any conflict, as well as being broke 50 trillion times over, as strategic liabilities, I think it's pretty far down the list.
We aren't broke 50 trillion times, just 16 trillion. As to priorities, it is the fatties that are driving up health care costs with their diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problems and making us as a nation even more broke. And that doen't even count them not being able to get off their fat asses and do something constructive, such as serve in the military.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-26-12, 14:48
I wonder how the food nazi's would feel if they used the general's rationale for more restrictions on school menus and then he said "Oh, yea, we need to work on marksmanship too."

Forcing things on teenagers is less than usefull, it may actually be counterproductive. Why does Moo-shell think she can get kids off sugar when the liberals seem to mock the DARE program?

Make kids more active. More active kids burn more calories, being fat makes activity difficult and is a habit that will work for them the rest of their lives. I shudder to think of the calories I ate in high-school, but then again I played three sports, walked to school, had a paper route and a part time job on the weekends.

SteyrAUG
09-26-12, 14:59
I survived on nothing BUT McDonalds, tacos, pizza and all manner of junk foods and was 140 lbs. most of my life.

Me in High School

http://imageshack.us/a/img211/5295/k10vh.jpg

Me in my early 30s

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/0000008x10BlankTEST.jpg

I didn't break 200 lb until AFTER I got jobs that required long periods of me sitting at a desk and working so many hours that I no longer had the time and energy to go "do things."

What did me in was going from having a metabolism that required four meals a day to NOT lose weight (especially when I was teaching three classes a night - five days a week in my 20s and early 30s.)

But at the same time I wasn't making enough money to get by. The only jobs I could find that paid real money were mostly sitting down. And that combined with getting older really did a number on me.

In 1999 when I started my own business (while working a day job at the same time) I really started to notice the change. Getting that up and running required a LOT of time on the computer and little time for anything else.

By 2001 I hadn't gained a lot of weight, but I sure wasn't 140 lbs. anymore and I didn't need to eat 4 times a day.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/crew3.jpg

In the last decade I've tried to keep working out regularly but getting old doesn't help. I've had a few injuries and working out seems to "break me down" as much as "keep me in shape" and the kind of training I once loved can now be very counter productive.

I'd be much better off mall walking or playing golf but it just isn't my thing. I'm trying to make workouts more cardio centric but it's hard for me to pace myself. I keep trying to do the things I did in my 20s and 30s and I simply burn all the gas in the tank in 10 minutes and require a 10 minute recovery. A couple hours of that in a night and I'm wrecked for the next two days. Middle age is a mother****er.

On top of that my "training crew" sometimes shows and sometimes they don't. We have gone from 4 night a week to 2 nights a week and sometimes nobody makes it in a given week and it's hard to self motivate a decent workout. Without the competitiveness of somebody to work against, even if you are simply light sparring for cardio without keeping score, it's too easy to get complacent with your workout.

When I am alone in training I usually work targets like heavy bag, makiwara, mook jong and various other contraptions I've built. Problem there is I tend to blow it all out and have difficulty pacing myself. So the result is I burn gas and gain no cardio benefit.

But I don't think I can blame any of that on what I ate in school.

Granted, there were kids in school who weren't as active as I. Even back then they had Nitendo and things like that. But I think complacent lifestyle is the major culprit and not fast food. I've you are complacent in middle school and high school, you are pretty much doomed unless you do something drastic.

austinN4
09-26-12, 15:02
Make kids more active.
Totally agree, if you can. Ideally change both diet and excercise, but it absolutely has to be one or the other. The high fat and sugar diets of today plus limited to no exercise are turning us into an unhealthy obese nation, which will, IMO, make us vunerable in a number of ways.

When I was in boot (Infantry 1966), IIRC our training company had a fat guys squad. Life was a special hell for those guys. Some made it but most didn't.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-26-12, 15:05
Steyr- please tell me that mullet ninja is you.

Swimming. Low impact. I swam and played water polo in HS. We did something like 2500-5000 yards a day IIRC? You can eat anything....

SteyrAUG
09-26-12, 15:16
Steyr- please tell me that mullet ninja is you.

It is, but not really a true mullet. It was one of those rat tail things from the 80s.

kdcgrohl
09-26-12, 15:45
It is, but not really a true mullet. It was one of those rat tail things from the 80s.

I know a guy who still has that exact hair cut...

And by the way, it's extremely disappointing to know you're not the guy from office space.

khc3
09-26-12, 15:52
We aren't broke 50 trillion times, just 16 trillion. As to priorities, it is the fatties that are driving up health care costs with their diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problems and making us as a nation even more broke. And that doen't even count them not being able to get off their fat asses and do something constructive, such as serve in the military.

So you dont plan on us paying Medicare or SS?

And right now, we're paying the interest on that 16 trillion at basically 0%. When the Fed stops buying bonds, that 16 trillion will look like 50 trillion in a nanosecond.

And we're all fat?! And the government's gonna fix it?!

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/uploads/pyramid.jpg

austinN4
09-26-12, 16:34
So you dont plan on us paying Medicare or SS?

And right now, we're paying the interest on that 16 trillion at basically 0%. When the Fed stops buying bonds, that 16 trillion will look like 50 trillion in a nanosecond.

And we're all fat?! And the government's gonna fix it?!
I don't follow your post. Since it appears aimed at me, I will answer it.

Why is it that I don't plan on those that actually work to pay Medicare of SS? I don't recall ever bringing that up here. The subject is Too Fat To Fight.

The Fed buying bonds does not directly increase the national debt as borrowing would. They simply create more money to buy bonds with, thereby devaluing our $ and driving up our cost of living.

Where did I say you're all fat? Some clearly are, but not all. Or that the gubermint is going to fix it? Only proper diet and exercise will.

As to the USDA Food Pyramid, the USDA exists to serve the interests of the argiculture industry. It does make the best healty choices.

Here is a much better food pyramid, which has diet and exercise as its base:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/images/healthyeatingpyramidresize.jpg

khc3
09-26-12, 16:53
I don't follow your post. Since it appears aimed at me, I will answer it.

You replied to me.

My only point was that fat, out of shape kids is way down the list of strategic concerns facing this country.

austinN4
09-26-12, 17:07
My only point was that fat, out of shape kids is way down the list of strategic concerns facing this country.
"The list"? You mean your list. IMO it is a major strategic consideration facing our country going forward from a socioeconomics standpoint, but, unfortunity, just one of many.

vicious_cb
09-26-12, 17:10
Everything goes so well when you force even more regulations on people. :rolleyes:

Students strike against new federal school lunch rules
Mukwonago - By 7 a.m. Monday, senior Nick Blohm already had burned about 250 calories in the Mukwonago High School weight room.

He grabbed a bagel and a Gatorade afterward; if he eats before lifting, he gets sick.

That was followed by eight periods in the classroom, and then three hours of football practice. By the time he headed home, he had burned upward of 3,000 calories - his coach thinks the number is even higher.

But the calorie cap for his school lunch? 850 calories.

"A lot of us are starting to get hungry even before the practice begins," Blohm said. "Our metabolisms are all sped up."

Following new federal guidelines, school districts nationwide have retooled their menus to meet new requirements to serve more whole grains, only low-fat or nonfat milk, daily helpings of both fruits and vegetables, and fewer sugary and salty items. And for the first time, federal funds for school lunches mandate age-aligned calorie maximums. The adjustments are part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 touted by Michelle Obama and use the updated Dietary Guidelines for Americans from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The changes are hard to swallow for students like Blohm. On Monday, 70% of the 830 Mukwonago High students who normally buy lunch boycotted cafeteria food to protest what they see as an unfair "one size fits all thing." Middle schoolers in the district also boycotted their school lunches, with counts down nearly half Monday. They're not alone in their frustration; schools across the country are reporting students who are unhappy with the lunch offerings.

The sub sandwich line at Mukwonago High used to let students pile veggies on a six-inch French bread bun. Options now include a fist-sized whole wheat roll or multigrain wrap, and the once popular line is now mostly empty.

The healthier food is less the issue than the portions.

"A freshman girl who weighs 100 pounds can eat this lunch and feel completely full, maybe even a little bloated," said Joey Bougneit, a Mukwonago senior.

But Blohm is a 6-foot-3-inch, 210-pound linebacker. He's also class president, and takes several Advanced Placement classes. If schools want students to perform well, he said, they can't be sitting in their chairs hungry.

Last year's fare featured favorites like chicken nuggets and mini corn dogs in helpings that were "relatively decent," Bougneit said. But health-conscious regulations have changed that. Last week's super nacho plate, for example, offered just eight tortilla chips.

Adding to the dissatisfaction is a 10-cent price hike on lunches because the USDA, which oversees the National School Lunch Program, forced many districts to raise full-price lunches closer to the $2.86 it reimburses for students who qualify for free lunches. That means the leaner, greener lunches at Mukwonago High this year now cost $2.50 instead of $2.40.

"Now it's worse tasting, smaller sized and higher priced," Bougneit said.

Officials share concerns

Pam Harris, the district food service supervisor and a registered dietitian, said children's weight and poor nutrition in America are serious problems, but the changes are too abrupt.

"I could not be more passionate about this," Harris said. "I want to solve this problem. But limiting calories in school lunch is not going to help the overweight kid. What happens at home is a major piece of that puzzle."

"Our issue is pretty much kids just don't want to eat vegetables," she said. "The USDA wants to solve the problem of childhood obesity. Those are two kind of separate issues."

Harris spoke at all lunch periods Friday to explain the federal dietary changes and had students fill out comment cards explaining what they do and don't like about the new menu. She plans to send those and parent letters to the USDA in hopes the department will allow districts including Mukwonago to gradually introduce their menu over a few years.

In a clothing store bag the size of a backpack, Blohm lugged his homemade, linebacker-size lunch including a bag of raw carrots, two ham sandwiches on wheat bread, two granola bars, an apple and three applesauce cups - an estimated total of 1,347 calories.

How long will the students keep boycotting the lunch program?

"I've already told my mom we might be packing my lunch for the rest of the year," Blohm said.

Clay Iverson, Mukwonago's varsity football head coach, said student-athletes are bigger, stronger and more athletic than ever before, and their food intake needs have evolved.

"Everything has been accelerated, and maybe nutrition hasn't been," he said.

He worries that if players' stomachs are growling by the end of the school day, they'll go home and binge on anything they get their hands on and undo any of the benefits of the lighter, healthier school lunch.

Teens need a push to make healthy eating choices, Iverson said, but they've got plenty else to worry about during the football season.

"I wonder if the people who made the decision had to go through a day like Nick Blohm."

http://m.jsonline.com/news/education/students-strike-against-new-federal-school-lunch-rules-t96t7sp-170124676.html

austinN4
09-26-12, 17:40
Everything goes so well when you force even more regulations on people.
More and better nutrition education is needed, not regulation.

SteyrAUG
09-26-12, 17:49

Yep.

We had all the things TomMcC identified as "the problem."

We left for lunch all the time in high school for Burger King, tacos, etc.

When I was a kid in the 70s our private school had vending machines with sodas and we even had an ice cream vending machine.

But that was also before the "hysteria" of knowing where your kids are at every second. After school we were gone until dinner and on the weekends when we left in the morning you wouldn't see us again until dinner (we might stop in for lunch).

We actually went outside and DID THINGS. And that is a much more significant issue than if you can get a Big Gulp or not.

militarymoron
09-26-12, 18:02

yup - that applies to a lot of things (education vs. regulation). i'd rather foster self-regulation in people through education and understanding vs. regulating across the board; catering to the lowest common denominator.

G-lock
09-27-12, 14:55
I struggle with the idea of 2 fat to fight, is it really they don't want to take the time to work the blubber off em, I think if too fat is the only issue they should at last get a chance at boot/basic, restrict their intake and work em till they slim down. That said they may kill em in the process if they are massivelly obese.

RogerinTPA
09-27-12, 16:51
Lock up the video games, limit TV and computer use to a few hours a day. Give them a new game called "Go outside and play" to burn calories. Make them play some kind of sport either intramural, JV, or varsity. Stop being a fat **** yourself and lead by example...

Honu
09-27-12, 17:16
I wonder when they accepted the two stupid to fight ? by the sounds of it they let that requirement pass a while ago !

SteyrAUG
09-27-12, 17:33
Give them a new game called "Go outside and play" to burn calories.

But if you let kids outside unsupervised that is negligent parenting and you are just begging to have your kids get kidnapped or start using hard drugs.

I remember when I was 12 I used to walk home from school and I just did a google map search and it was just shy of 4 miles. I walked because I could beat the bus home and would walk past a 7-11 where I could get a coke and snacks for the walk home.

Usually did it with a backpack full of books and it required a short cut across a canal on a sewer pipe that was about a foot wide with people stoppers (large 6 foot "fan shaped" grills) on both ends.

I wonder if it would even be possible for a 12 year old to make that decision today.

Reagans Rascals
09-27-12, 17:43
this is the 1 and only reason for today's obesity epidemic within the US...

we maintain the diet of an 18th century Lumberjack while maintaining the physical output of an 87 year old arthritic grandma with 2 bad hips, a glass eye and an oxygen respirator....

in the "old days" people actually had to work... they spent upwards of 8-10k cals a day in some professions... thus they needed to eat things fried in lard and slathered in butter and bacon fat... it was a physical necessity to simply put as many calories as they can in their bodies so they could make it through their arduous day... and they were still slim by today's measure

however... as technology improved... and we were required to work less and less and less in a given day... our physical output levels dwindled, however; for some reason... our eating habits never changed.... so thus... we eat like an 18th century lumberjack... but put out like an arthritic granny....

I use "our" and "we" simply to identify American society as a whole... not individuals...

oh and btw.... SODA IS THE GOD DAMN DEVIL..... that is pure liquid fat people put in their body... if they were to cut out soda from their diet they could potentially lose upwards of 30 pounds in a very short amout of time... ask me how I know... haven't had any type of carbonated sugar water in over 4 years... whatsoever... it's literally like injecting fat right into your vein...

FChen17213
09-27-12, 18:17
Here's something interesting. Let's think about 10 years ago. 20 years ago. Even think about fast food back then. McDonalds and Burger King. How large was a hamburger back then? How large was the standard hamburger? You guys remember when the Quarter Pounder with Cheese first came out? That thing was considered HUGE! Remember the Chicken Nuggets? 6 or a 9 piece if you were a hungry hungry dude. Soda? Most people drank regular soda.....in 8 or 12 oz cans.

Fast forward to today. Double Quarter Pounders with Cheese, 1/3 lb angus burgers, TWENTY PIECE chicken nuggets as an extra value meal for ONE PERSON! 20 oz sodas are the norm. Big burgers at burger joints that have 3/4 lb of meat in them. WTF?!!

It's no surprise people are becoming obese. They're way way way over-eating. If people went back to the old days and ate a simple McDonald's cheeseburger value meal, even with the small fries and regular coke, they'd be fine. Yes, even at McDonald's....if they continued to work out and be active.

I wonder how many pullups the average person in America can do these days. How many miles can they run? I was running at a university just last night and ran by an ice cream joint. Sickening looking at young college kids these days. About half of them were fat even at 18-22 years old. Of those that were fat, about half were obese. I went to college in the late 90s and I sure as hell don't remember many fat people when I was in college.....maybe like 1 or 2 fat kids out of 15 or 20. The situation of obesity has gotten much much much worse.

I'm not one to say that we should get rid of vending machines or fast food in schools.....after all, that's not too different from Michael Bloomberg banning large sodas in NYC. The problem isn't with the availability. It's with the utter lack of personal accountability and discipline or lack thereof. The modern young kid in general is so undisciplined, selfish, ignorant, feels entitled, lazy, and yes......obese that he or she consistently shirks off accountability and never does the right thing. They don't feel responsible for their own actions...ever. Pathetic.

There is currently a generation in our country that cannot read, write, do math, do any heavy lifting, yet feel great about themselves and feel entitled to the world. They always want to have their cake, eat it too, and then have another one hand delivered to them on a pedestal.

Seriously, all of our restaurants will eventually become like this one.
http://youtu.be/KTKysI59HAw

SteyrAUG
09-27-12, 18:19
There is currently a generation in our country that cannot read, write, do math, do any heavy lifting, yet feel great about themselves and feel entitled to the world. They always want to have their cake, eat it too, and then have another one hand delivered to them on a pedestal.

Years ago we placed a higher value on self esteem than self respect and this is the result.

RogerinTPA
09-27-12, 19:41
I was playing catch with some neighborhood kids with a football the other day. Half of them could barely catch the damn thing without putting an eye out, and I was just tossing the ball, not really throwing it. I had to resign for fear some parent would sue me for harming their kid. Watching the basket ball court was like watching a group of mongoloids play. No offense towards mongoloids. Talk about uncoordinated. I finally had to leave, I was laughing too hard. I bet they all put themselves in the hospital within a couple of hours. When teenager lack basic athletic coordination, something is very wrong...

When I was a kid, all of us would play street football, baseball, swam, rode our bikes all over the city and I also played tennis until midnight in the summer, after shooting hoops and mowing the lawn. To ask a kid to sweat for fun these days borders on child abuse to most people...

austinN4
09-27-12, 21:25
SODA IS THE GOD DAMN DEVIL..... that is pure liquid fat people put in their body... if they were to cut out soda from their diet they could potentially lose upwards of 30 pounds in a very short amout of time... ask me how I know... haven't had any type of carbonated sugar water in over 4 years... whatsoever... it's literally like injecting fat right into your vein...
I am in agreement with most of what you said, but canned soda, while loaded with sugar and way too many calories, does not contain any fat.

Excess calories will make you fat, for sure, but are not necesarily life threatening. On the other hand, ingesting to much saturated fats and animal cholesterol can kill you - clogged arteries, heart disease, etc. - even in thin and "fit" people.

Reagans Rascals
09-28-12, 00:09
I am in agreement with most of what you said, but canned soda, while loaded with sugar and way too many calories, does not contain any fat.

Excess calories will make you fat, for sure, but are not necesarily life threatening. On the other hand, ingesting to much saturated fats and animal cholesterol can kill you - clogged arteries, heart disease, etc. - even in thin and "fit" people.

sugar turns to fat when not used and expended by the body through exercise or physical exertion

which basically means... if you pour 1-2 liters of soda into your body a day...... while remaining almost completely sedentary... it is more than logical just to assert that you are basically just pouring liquid fat right onto your body... just contributing to your body fat percentage... because they sure as hell know they aren't expending those cals...

I think we are both saying the same thing... you are just focusing on the actual definition of "fat" as in trans/mono/sat fats... where as I am using it to describe just body fat... belly fat... which those soda sugars turn into... quite fast might I add

AKDoug
09-28-12, 00:16
I think another thing that is overlooked is bad breeding. You can't take a herd of cows and allow it to breed willy nilly and produce quality offspring. Modern medical science has allowed some of us (me included) to pass on our bad genes. Diseases that killed guys like me in the past are now treated and allow us to live and breed. I have many faults and being fat is also one of them. My grandfather was fat, my dad is fat (even though he walks 7 miles a day), and I'm fat. There is a genetic problem in this country that I believe is as big as our eating issues.

My son is fat and we do everything in our power to try and change it. His best friend lives with us at this time. He is 5'10 and 140 lbs. My son is 5'10" and 240lbs. They do everything together. Paint ball, hiking, dirt bikes, snowmachines, sledding, snowboarding. Both are very active. The friend is lean and mean. My kid is big and cumbersome. Both work like animals cutting firewood, working on my heavy equipment, and doing manly chores. It's a sampling of two kids, but it sure shows that two kids from different blood lines, living in the same household, can develop completely different.

SteyrAUG
09-28-12, 02:01
I think another thing that is overlooked is bad breeding. You can't take a herd of cows and allow it to breed willy nilly and produce quality offspring. Modern medical science has allowed some of us (me included) to pass on our bad genes. Diseases that killed guys like me in the past are now treated and allow us to live and breed. I have many faults and being fat is also one of them. My grandfather was fat, my dad is fat (even though he walks 7 miles a day), and I'm fat. There is a genetic problem in this country that I believe is as big as our eating issues.

My son is fat and we do everything in our power to try and change it. His best friend lives with us at this time. He is 5'10 and 140 lbs. My son is 5'10" and 240lbs. They do everything together. Paint ball, hiking, dirt bikes, snowmachines, sledding, snowboarding. Both are very active. The friend is lean and mean. My kid is big and cumbersome. Both work like animals cutting firewood, working on my heavy equipment, and doing manly chores. It's a sampling of two kids, but it sure shows that two kids from different blood lines, living in the same household, can develop completely different.

There is a lot to be said about the genetic hand of cards one is dealt. And just because your mix doesn't make you a Spartan athlete doesn't mean you should be dead either. Sounds like your kid gets out there as much as any.

My grandfather was a "big guy" and lived well into his 80s and worked a real job until the last year of his life.

austinN4
09-28-12, 06:06
sugar turns to fat when not used and expended by the body through exercise or physical exertion
Yep, we are saying basically the same thing. But it isn't just sugar. Any excess calories, not just sugar, will make you fat over time. It is just that sugary sodas, and juices, for that matter, are calorie bombs.

Iraqgunz
09-28-12, 08:04
When I enlisted into the Army in 1986 if you were a little overweight no one cared quite simply because they would work it off you.

scoutfsu99
09-28-12, 08:43
Looking through the AR's in Action thread......there's quite a few M4C'ers that shouldn't be tossing stones in their glass houses.

Safetyhit
09-28-12, 09:12
And by the way, it's extremely disappointing to know you're not the guy from office space.

Kind of like how I felt when I realized Lebowski wasn't really Jeff Bridges. :D

austinN4
09-28-12, 10:43
Looking through the AR's in Action thread......there's quite a few M4C'ers that shouldn't be tossing stones in their glass houses.
My BMI (body mass index) is 22. :D

Interested parties can check theirs here:
http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

scoutfsu99
09-28-12, 13:12
Meh. Too bad it doesn't take into account if you're actually in shape.

DeltaSierra
09-28-12, 22:21
we maintain the diet of an 18th century Lumberjack while maintaining the physical output of...

No, no, no.

This is sooo wrong, I can't even begin to tear this apart, but I'll try to present a few facts.

The diet of an 18th century lumberjack did NOT include highly processed foods, such as white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and meat of animals fed almost entirely on corn, to name a few things...

It is the quality of the food, not the quantity that is the cause of many issues.

Reagans Rascals
09-28-12, 22:36
No, no, no.

This is sooo wrong, I can't even begin to tear this apart, but I'll try to present a few facts.

The diet of an 18th century lumberjack did NOT include highly processed foods, such as white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and meat of animals fed almost entirely on corn, to name a few things...

It is the quality of the food, not the quantity that is the cause of many issues.

I think many of you here tend to think and take things said too literally... you don't see the forest for the trees so to speak...

I was simply illustrating the fact that today's populous ingests much more than needed and then performs no physical activity.... as opposed to the populous of yester-year...that spent the better part of their days cutting down timber or working a field...

in the 18th century, people still didn't necessarily eat healthy, and they ate to excess, not because they simply could but because it was needed to simply get through the next days tasks... they ate shit... fat, butter, lard and so on... but they were still much healthier than today's populous because they PTFO every single day of their lives...

I was simply using this as what I thought to be an easy to visualize metaphor... not specifically stating we have the exact same diet as an 18th century lumber jack down to the very same menu...

people today eat like they are cutting down trees all day and expending 6k cals a day... yet they put out like an arthritic granny in hospice... that is all... that is why today's populace is mostly obese... they do this because they can...

it's called Jevons Paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox):

....In economics, the Jevons paradox (sometimes Jevons effect) is the proposition that technological progress that increases the efficiency with which a resource is used tends to increase (rather than decrease) the rate of consumption of that resource...

the easier it is to obtain high caloric food... the more that food will be consumed...

yes quality does play a role.... however... if they PTFO... and expended more cals a day than they consumed there would be no issue... besides things like high cholesterol or CHD... being overweight would not be a concern

put out more than you take in, and you'll be fine.. its that simple
you are all focusing too much on how its said rather than what is said...

QuickStrike
09-29-12, 04:56
We should never accept this in people or it will get worse. None of this "You're beautiful just the way you are" crap. You dont see drill instructors babying people to improve discipline.

Everything in moderation is the key. More is not always better, and none isnt always better either.

Anybody in here into 300 lbs+ girls?

Fess up you sickos... :p

FChen17213
09-29-12, 05:53
I am. I think many 350 lb+ females can be very very beautiful. They tend to be very hairy, don't like to wear clothes, and do not bathe regularly either. Nevertheless I think they are just gorgeous. Natural beauty. They never wear makeup or use soap either.

They also have the scientific names of panthera leo, panthera tigris, and ursus maritimus. :D

Laugh all you want. In today's society, how often do you see a girl more beautiful than Lady Liuwa of the Liuwa Plain? You almost never see good looking, thin attractive women in our regular day to day life anymore. I mean, how often do you see women as physically attractive as Candice Swanepoel or Rosie Huntington-Whiteley on the street? Pretty much never.

Reagans Rascals
09-29-12, 06:25
I mean, how often do you see women as physically attractive as Candice Swanepoel or Rosie Huntington-Whiteley on the street? Pretty much never.

this is true.... but I did see a dead ringer for Reginald Veljohnson in a 2 piece at the beach this past week.... with her John Goodman look-a-like mother... both with men that couldn't have weighed more than 86lbs soaking wet while holding a sack of dicks... it was quite the treat I must say... so you just never know