PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle Dilemna -Keep Or No?

FVC3
09-26-12, 14:34
I recently trade some backpacking gear for a Savage 110 in 300 Win Mag. The rifle is a plain, black synthetic (original) stocked, 20 inch ported barreled version with Leupold long range base and rings mounted. It has the Accutrigger. It came with 100 rds factory ammo and reloading dies and some components. It is a proven MOA-ish rifle at up to 500 yards. MOA at 300.

I am torn about keeping it. If I do, I will need to put decent (expensive) glass and a new stock (also expensive) on it at a minimum. If I sell it or trade it, I can partially fund another project nearer and dearer to my heart.

I have to admit, building a long range rifle kinda appeals to me. Does this rifle have enough potential to make it worth the considerable investment? :confused:

JStor
09-26-12, 18:52
Just my opinion as I have no experience with Savage 110s.... I'd sell it.

What is the point of having a .300 Mag with a mere 20 inch barrel? Velocity and bullet weight are two things that make a "magnum" desirable as compared to a standard cartridge. You lose the velocity with the short barrel, and then you have a magnum without magnum performance, while still burning magnum amounts of powder, magnum recoil and magnum muzzle blast. I am not against the mags, just that they're sort of specialized in their usefulness.

Pappabear
09-26-12, 19:13
Sell it and buy rem 700, 5R preferable in 308. Or buy an AR ...BLA BLA BLA.

AR15barrels
09-28-12, 15:23
It sounds like it's not near and dear to your heart.
Sell it.

Also, a 20" 300 magnum would NOT be a good first precision rifle.
It will wear you out in a lot fewer rounds per shooting session than a more appropriate short action gun would.

KarbonChemist
10-04-12, 09:19
sounds like a "sell" to me.

fallenromeo
10-04-12, 11:05
From your post, you don't sound that excited to have it. Sounds like a sell to me. Also, if this is your first precision rifle, don't start with something that expensive to shoot. Sell it and get/build a .308

JasonG
11-12-12, 22:02
Dump the Savage. I just used mine, 10FP .308, as a trade-in for a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD. I shouldn't have talked it down so much or I might have gotten more than I did. I also threw in two scopes. They probably gave me what they did for the scopes and sling.

TehLlama
11-14-12, 12:33
Sounds like you'd have to spend a considerable sum of money on it just to be happy with it. Cash is king.

Doc. Holiday
11-14-12, 17:27
Sell, if your not hyped about it now, you're not going to be.