PDA

View Full Version : Rookie mictake + DD CS

murphman
09-26-12, 14:46
This is a two part thread, 1st part explaining the rookie mistakes I made when trying to work on my rifle and the 2nd Daniel Defenses customer service.

About a month and a half ago I purchased a DD complete upper chambered in 6.8spc. This rifle was going to be a hunting/range rifle as I already own a DDm4 for personal defense. I had the idea of changing the rail to a standard magpul handguard as I didnt see the need for the quad rail for hunting, this would allow me to offset some of the cost of the upper to put towards a nice sight. In the process i read many threads on how to make this conversion, watched many videos and began aquiring the needed tools and parts to do so. This is where my problem came in, I have everything ready to go except my upper receiver vise block which was not scheduled to arrive for another 48 hours. I got a head of myself and said ahh I will just take what is needed off today and when the block gets in use it to put the upper back together. Well long story short I over vised the receiver and bent it just below the ejection port cover causing severe binding of the BCG.

I dont feel I didnt know what I was doing and felt very confident in myself but the probelm arrised when i tried to rush and start a project without the proper tool. Grant wanted me to share this with yall a while back but i didnt want to do so till my problem was solved. Its ok to make mistakes because usually making these mistakes you can learn quite a bit in the process but if a mistake can be avoided by simply using the right tool for the job by all means do so. Let my mistake be an example on why to pony up the few extra bucks for the right tools and use the correct tools for the job.

Shortly after this mistake I sent an email to Daniel Defense asking if I sent my upper in could the receiver be repaired or would a new receiver need to be put on. A few days later I was contacted by a customer service rep who asked me what issues I was having. I explained to him what I had done to the receiver (not a factory defect). I asked how much it would cost but he couldnt tell me exactly till the gunsmith looked at it but insisted I send it in right away. 15$ and 2 days later it was sitting at Daniel Defense with a note inside the box explaining again what I had done to the receiver. 4weeks later I received my complete upper receiver with the damage receiver replaced free of charge. I was extatic, I dont know how I could not share my experience about Daniel Defense with others after how well they treated me. I have not owned guns for very long but i have purchsed many things across many different industries and I feel very confident that regardless of the industry there are very few companies that will allow you to **** up their product and fix it at no cost. Now, the part that was being replaced it not necessarily expensive part but it was the principle of the situation. I was pretty set on Daniel Defense and their product but after this I am a customer for life. In 2013 I have plans of picking up an sbr and Daniel Defense just sold another MK18 from this customer service experience.

I wanted to send a special thanks to Iraqgunz for keeping me from selling my upper and taking the huge loss along with offering to sell me a replacment upper receiver at a very good price to get me back on my feet.

Sorry for any misspelling as i am typing this up on my phone.

JasonM
09-26-12, 15:06
1. that is a lot of typing for a phone

2. Glad it worked out. Usually we only hear negative CS stories

3. the right tool for a given job is definitely a good idea

murphman
09-26-12, 15:28

lol took me like an hour to type on the phone lol, was at school waiting for class.

Moonlight Again
09-26-12, 15:46
snip

snip

That drives me CRAZY, and as a result I always try to go out of my way to praise good customer service. Good to hear about DD's quality CS, but it's not a surprise, as they have always seemed like a class act.

ASH556
09-26-12, 16:17
Good outcome to a bad situation. This is why the only AR's I own are DD!

Slvr Surfr
09-26-12, 16:54
Nice job DD!

Stickman
09-26-12, 17:29
I find it hard to believe anyone who has techno-viking as an avatar could make a mistake. :D

murphman
09-26-12, 17:36
I find it hard to believe anyone who has techno-viking as an avatar could make a mistake. :D

I know right hahaha

everyusernametaken
09-26-12, 17:41

Seriously! I would have lost it well before getting that far!

+ eleventy billion

jonconsiglio
09-26-12, 18:31
Glad you leanred from your mistake and I'm glad you have even more appreciation for Daniel Defense.

I'm sure many more than will admit are guilty of rushing a flash hider replacement or RE replacement without the proper tools. Live and learn.

If you ever head to Corpus, PM me.

SigSlave
09-26-12, 19:22
Your story makes me glad I spent the extra money on a Daniel Defense upper receiver group instead of saving 200 bucks on another brand. I'm glad Daniel Defense believes in going above and beyond, especially when it costs them money they don't have to spend.

If what happened to you happened to me, that free receiver would have bought Daniel Defense a loyal customer for life.

SpankMonkey
09-26-12, 19:26
Way to go DD. That is stepping up.

JJay03
09-26-12, 22:04
Wow this just makes me feel even better about going with a DDM4 for my first AR.

murphman
09-27-12, 18:12
Will do Jonconsiglio

Glad you leanred from your mistake and I'm glad you have even more appreciation for Daniel Defense.

I'm sure many more than will admit are guilty of rushing a flash hider replacement or RE replacement without the proper tools. Live and learn.

If you ever head to Corpus, PM me.