PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon tr24

yossarian42
09-26-12, 18:22
Ive been researching this scope along with a few others and came across some old posts indicating failures in the form of the rain water accumulating inside the trijicon accupoint tr24. I was hoping someone could chime in here and shed some light on whether or not this was an isolated issue and if not, has it since been corrected. I've seen them on amazon lately for around 600 so it is tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

ruedger455@yahoo.com
09-26-12, 18:43
I have a tr24 and its gotten wet and never had a problem

halmbarte
09-26-12, 18:45
Ive been researching this scope along with a few others and came across some old posts indicating failures in the form of the rain water accumulating inside the trijicon accupoint tr24. I was hoping someone could chime in here and shed some light on whether or not this was an isolated issue and if not, has it since been corrected. I've seen them on amazon lately for around 600 so it is tempting.

A chicom fake, maybe.

If a real Trijicon scope takes on water they would replace it.

H

lethal dose
09-26-12, 18:57
Personally, I feel the tr24 is the greatest 1-4x for the money. To add... I think what you were reading was horse manure.

bp7178
09-26-12, 21:50
The post was legit, and IIRC there was two that had the water problem. The post in question is probably over a year old now, and reflects a very isolated problem. A lot of what was out there was people repeating the same story.

Very good scope for the money, and my favorite 1-4x. I liked it better than my Short Dot. About 6oz lighter, and better eye box, not to mention about $2k cheaper.

I had a TR24G, and wish I would have bought the TR24R. There is a lot of hype about green reticles and tons of stuff about how you can see more shades of green. That may be true, but I don't think it carries over to reticles the way it would a device with a monochrome image, ie night vision. Having used Aimpoints or EOtechs for years red just seems right.

cop1211
09-26-12, 22:54
I had 4 at one time, 2 green,2 red. I kept 1 of the red ones.

All 4 were ran in the rain never had any take on water.

Isolated incident. Get one you won't regret it.

nickdrak
09-26-12, 23:49
I have been running mine (TR24G) for just over 3 years now (I purchased one the first couple of weeks after they were initially released). It has been thru several courses and rides on my daily carry work AR without an issue.

While some of the new 1-6x's that are on the market have piqued my interest It's gonna be hard to get me to switch my TR24G for anything else. It's a great scope.

Alaskapopo
09-27-12, 00:03
I have owned several and still own 1 with a green triangle.
Good scope overall.
The good.
great illumination ok glass, ok turrets. The reticle is always on no batteries to go dead.

The bad.
No hold over marks have to dial in for longer range shots.
in certain lighting conditions your going to get a black reticle.
Pat

sinlessorrow
09-27-12, 00:15
I have a question, how durable are these things? I am thinking about getting one instead of my T1 due to my astigmatism

AKDoug
09-27-12, 00:15
Mine has been SATURATED several times in the last few weeks. No issues whatsoever.

nickdrak
09-27-12, 00:39
I have a question, how durable are these things? I am thinking about getting one instead of my T1 due to my astigmatism

Mine has survived daily carry in the trunk of my patrol vehicle, which includes a recent accident, multiple multi-day carbine courses, monthly carbine matches, weekly training sessions and over 15,000rds over the past 3 years. Rock solid.

ruedger455@yahoo.com
09-27-12, 06:28
Yea great scope definetly buy one you won't be disappointed

MCS
09-27-12, 10:25
This will be my next optic, once I finish my current build.

jwfuhrman
09-27-12, 12:09
Maybe I'd buy one if they had better reticle choices. Something like whats in the issued ACOG's......

yossarian42
09-27-12, 15:34
One thing I forgot to consider is that most if the ranges I shoot at are covered benches. I'd imagine this is the worst scenerio for this optic. I live in Long Island ny and its not really a great place for, well anything really. It sucks. But more to the point I think I may be better off with a battery powered reticle.

bp7178
09-27-12, 15:48
Absolutely doesn't matter, and to some degree you're better off. The one conservation range I go to is covered benches and goes out to 100 yards, all slow fire.

While the benches are covered, the targets are not, and sun splash off of the targets, especially any white paper ones, makes red dots hard to see. With the Trijicon TR24, you have a nice bold post that comes to a point that is easy to use, and presents a similar sight picture to using irons.

yossarian42
09-27-12, 16:00
Does your reticle go black or do you still have some illumination?

bp7178
09-27-12, 17:15
It won't light up as if you were in direct light, but you can still easily make it out. The simple brilliance of the reticle is that it offers a fine enough of a point for a decent amount of precision, but the base and post is thick enough to be quick.

If your range that is covered is anything like what I described, the reticle being bright won't help. When shooting a T-1, it would almost have to be on max brightness to not wash out against the target, but by then was very bloomed out.

With the TR24, if the target is super bright, and there isn't a lot of light going into the fiber, you can still shoot it very well.

yossarian42
09-27-12, 18:21
I usually shoot black targets so seeing the red dot has never been an issue. Obviously I could switch to white targets that isn't a problem. Just kinda disappointed that I won't get the full awesomeness of the reticle. I think I'm gonna have to see if I can find one locally and have a look at it.

AKDoug
09-27-12, 20:53
I shoot from covered shooting positions all the time and the reticle is very bright. If there is any ambient light at all it will be fine. It is lit both by tritium and a wrap of light gathering fiber optic line.

yossarian42
09-27-12, 21:01
I shoot from covered shooting positions all the time and the reticle is very bright. If there is any ambient light at all it will be fine. It is lit both by tritium and a wrap of light gathering fiber optic line.

This is what I thought it would be like but then read a review saying otherwise. Who knows what his range is like. Mine has an overhead cover but is open in the back so hopefully that's enough light.

Fetep
09-28-12, 00:06
I own the TR24G. It's a fantastic optic! I replaced my Aimpoint M4 with it. Great eye box, field of view, and the green is really easy for me to pick up fast in bright sun or lower lighting, it will never be replaced. It's in a Larue SPR-E mount and is excellent.

Fetep

Barry in IN
09-30-12, 16:36

I just wanted to let you know that played a big part in choosing mine, and it's been working for me. My astigmatism appears to be putting an end to my red dot use, and some of the "this worked with my astigmatism" didn't work for me. That caused me some concern that the Accupoint would be another failure, but it works fine for me. I have to adjust the diopter some, but at least I can.