PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a store like this?

Fr3EK
09-27-12, 08:24
Feel free to move to appropriate section as needed, I just thought it might have went here.

Went to the local gun store yesterday wanting to purchase another AR and possibly an HK45 or P30L. After about a 20 minute drive I finally get there to see they have restocked on ARs. Looking at them I soon learned about 98% of them were Bushmaster, RRA, Doublestar, etc...

They did have one Colt 6920, but there is no way in hell I'm going to pay $1699.99 for a 6920. After looking around a bit more, they decided to proceed to share their "knowledge" with me and tell me Doublestar and RRA were the same thing as Colt and Daniel Defense and better shooting.

I tried to get some prices on rifles for them to order and the hilarity continued.

Colt 6920 Socom: $1899.99

KAC SR15: $2499.99

FN Scar 16s: $2799.99

Daniel Defense DDM4 V1: $1899.99

Bushmaster ACR (just out of curiousity): $2300 for basic / $2799 for enhanced

The shop I used for everything recently closed down and this is what I'm left with. I'm all for supporting local gun stores, but really? Has anyone seen price gouging like this or am I the lucky one?

I think I might just wind up ordering from Grant and be happy.

HKBanger
09-27-12, 08:35
Yup.

The only LGS that sells a decent amount of AR15 related items around here is a joke. I've only seen a couple of quality rifles such as the SR-15 and 6920 but they only get maybe one in at a time and sell them for huge mark-ups then make claims that nobody wants "those" kind of AR15's because you're paying for the name and they are not "real quality".

The employees are always telling people to buy the Rock River's because they are "real quality" and Colt's have a lot of problems. It's really quite the joke. Then again, they also try to sell me Taurus handguns and make claims that they are somehow along the lines of an HK but that's another story for another day.

TMS951
09-27-12, 08:41
My LGS has both good and bad manufacturers, but I did notice a lot of the AR's maybe half, were colts.

Only issue was they were all marked at MSRP or maybe even higher? All I know is I didn't feel compelled to 'support' them at those prices.

midSCarolina
09-27-12, 08:43
The only two retailers I go to around here are Palmetto State Armory and Shooters Choice. Shooters is about the opposite for AR stuff. I got my NIB LMT 14.5" upper with the LMT rear sight and BCG for $545. They also have a few Barrett .50s for $8600 right now... a guy came in the other day and bought 3.... one to shoot and 2 to keep in his safe as an investment.

There are a few pawn shops around here trying to get $550 for used Gen3 Glocks :blink:

Fr3EK
09-27-12, 08:45
Good to know this is isn't just me. I called a place about an hour and a half away and asked for their prices and they had much much much better pricing. I told them about my dilemma and they were shocked and horrified at what they heard.

sammage
09-27-12, 09:45
Yes, we call it the local gun store, where I look but never buy. Much rather buy online for a fair price.

I-M4-REAL
09-27-12, 09:57
I feel your pain!The LGS down the road is the SOS as yours!Over priced AR junk wanna be's!They stock-Oly,BM,DPMS at or over what you could buy a Colt 6920 for!
The funny thing is that you see people buying them up like crazy along with over priced ammo to go along with it...Have'nt they ever heard of the internet?Whata RIPP-OFF!!!!
I called them(LGS) a few years back when the Colt LE6920's where down to $1050 online and bought one and wanted to do a FFL transfer and when it came in they where like "why did'nt you just buy a Oly AR from us for $50 less and no $20 transfer fee"?.."Thats $70 exrta dollars you coulda spent on ammo"!$980 for an OLY!!:sarcastic:
This is the 'norm' for most LGS and obviously they do quit well selling any cheap brand of AR POS the can put on the shelf(along w/others).Plus the owner of the LGS always comes out from underneath his rock when your $400 less online gun purchase comes in for FFL transfer and knocks it in one way or other.... Which I could care less what that dumb f*@k thinks...Whata bunch of IDIOTS!

fallenromeo
09-27-12, 10:11
I think everyone has a LGS like that in their area. Around here, probably 1 of 10 actually has reasonable prices. Also, even the LGS' that knows what they are talking about when it comes to quality, still stock RRA and BM, etc because there is a lot of markup on those rifles and they are a business first and foremost. They want to make money, can't fault them for that.

nineteenkilo
09-27-12, 10:14
Your local gun store mirrors ever single one that I encounter around here. They all suck at life.

1. Horrendous markups
2. Complete lack of knowledge about their products
3. Are dicks when confronted about it

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-27-12, 10:21
Yep got one of them I never go there

3 AE
09-27-12, 10:55
Thank goodness there are a lot of buyers willing to part with their money on the rifles from the many companies already mentioned. If they ever decided to hold out for the DDs, Colts, BCMs, LMTs,etc, we'd have a hell of a long wait trying to buy them at "exorbitant" prices! ;)

Fr3EK
09-27-12, 11:03
They just got a Scar 17s in and has a tag of $3699 and $3899 with extra mag.....

Yup, going to Grant....

500grains
09-27-12, 11:04
Buy online.

TacticalSledgehammer
09-27-12, 11:07
I think everyone has stores like that. Most of the general public think bushmaster is better than colt and dpms is as good. You can blame the dealers for that.

devinsdad
09-27-12, 11:16
The profit margins on Bushmaster, PSA, RRA's and the like are a helluva lot higher than they are on Colts, DD's etc. Gun stores are in the buisness was to make money, not to stock high priced rifles that may take a month to sell. The average shooter doesn't know the difference, and quite frankly unless you already know...they ALL look the same. I quit going to gun stores years ago when the markups and taxes outweighed the price of a transfer. No store really cares anymore (I'm sure there the odd one out there) as they ship broke guns to the company instead of repairing. Liability insurance costs you know. Small shops cannot compete with Wally worlds And Internet stores. They hire retards, overcharge and now with the ability for anyone to point and click for anything from a Holland and Holland to a Rossi...NO store can stock that range of product. Save your money, gas and time and buy what you want thru the net.

lethal dose
09-27-12, 11:19
I compare gun stores and the folks that work there to car lots and their salesmen.

Fr3EK
09-27-12, 11:21
I compare gun stores and the folks that work there to car lots and their salesmen.

That's a great way to look at it.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

eperk
09-27-12, 13:35
I'm lucky enough to have a LGS that has more than fair prices. Got my LMT Defender 2000 for around $1100. They don't sell Bushmasters or DPMS. Mainly Colts, LMT's, and a scattering of Stags. Ammo prices match the internet when you include shipping and they have an armourer who loves to work on AR's. It's a large store, locally owned, and does one heck of a business because people trust the owner and to my knowledge he has never screwed anyone.
If you are ever in Tupelo, Ms. the name of the business is Hunter's Haven. They will treat you right.

krypto
09-27-12, 20:03
Sadly, I have found gunshops in my area to be on par with gun shows: good places to look at and feel different models, but not a good place to buy them.

Suwannee Tim
09-27-12, 20:16
Yeah, we have one like that. They call themselves Green Acres Sporting Goods. I used to buy a lot of guns from the old man John Farhat when I was a kid and he was a young man. Now the sons and grandsons run the place and they think their shit don't stink and their guns are worth 20% more than the competition.

C4IGrant
09-27-12, 20:18
The profit margins on Bushmaster, PSA, RRA's and the like are a helluva lot higher than they are on Colts, DD's etc. Gun stores are in the buisness was to make money, not to stock high priced rifles that may take a month to sell. The average shooter doesn't know the difference, and quite frankly unless you already know...they ALL look the same. I quit going to gun stores years ago when the markups and taxes outweighed the price of a transfer. No store really cares anymore (I'm sure there the odd one out there) as they ship broke guns to the company instead of repairing. Liability insurance costs you know. Small shops cannot compete with Wally worlds And Internet stores. They hire retards, overcharge and now with the ability for anyone to point and click for anything from a Holland and Holland to a Rossi...NO store can stock that range of product. Save your money, gas and time and buy what you want thru the net.

This.

What is really funny though is that I have the exact opposite problem. All the best gear guns and pricing, but the majority of my local consumers are interested in the guns that the OP listed! I often wonder if I am in Bizzaro world. :blink:

C4

eesmith4
09-27-12, 20:51
This.

What is really funny though is that I have the exact opposite problem. All the best gear guns and pricing, but the majority of my local consumers are interested in the guns that the OP listed! I often wonder if I am in Bizzaro world. :blink:

C4

I believe it.

I bought my MRP NIB for $1,399, the hunting store/gunshop said they'd never stock another LMT again. It sat on the shelf for 2+ years, all the local hurr durr bubbas came in and said they could get a "just as good as" DPMS or BM for $950 down the street.

There's a couple tactical/LE oriented shops in my AO that stock higher end guns and do a decent business, bet even they have to carry a selection of lower end guns for the LSHD crowd.

I used to despise the bottom feeder ARs, but have come around to the thinking that they give the tards something to shoot dirt clods with 2 or three times a year, while reserving the good stuff to those of us that run our gear hard.

I don't want to think of the wait times if everyone bought BCM or LMT, plus the thought of an MRP stuck gathering dust in a closet, only coming out once a year so it's mouth breather owner can shoot beer cans almost makes me want to cry.

DeftwillP
09-27-12, 20:56
There's still plenty of idiots. That's why most LGS make it.

Moose-Knuckle
09-27-12, 21:14
Hell even the Wal-Mart in my AO has Colt 6920 for under $1100 and cans of M193 for under $200.

I make my purchases online, way better deals to be had and MUCH better selection.

austinN4
09-27-12, 21:30
I'm all for supporting local gun stores, but really? Has anyone seen price gouging like this or am I the lucky one?

I think I might just wind up ordering from Grant and be happy.
This is really, really old news. And you "think" you might order from Grant. What is wrong with your thought processes? Just do it!

LHS
09-28-12, 01:30
I had one old LGS owner tell me that he hated Hi-Points and Judges, but they sold like hotcakes and paid for the Colts, LMTs and DDs that hung on the walls for months before someone bought them.

anthony1
09-28-12, 02:25
Devinsdad pretty much summed it up.

I don't really hold it against them though, they have to make a living. I've ordered every gun Ive ever purchased online. Pretty much just go in, avoid any gun related discussion, complete transfer and leave.

C4IGrant
09-28-12, 10:23
I had one old LGS owner tell me that he hated Hi-Points and Judges, but they sold like hotcakes and paid for the Colts, LMTs and DDs that hung on the walls for months before someone bought them.

This would be 100% true in my store.

C4

C4IGrant
09-28-12, 10:25
There's still plenty of idiots. That's why most LGS make it.

This.

The phone calls I get for guns is everything we would make fun of on this forum.

We are in our own little world (twenty percenters). The majority (eighty percenters) are the Hi-point buyers.

C4

Cesiumsponge
09-28-12, 19:58
The store needs to move inventory to make money. Like the others have stated, the supply is often there to meed the given demand.

I'm lucky enough I live by Rainier Arms. They carry nothing but Grade-A black rifles and accessories in a small showroom with an awesome staff. Given most of their sales are online, they can afford to keep out the mediocre stuff and the bottom-barrel priced stuff that people here can pick up from every other gun store. Not a lot of folks are going to walk through the door and drop two grand on a Noveske so they don't get a ton of foot traffic from folks "looking for a bargain".

RogerinTPA
09-28-12, 20:06
Buy online.

THIS...in Spades!

I check out gunstores like women do malls, except I don't buy shit. If I find something interesting, I google it, purchase, then pay the transfer fee to my local FFL. Except for today thou. Bought two very low use, practically brand new Arsenal SLR-107Fs from a buddy at great prices ;)

RD62
09-28-12, 20:22
The only two retailers I go to around here are Palmetto State Armory and Shooters Choice. Shooters is about the opposite for AR stuff. I got my NIB LMT 14.5" upper with the LMT rear sight and BCG for $545. They also have a few Barrett .50s for $8600 right now... a guy came in the other day and bought 3.... one to shoot and 2 to keep in his safe as an investment.

There are a few pawn shops around here trying to get $550 for used Gen3 Glocks :blink:

You got an LMT upper from Shooter's?

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-12, 20:23
Except for today thou. Bought two very low use, practically brand new Arsenal SLR-107Fs from a buddy at great prices ;)

I'm foliage green with envy, God I love those rifles. Congrats on what I'm sure was an awesome deal.

Suwannee Tim
09-28-12, 20:26
Today I'm at the range and some youngster shows up shooting a Savage 308. As we were walking downrange to get our targets I asked how he did. Not too well he told me. He showed me targets, a couple from a couple of weeks ago, not too bad. Some from last week, not too good. Today, bad. I examined the rifle, loose scope base. Installed by a "gunsmith" at the gun store I mentioned above. I told him they owe him a hundred rounds of ammo. I doubt he will collect.